Heli Builder
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org Rotary Encoders - from old broken Monitors

I got hold of 5 broken CRT monitors which has these rotary encoders still intact. They are referred to as OSD shuttle knobs in the monitor's user manual. (I am referring to the monitors which has a wheel to turn to change the monitor settings.) This is what it looks like taken out:

After a brief search I managed to locate the manufacturer of these devices. The manufacturer is Switch Channel. The model on the photo is a RE11. If you download the RE11 datasheet you will be greeted with a rich source of information like the specifications, operation and part numbering format of the encoder. The link is http://www.switchchannel.com/product...re11/index.htm

I am using these encoders for the heading/course selector. It is hooked up to a PIC18F4550 microcontroller.

Best of all is that the PC distributor company gave the broken monitors away for free.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    I got hold of 5 broken CRT monitors which has these rotary encoders still intact. They are referred to as OSD shuttle knobs in the monitor's user manual. (I am referring to the monitors which has a wheel to turn to change the monitor settings.) This is what it looks like taken out:

After a brief search I managed to locate the manufacturer of these devices. The manufacturer is Switch Channel. The model on the photo is a RE11. If you download the RE11 datasheet you will be greeted with a rich source of information like the specifications, operation and part numbering format of the encoder. The link is http://www.switchchannel.com/product...re11/index.htm

I am using these encoders for the heading/course selector. It is hooked up to a PIC18F4550 microcontroller.

Best of all is that the PC distributor company gave the broken monitors away for free.
    Thats how we like to keep costs down.

Great stuff.

Trev