Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org Newbie Interested in Opencockpits Modules

Howdy folks!...I've been searching for help to get my new Opencockpits 737NG MCP up and running in X-Plane v9 on Windows XP Pro system...I've recently converted to a Windows platform solely to take advantage of the modules as they don't currently run on my old Mac OS (I was using my G5 for years and just built my own Windows based PC)...anyway, I've got all the hardware but not the know how to get the MCP and Multiple Radio up and running...I've tried time and time again to get help from Opencockpits but they simply ignore me even after spending almost $1000USD on their equipment...I've registered for acces to their forums but they never sent me a password to access...I'm really hoping someone can step up and give me a hand...keep in mind please that I am a Mac person from years back and very new to the PC world so please bear with me...thanks, and I'm hoping to establish some great relationships with all of you!

BANZAI

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hey,

Well your first problem may be that your using X-Plane, I don't know many of us that are, most of us are using FS9 or FS10 for interfacing, but welcome none the less.

Hopefully someone can help you out.

Trev

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Hey,

Well your first problem may be that your using X-Plane, I don't know many of us that are, most of us are using FS9 or FS10 for interfacing, but welcome none the less.

Hopefully someone can help you out.

Trev
    Thanks!...I have both programs but not too familiar with MSFS...I don't even know how to setup my Saitek Yoke/Throttle Quad or CH Pedals in MS...seems so complicated but I think the setup of my modules would probably be much easier in FS9 what ya think?...can ya help with setting up the flight controls for FS9...you may just be the one to convince me to convert!

Thanks again for saying Hi!

smleingang

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Well, I can tell you that there are lots of guys on this site that are using OC and Fs9, so i assure you one of them can get you going.

As for setting up your controls in FS. Spend the 30 bucks and buy FSUIPC for FS9 not the one for FSX.

Then you will go into your FS9 Settings assignments and delete all the assignments in fligtsim. your better off setting up your Saitek stuff in FSUIPC instead, plus, when you get your OC cards working, you will program your OC buttons and switches through FSUIPC as well.

SO there you go, you should have something to get you started. now, just get some of these OC guys and they will help you with that setup.

We are all here to help, But Just ask a couple little questions at a time. nobody will be able to answer a waft of questions all at once, especially the "how do I do this ones" LOL.

Welcome again to Mycockpit.org. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Trev

5. Thanks smleingang thanked for this post

Well, I can tell you that there are lots of guys on this site that are using OC and Fs9, so i assure you one of them can get you going.

As for setting up your controls in FS. Spend the 30 bucks and buy FSUIPC for FS9 not the one for FSX.

Then you will go into your FS9 Settings assignments and delete all the assignments in fligtsim. your better off setting up your Saitek stuff in FSUIPC instead, plus, when you get your OC cards working, you will program your OC buttons and switches through FSUIPC as well.

SO there you go, you should have something to get you started. now, just get some of these OC guys and they will help you with that setup.

We are all here to help, But Just ask a couple little questions at a time. nobody will be able to answer a waft of questions all at once, especially the "how do I do this ones" LOL.

Welcome again to Mycockpit.org. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Trev
    Thanks so much Trevor...this seems like a very friendly and helpful site...glad I found it and don't worry, I'm not going to be a pest!...I'm perfectly fine with searching and reading to learn...just need a little help every now and then to get pointed in the right direction...I was deep into MSFS98 before I got tuned on to XP (great group of folks too but not as eager to offer help) so it shouldn't take to long to get the hang of it again!

smleingang

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

smleingang...

You will find MSFS much easier (most likely) to run and build a full size sim, since there's much more to offer and the user base is much larger. In fact, I see no reason why you couldnt have your sim using both software sim platforms, as long as you have hardware that is in fact compatible with both softwares.

Have a good read of this here: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_...ith_FSUIPC.pdf

This is a guide that should do the same for any input device such as CH, Saitek, etc.

Also, good luck!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

8. Thanks smleingang thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    smleingang...

You will find MSFS much easier (most likely) to run and build a full size sim, since there's much more to offer and the user base is much larger. In fact, I see no reason why you couldnt have your sim using both software sim platforms, as long as you have hardware that is in fact compatible with both softwares.

Have a good read of this here: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/CH_...ith_FSUIPC.pdf

This is a guide that should do the same for any input device such as CH, Saitek, etc.

Also, good luck!
    Thank you so much for your help!...really excited to get things rolling!!!

Thanks again!

smleingang

150+ Forum Groupie

... delete all the assignments in fligtsim. your better off setting up your Saitek stuff in FSUIPC instead ...
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have FSUIPC and configure my Saitek X52 in FSX not FSUIPC. I wasn't aware there was much difference, other than that FSUIPC allows extra configurations (e.g. separate reverse thrust on axis rather than button). Can you enlighten me?
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I have FSUIPC and configure my Saitek X52 in FSX not FSUIPC. I wasn't aware there was much difference, other than that FSUIPC allows extra configurations (e.g. separate reverse thrust on axis rather than button). Can you enlighten me?
    He probably advised me to get the FS9 version due to the fact that I'm running FS9 and not X...there may be a compatibility/features issue with FSX?!?...just my thoughts!

smleingang

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Banzai,

I've not yet seen the full version of X Plane 9, although the demo looks good. I think deciding on your platform is the single most important early decision, even before choosing which aircraft you're going to model.

I have a friend who is a devout X Plane fan, constantly boasting about getting ridiculous frame rates and reliability. For the casual gamer you can just have both this and FS 9 / 10 and switch whenever. But when you get into cockpit building you're dedicating your system far more. Dedicating to a platform, dedicating to a simulator, and in most cases to a specific aircraft.

I have flown my friend's sim quite a bit and I have to say that X-Plane sucks in terms of its support for hardware add ons. There's also far fewer commercial add ons available, although plenty of free stuff, much of it is really good. Problem is because much of it is free, it's developed by software people most of whom are not pilots. This is evident in some of the aircraft systems which behave totally unlike the real system, based often on the developers misinterpretation as to what a system does. As an example of this, on my friend's 737, in vertical navigation mode, the aircraft is meant to climb to specified altitudes using a standard climb rate. On the version he uses, it climbs at whatever rate gets it to the specified altitude by the next waypoint. This often means 200fpm climb when around mountains!!!! It's just the developer not understanding how the systems work.

With FS 9/ 10, you have plenty of commercial add-on suppliers, and a vast majority of it is very good and nicely priced. X-Plane 8 on the other hand, doesn't allow you to pan views so easily as you can in FS. It does provide networking support for panels however, which is key to most cockpits.

I think you should make your decision early on. I don't think anyone here would disagree, that the support on forums such as this, that make people sim building dreams take flight. If you go the FS route you'll get a ton of support from here. Welcome!
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

13. Thanks smleingang thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast