Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Talking New F-84 project

I finally managed to secure a fighter cockpit puchase after several months of digging around. Next weekend I get to drive down to Texas to pick up my very own F-84F Thunderstreak. Yea!

It's complete cockpit & forward fuselage except for the radio and gunsight. The radio panel shouldn't be much trouble to get and I can machine a copy of the gunsight by taking measurements from the F-84 at KAM. Frankly I'm surprised I was able to pick up a pit that wasn't stripped. The ejection seat, throttle quadrent, stick and rudder pedals are all there with the rest of the instruments. The F-84 wasn't my first choice in fighters I'd want, but heck all those gages look pretty cool. It should prove to be a fun project the next few years. Getting all those instruments to interface with a computer should be a fun challenge.

I should have some detail pics to post later this weekend.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I finally managed to secure a fighter cockpit puchase after several months of digging around. Next weekend I get to drive down to Texas to pick up my very own F-84F Thunderstreak. Yea!

It's complete cockpit & forward fuselage except for the radio and gunsight. The radio panel shouldn't be much trouble to get and I can machine a copy of the gunsight by taking measurements from the F-84 at KAM. Frankly I'm surprised I was able to pick up a pit that wasn't stripped. The ejection seat, throttle quadrent, stick and rudder pedals are all there with the rest of the instruments. The F-84 wasn't my first choice in fighters I'd want, but heck all those gages look pretty cool. It should prove to be a fun project the next few years. Getting all those instruments to interface with a computer should be a fun challenge.

I should have some detail pics to post later this weekend.
    Great Job. the first thing I would do if I was you would be remove the Pyro's from the ejection seat.. but that would be my choice, you may want them for a quick escape from the wife/girlfriend. LOL

Great stuff, we want to see pictures.

Trev

Here is a pic of the F-84 from the Barnstormers ad. I got it for $3k for the pit and $1500 for the new trailer thrown in. IMHO, $3k is a steal for how complete it is.

A few things I'm pondering:
    1) I want to dig up the history of the aircraft. Anyone know where the data plate is on a F-84?
    2) What paint scheme should I use on the exterior?
    3) Do I really want to keep it in the current configuration, or should I cut it down further to make it more movable? 7ft height by 19ft length is a bit of a pain. It would be nice if it was the size of a car so I could store and work on it in the garage. Preserving what is there vs. making it managable to work with?
    4) Keep it on the trailer for now or sell the trailer and build a cradle to move it around with? My family already has a trailer just like this one.

Airbus

What did ya pay for the F84 complete? If ya don't mind me askin and not sure why you would lol. Not like Im gonna run down and try and outbid ya Good Luck with the project F 84 is very sabre like and Im sure itll be a sweet pit when your done. are all 20 guages in and intact?

Regards

Tim
    A340

Quote Originally Posted by warvet View Post
    What did ya pay for the F84 complete? If ya don't mind me askin and not sure why you would lol. Not like Im gonna run down and try and outbid ya Good Luck with the project F 84 is very sabre like and Im sure itll be a sweet pit when your done. are all 20 guages in and intact?

Regards

Tim
    A340
    It was $3000 for what you see in the picture and $1500 for the trailer. No idea what it cost complete. I've only had the option to buy it in this cut form. I'll know a lot more in the next day or so. He's pulling it out of closed storage and carwashing it and cleaning in preperation for me picking it up. Apparently it's pretty dusty at the moment with it being in closed storage for a few years. As far as I understand it's only missing the gunsight and radio. Everything else is there. He's snapping a bunch of detail digital photos and sending them to me this weekend. From just looking at the single pic, it looks like I'm gonna have to learn sheetmetal working. It looks like the nose gear door is pretty rusted away.

For the last few years contacts have been quoting me $6k minimum for stripped cockpits, so I couldn't pass this one up at it's price and completeness.

Pondering... anyone know of a good F-84 FS9 or FSX aircraft? Does AlphaSim have one?

Great stuff Brad. I would cut the nose section off, just in front of the Firewall, but that is just my opinion.

Shorter is better.

Airbus

BRAD!
    WOW my friend that is utterly FANTASTIC! Great score for sure. Hmmmmm I understand why Trev would go that route with nose removal but honestly Brad it truly is a piece of recognizable history. That nose was the last thing a communist Jet saw before BYE BYE happened It adds character but if you really need space do it Trev's way if not save its integrity. Paint scheme:[media]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/f-84-0000001e.jpg[/media] In my opinion I would go with traditional again to preserve historical integrety but hey Brad its up to you, its your Bird and wars over lol. As far as trailer Id sell it and recover some of the pits cost to put towards restoration if your family already has one. All I can say is great score and can't wait to see the inside pics.

Regards
    Tim
    A340

I agree Tim the nostalgia is import, I must be to young but I thought it was the F-86 that went up against the Russian Mig. I don't think I am that familiar with the F-84. You probably know your history better then I do, As I am "MUCH YOUNGER" LOL Just kidding, but the F-86 was the SaberJet, did the F-84 have a name assigned to it?

Trev

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

The Thunderstreak I beleive it was.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!