75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

linear slider pots to use with phidgets 8/8/8/

hi fellow simmers,
    can any one give me any ideas on which type of linear slide pots to interface to the phidgets 8/8/8/ card?
    ive had a look around and need pots with 100mm of travel for my throttles,the alps ones look good but im a little confused on all the jargon and what it means,what does 100k mean,also the power the pot puts through to the board must be 0 to 5vdc,ect,(i think that supplied by the phidget board,)
    i can just buy the pots from active robots but i will need some method of reducing the distance the pot move,as the real throttles move a fair way and a 60mm pot is not big enough,
    any help gratefully received,
    cheers boys,
    steve diamond

Administrator

Re: linear slider pots to use with phidgets 8/8/8/

Quote Originally Posted by steve diamond
    hi fellow simmers,
    can any one give me any ideas on which type of linear slide pots to interface to the phidgets 8/8/8/ card?
    ive had a look around and need pots with 100mm of travel for my throttles,the alps ones look good but im a little confused on all the jargon and what it means,what does 100k mean,also the power the pot puts through to the board must be 0 to 5vdc,ect,(i think that supplied by the phidget board,)
    i can just buy the pots from active robots but i will need some method of reducing the distance the pot move,as the real throttles move a fair way and a 60mm pot is not big enough,
    any help gratefully received,
    cheers boys,
    steve diamond
    Steve

The 100K refers to the resistance of the pot in ohms. The "throw" of the pot will be the distance the arm will travel from one end to another. It's important to use a linear pot. That way the equal amount of resistance is throughout. This way the throttle travel would be consistent from flight idle to full open. Pot that work for audio may not be linear and should be checked carefully.

The value of the pot may be more in reference to the interface it will be used with.

With FS2Phidgets software you can control the length of the pot stroke within the parameters. This way designing a lever arm to transfer movement of the throttles to the pot.

I hope this information is useful to you

Phidgets Slider 60 mm

Hey Steve,
    What I don't (yet) understand is why the lever movement can not be adjusted to 60mm travel. Isn't this a case of moving the connection to the sliderpot closer to the center-axis on which the lever turns?

This is the Phidgets slider I have purchased to power up throttles and flaps (still in the plastic wrapper)
    Kester Meijer
    http://www.mycockpit.nl - to see my cockpit construction
    Certified De-Ice Supervisor EHAM

75+ Posting Member

thanks for the replys,

hi guys,thanks for the replys,the 737 quad is designed to be connected to cables to control throttles,flaps ect,speed brake and parking brake are lever operated,the actual throttle is quite hard to connect in to as the inner part has to rotate to activate the reversers,will show my dutch mate when he comes over,but i will have solved the problem by then,
    im going to try to connect closer to the center to reduce the travel,but the pics ive seen of real setups already made up they have attached at the outside and so the travel is much longer,
    will have a go over the next few weeks,
    ps has anyone bought phidgets from active robots,,ive emailed for some advice three times and no answer as yet,??!!!
    bye for now,
    steve