Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

You'll now be psycho-profiled at the airport

Subject:
    MUMBAI: Going to the airport? Get ready to be psycho-profiled . Wary of increasing terror attacks , the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), in-charge of security at the Mumbai airport and 53 other airports in the country, has begun psycho-profiling all passengers to be able to correctly pin down potential hijackers, terrorists, gangsters, smugglers and drug-peddlers .

Lessons in psycho-profiling , a method of examining psychological behaviour patterns by way of observation and questioning, were imparted to the CISF early this year by officials of the Israel national airline El Al, one of the most security-conscious airlines in the world which has had this system for years and by officials of Indian intelligence agencies.

The profiling exercise, implemented recently at the Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Bangalore airports apart from those in the North-East , involves five steps, according to CISF officials.

First is to look for three signs common to terrorists and other trouble-makers : 1) the passenger looks very focussed as he waits at the airport terminal or in the queue 2) he sits in a corner at the terminal and appears keen to minimise visibility 3) he does not talk to other passengers but maintains a safe distance always

Anyone -- and it could be an innocent passenger --showing these signs will now be asked to step aside and be subjected to rigorous frisking. If this does not satisfy the security personnel, they will take the third step: they will pose a series of questions to the passenger.

A list of these questions has been given to them by El Al and the intelligence agencies (see 'Five Basic Questions'). If satisfactory answers to these are not found, the passenger will be strip-searched the way George Fernandes was in the US after 9/11.

And if even that's not convincing, the CISF will call in other agencies for coordinated and sustained search and interrogation. Images of the passenger captured by CCTVs too will be then observed to get an accurate picture.

Fifty per cent of the surveillance staff have already been trained in this method and the rest will be trained soon as the experience of the IC-814 hijack and recent terror attacks have forced CISF officials to be extra-alert, officials said.

"We're profiling all people who use air travel facilities. This will make things easier for travellers who are well-behaved”.
    Kester Meijer
    http://www.mycockpit.nl - to see my cockpit construction
    Certified De-Ice Supervisor EHAM

25+ Posting Member

...and the 5 questions are.......

1. Are you a terrorist?
    2. Are you a fanatic or homicidal maniac?
    3. Are you carrying any explosives?
    4. Do you have a cockpit mock-up at home?
    5. If yes to 4. above, do you intend to stab the crew so that you can 'Have a go' on the real thing?

Skywatch

I was asked recently at the airport check-in "Has anyone put anything in your bags without your knowledge?". I replied "If they did it without my knowledge then I wouldn't actually KNOW that they did it - would I?". The staff person said "hmmm.. hadn't thought of that".
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicD View Post
    I was asked recently at the airport check-in "Has anyone put anything in your bags without your knowledge?". I replied "If they did it without my knowledge then I wouldn't actually KNOW that they did it - would I?". The staff person said "hmmm.. hadn't thought of that".
    And THIS shows the high intelligence level of the people selected to secure the safety of our flights and the people who train them.

best,

.................john

25+ Posting Member

Nic,

Did you see the report of a guy in Australia being allowed on board with a petrol driven chainsaw? I have the report somewhere...

Skywatch

150+ Forum Groupie

Travelling to the US from the UK under the Visa waiver scheme this summer I was required to fill in a form. Among some of the usual questions you expect such as "Do you intend to stay longer than 3 months", "Do you intend to work during your visit" I was also asked, "Are you, or have you been, involved in a terrorist organisation", "Were you a member of the Nazi government of Germany" (This made me laugh as Im only 22 (Im also not a terrorist)). I wonder if anyone has ever answered yes to any of these.

When I landed and got to passport control I was "interrogated" by a security guard type guy. He asked normal things such as "what is the purpose of my visit", "am I carrying any vegetables etc" Then went on to ask some quite bizzare questions, "What do you do for a living",
    "Im a computer programmer"
    "What do you program"
    "I program aircraft systems"
    [He raises an eyebrow]
    "Do you spend a lot of time inside aircraft"
    "Only now and then"
    "Hmm." [Some secondary questioning is needed, next set of questions to be delivered at break neck speed].
    "Where are you staying"
    "A friends house in Richmond"
    "What is his name"
    "Adrian"
    "Second name"
    "Erm Martin"
    "Does he have a car"
    "Ermm I think so"
    "What make is the car"
    "Its aaaaa Toyata"
    "How long has he been in the US"
    "Errmmm about a year".
    [He is then satisfied that I am not a terrorist and have provided sufficient depth of information. I am now allowed to leave.]

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by tomenglish2000 View Post
    went on to ask some quite bizzare questions...
    I think this is a stalling tactic as much as anything. Gives them time to think something intelligent to ask or see if you are a cheap-*** terrorist that couldn't be bothered to have a bit of a story behind him. Clearly in this official's case his brain couldn't stretch that far
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    I think this is a stalling tactic as much as anything. Gives them time to think something intelligent to ask or see if you are a cheap-*** terrorist that couldn't be bothered to have a bit of a story behind him. Clearly in this official's case his brain couldn't stretch that far
    I know we are all having a bit of fun with this, but there is a lot going on that you guys are not aware of with these questions, stuff none of us (with the exception of DAL900) will be privy to and even he is limited. Efforts are continuously being made to undermind the security of the USA, UK, and many, many other countries around the globe. However, I have to say, 'anyone placing anything in your bag without your knowledge' is quite a laugh and always wondered my self how I'd know if it was without my knowledge!

Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Nic,

Did you see the report of a guy in Australia being allowed on board with a petrol driven chainsaw? I have the report somewhere...

Skywatch
    No I hadn't heard of that one - wow!
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

75+ Posting Member

Ok, im not sure if many of you guys have flown to or from Australia before and noticed this, but this cracked me up. During the in flight meals from Canada to Singapore we were given Silver forks and knives. A stop over at Singapore and then the trip to Australia we were only alowed plastic knives and forks for security reasons ???

Another trip to Bali months later, Silver knives and forks from Perth to Bali, however Bali to Perth, Plastic Knives and Forks. Must be the intelligence.

So my question is why is it ok to have silver one way and not the other ?

In any case thats why that guy brought his own chainsaw i guess, you know how tough those inflight steaks can get and how are you suppose to cut it with a plastic fork anyways ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast