Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Phidgets programmable through FSUIPC?

Hello,

I just bought a couple of extra Phidget boards. I'm using FS2Phidget for configuring what I want happening. However it is quite limited, especially when comparing with FSUIPC capability.

Is it possible to get FSUIPC to program a phidget board, instead of using FS2Phidget? I'm wondering if the answer lies somewhere in the Variable Editor which is part of FS2Phidget. Also I have a couple of the text LCD modules which you can set up to display 6 pieces of info via FS2Phidget. However it would be great to set this up so that it's more of a multi-funciton display, perhaps with a rotating selector to select different 'views', e.g. radios, navigation, engine instruments, fuel, ATIS. You get the idea

The other thing is that I finally got cables to use the analogue inputs. I wired in a potentiometer, and as I moved it through its range, I started getting smoke and a burning smell of the pot. Also the LCD screen which is part of the same module, went blank when the pot was turned enough. Thankfully nothing damaged (even the pot)

Realizing there's a few questions here, anyone care to provide any light on teh subjects mentioned?

Thanks in anticipation

Paul
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Hello,

I just bought a couple of extra Phidget boards. I'm using FS2Phidget for configuring what I want happening. However it is quite limited, especially when comparing with FSUIPC capability.

Is it possible to get FSUIPC to program a phidget board, instead of using FS2Phidget? I'm wondering if the answer lies somewhere in the Variable Editor which is part of FS2Phidget. Also I have a couple of the text LCD modules which you can set up to display 6 pieces of info via FS2Phidget. However it would be great to set this up so that it's more of a multi-funciton display, perhaps with a rotating selector to select different 'views', e.g. radios, navigation, engine instruments, fuel, ATIS. You get the idea

The other thing is that I finally got cables to use the analogue inputs. I wired in a potentiometer, and as I moved it through its range, I started getting smoke and a burning smell of the pot. Also the LCD screen which is part of the same module, went blank when the pot was turned enough. Thankfully nothing damaged (even the pot)

Realizing there's a few questions here, anyone care to provide any light on teh subjects mentioned?

Thanks in anticipation

Paul
    Hi Paul,

No the only way you can program through FSUIPC is if the boards are detected as joysticks in windows.

This is not the case. Phidgets are the most incredible interfaces going. Why wouldn't you want to use FS2phidgets.

Fs2phidgets allows you to make the devices do what ever function in fs, that you would like to do.

Trev

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Trev,

I totally agree about FS2Phidget. I just upgraded to the latest version and the logic expression feature opens a world of possibilities.

However the one thing I'm trying to do is use a rotary switch like a potentiometer, except that its mechanical stops helps produce a finite number of resistances. Think of a potentiometer with fixed stops. This allows a 12 position rotary switch to give 12 different 'modes' out of one analog input, rather than having to use 12 digital inputs.

There is a way of setting up FSUIPC to recognize resistance 'bands' from a potentiometer, as I'm sure you guys already know. However I haven't found an equivalent to this in FS2Phidget. This isn't a big issue as I can always cannibalize an old joystick which provides 3 axis and a few buttons. I guess I can also get a joystick emulator for this purpose, although these tend to work out more costly than a cheap joystick from what I've seen.

If there is a way of doing this with FS2Phidget I'm all ears. Thank you for your help so far.

Paul
    VANCOUVER

Hey Paul.

I can't help you with your issue directly, however I have some good advice for you. Alan Dyer (Developer of Fs2Phidgets) Is a support staff member here at Mycockpit.org. Post your request for help with this feature in the "FS2Phidgets Forum" on this website, and Allan will respond quite quickly. secondly, you could send him a Private Message.

I am sure he will have a way to help you with your issue.

He is a very helpful person, and in the past I have seen him add functions by request.

Best regards,

Trev

5. Thanks Paul G thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Allan,

Trev kindly posted my question about FS2Phidget in this section. I'd be interested in knowing if this is possible, or if not, if there's any chance of a modification to allow this. Being able to use analog inputs for multi-mode functions (e.g. efis range), would greatly enhance the appeal of Phidget boards, not least as FSUIPC now allows "click only" panel controls to be mapped as a function.

Thank you

Paul
    VANCOUVER

builder

Paul,

There are 3 options for getting Phidget cards to do what yout need:

(a) Phidgets can be controlled programmatically from pmSystems.
    However, I am not sure if this is only limited to digital input and output.

(b) The source code for FS2Phidget is avaialble on this web site, if you wish to program yourself.

(c) Because decent calibration is essential for goog analog control, and takes a lot of work to program well, I am planning on getting phidget analogs to emulate a Windows joystick.

(d) Fs2phidgets calibrates flap levers and flap gauges by utlizing bands on the analog range. Hmmmmm. Shouldn't be too dificult to extend flaps to other FSUIPC functions.

Oh, that's 4 options.

Regards,
    Alan

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Alan,

I like option d best if it sounds like it's not a huge amount of extra effort on your part. Options b and c also sound good, although with (b) I'm not sure whether I'm up to this kind of challenge.

3...., 4... I wasn't counting

Thank you

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dyer View Post
    Paul,

There are 3 options for getting Phidget cards to do what yout need:

(a) Phidgets can be controlled programmatically from pmSystems.
    However, I am not sure if this is only limited to digital input and output.

(b) The source code for FS2Phidget is avaialble on this web site, if you wish to program yourself.

(c) Because decent calibration is essential for goog analog control, and takes a lot of work to program well, I am planning on getting phidget analogs to emulate a Windows joystick.

(d) Fs2phidgets calibrates flap levers and flap gauges by utlizing bands on the analog range. Hmmmmm. Shouldn't be too dificult to extend flaps to other FSUIPC functions.

Oh, that's 4 options.

Regards,
    Alan
    VANCOUVER

25+ Posting Member

Phidgets has a programming API that you can use to control anything. If you use visual basic, you can load the Phidget API and the FSUIPC DLL and you can control whatever you want.

I used this API to program the rudder trim display in my sim

But generally, Alan's program is your best bet for interfacing with FSUIPC.

Robert
    http://777simulator.com

builder

Read this chain again.

Setting something like the EFIS range values, EFIS Modes is not something one would normally do with analog input. Typically, one would use digital inputs for that.

However, each position of the switch (each setting) will consume one "port" of your digital input card. Those two EFIS switches would require most of the digital inputs on a 0/16/16 card.

Here is what I did.
    Another builder made up a small circuit board for me that utilizes an 8-to-3 encoder chip (can do same thing with bread-board and some diodes).
    i.e. 7 switch inputs now only consume 3 Phidget ports on a 0/16/16.
    FS2phidget has ability to assign 7 values to each of the 7 possible settings.

Does anyone want me to publish a detailed walk thru on this topic?

Regards,
    Alan.
    Last edited by CocnutAir; 06-23-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Alan,

If you have the time to post this, I for one would like to see how this would be accomplished.

Best regards,

Trev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast