Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ok, but there is a thread a few pages back entitles "VNAV problems" that is quite long -- they are the issues that I'm talking about, like overspeed on descent. Also, several users complained that the functionality makes it too unrealistic to fly with VNAV, especially with aircraft like the 744 which is unrealistic in VNAV under PM. So there is a problem with it, unless it has been fixed since then. Perhaps you just don't expect true realism from the autopilot.

What is the reason why the autopilot is so hard to fix? Is it just too difficult to model when there is only 1 person programming the systems? Is it too complex?

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi

Whilst I can understand your concern, I think you are putting too much emphasis on VNAV if it is the one thing stopping you moving forward. The software offers you an awful lot for the price point, the next step up will cost you 160,000USD for Boeing software suitable for installation in FTD. PM gets you pretty close - especially on the B737 for a fraction of that. There is no way we intend or can compete against the real a/c software - I think a little reality check is required from time to time - although I agree in a perfect world.... it would be nice.

The reason you are seeing a lot of posts re VNAV is that you also see it with regard to the 747 (and other Boeing types) and VNAV has been a little confused due to the cross type support requirements. For us, it would be *much* easier to focus on one VNAV logic and drop the others - then you might have more perfection, but someone would be upset. So, we take it in steps and see how we can eventually support the cross types amongst everything else that has to be done and 'try' to keep everyone happy. I'm afraid this takes time - and a lot of it.

We do not put VNAV high on our agenda (at this time) you have two other automatic vertical modes to use. Even VNAV INOP won't stop a 737 departing real world. For the heavy a/c types, then yes I sympathise more, for those guys the lesser VNAV is more frustrating because it is much more fundamental to ops. On the 737, it can go either way, of course very widely used now - but at the level of GC familiarisation training not a absolute. If you are so worried about VNAV, and this is the one thing preventing you making a 737 v Airbus, I would suggest that (probably) by the time you get anywhere near finished with your simulator, any 737 VNAV problems will have been further developed/improved given that average home user sim builds take over two years.

New builds will be released shortly for Boeing, but we are not on "VNAV" related problems right now in respect to these new releases we are still keeping our attention on matters we consider of greater importance and won't get sidetracked I'm afraid. Plus we have a lot of emphasis on Airbus as well at this time.

Regards
    Jonathan Richardson
    Jonathan Richardson

25+ Posting Member

Thank you for your explanation. However, if you are not intending to fix Vnav for a while, I would hesitate to buy your software until I see some improvments (waiting 2 years maybe) or else be forced to look for alternatives. I'm sure you can understand, but instrument flight is very important to me, and I like to fly using Vnav, etc.. no matter how important it may be or not. I can do it on the desktop 737 packages without any issues, and I would feel naked going back to the primative A/P modes despite having a full cockpit. It would feel very incomplete to me.

I realize Vnav system logic is hard to model, but other companies seem to be able to do it well for the desktop market, so it must be doable...no? Why can't you get it right and they can?

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 737aqua View Post
    Thank you for your explanation. However, if you are not intending to fix Vnav for a while, I would hesitate to buy your software until I see some improvments (waiting 2 years maybe) or else be forced to look for alternatives. I'm sure you can understand, but instrument flight is very important to me, and I like to fly using Vnav, etc.. no matter how important it may be or not. I can do it on the desktop 737 packages without any issues, and I would feel naked going back to the primative A/P modes despite having a full cockpit. It would feel very incomplete to me.

I realize Vnav system logic is hard to model, but other companies seem to be able to do it well for the desktop market, so it must be doable...no? Why can't you get it right and they can?
    You asked for an explanation. One was given. Desktop apps are nothing like PM or other flight system vender's. Let this thread rest!
    Last edited by Trevor Hale; 04-27-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Bob Reed

5. Thanks W9XE/Project777, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12