Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Red face ya

terribly sorry old chap, don't know what earth came over me there....
    anyone for pimms?

righty-o must fly
    toodle pip!
    another bedroom boeing.....

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by steveeverson View Post
    terribly sorry old chap, don't know what earth came over me there....
    anyone for pimms?

righty-o must fly
    toodle pip!
    LMRAO Nice Steve

Matt O.

Think I will come up on the train ..... not sure I could stand 2 hrs of listening to steve talking like that ! .... its taken me a year to learn "Hoodie"

G-holt

Hi guys, just like to say many, many thanks to everyone for the get together on Saturday, it was really nice to see everyone again and meet new guys too.

Enjoyed the tour imensly and look forward to the next day out.......?

Sorry I haven't reported to you all for the past few journey's, been busy building the Fire Control Panel and the FMC, both working nicely and making the Sim much more realistic

Well back to Simmin......

Wednesday the 11th.

Playing on my own again, just can't get the staff, Trolley dolly was realy flying, swine! and poor John still had the snuffles as he did Saturday.

Tokyo (RJAA) to Wakkanai (RJCW)......... still in Japan, just.

OK started at stand 24 Tokyo airport (Narita) raining cats & dogs or is it Yin and Yang?

Weather: wind 105 @ 2kts Rain, cloud base 400ft, scattered at 2000ft temp 19C dew point 17C Q1005 runway in use 16L (that's strange there's only one runway at Narita).

Route: NRE8 (SID), SNE, IZUMI, NZE, MIKRA, YTE, HANKA, MWE, IBURI, NAVER, CHE, KURIS, BEEBA, SUIKA, RUMOI, TESIO and direct to RJCW.

On route winds @ 255/82kts temp @ 37K -51C

FMC programmed with V1 @123, Vr @ 133 and V2 @ 144 kts departure on Narita 117.90

Given clearance, published departures, climb to 5000ft SQ4172.

Pushback and start, clearance to 16R hold short of the runway (appears we have grown another runway all of a sudden)?

Line up and wait, RWY 16R

Cleared takeoff @ 21:52hrs (local), still light in Japan.

Good acceleration and normal takeoff down 16R lift-off, positive climb rate, wheels up and AP/LNAV select, speed set at 220kts.

Reduced flap as speed increases until climb established 220kts @2500ft PM flaps up.

Given clearance to 11,000 and turning right, still on SID, given clearance to 19,000ft changed to standard setting of 1013 at 14,000 (transition altitude).

Broke cloud cover at 11,000ft and had a clear view of snow capped mountains to my left (now heading north).

Further clearances to: 23,000, 29,000, 34,000 and finally 37,000ft, now on VNAV & LNAV, out of the SID and own navigation.

Settled down at 37K speed .776M wind 244/108kts temp -50C

Good clear view of both East & West coast lines as progressing up the Japanese central plains and mountains, stayed with Tokyo Control (various frequencies).

22:46hrs (local) and about 110 miles out given descents to:

35,000, 27,000, 24,000, 16,000 (back to QNH at 14,000), 12,000 reduce speed to 270 kts, 12,000, reduce speed to 240kts, descend to 7,000 turn right to 010 degrees.

Then turn left onto 260 degrees for a right hand circuit onto runway 08 at RJCW, further descents to: 4000ft reduce speed to 220kts descend to 3000ft turn right 355 degrees (at right angle to approach direction), entered mist/light cloud at 4,700ft.

Cleared cloud at about 3,500ft.

Local weather: 360@ 2kts vis 9999 Q1006

Turn right onto 050 degrees no lower than 2,500ft until established on the localiser for approach to RWY 08 on 111.90 with a direction 079 degrees.

Captured centre line and engaged VOR loc to keep us on it, reduce speed to 190kts flaps 5.

Glide slope capture and engage APP to descend down the glideslope and centre line, speed 180kts flaps 10.

Handed over to RJCW approach and given permission to land 080, wind 360 02kts.

Landing lights on, wheels down (3 greens), flaps 15 170kts.

145kts flaps 40, ATC terminated radar contact gives permission for visual approach and landing RWY 08.

Disengage AP @ 300 ft and manual final approach, slight ballooning just before touchdown, but didn't bounce it once on the ground, reverse thrust, brake fairly hard, not a very long runway 7,000ft, turn around at the far end and backtrack on the active to the one and only turn off to the terminal building.

Given clearance to the ramp (only two to choose from 1 or 2), so not a lot of thinking to do, and its directly in front of the taxiway.

Brakes on at stand 2 and engage the APU.

Shutdown and disembark, well go for a piss anyway (me that is).

Well hope you enjoyed the flight as much as I did?

Next week: RJCW to UHPP (Russia.....!!!!)

Daveanne

Hi Dave, Narita has had 2 Runways for ages, not sure if Mickeysoft put it in but its definitely in other sceneries such as Overland Japan series.
    It is difficult to find, they built it miles away from the terminal bit like Amsterdam Polderban Runway.

Little Story for you guys, When I was seeing my Dutch Girlfriend I flew from Coventry to Amsterdam in a Thompson 737 it was a November Night and we had a strong tailwind, actual flying time 35 minutes but we landed on Polderban ... 25 minutes to taxi in !!!!!

Hard braking cos of a 7,000 ft Runway ??? Good god man , your in a 737 !!!
    I regularly put my 747 into Birmingham, and at Innsbruck ! LOL

Enjoy your next trip to Petropovolovsk (I wont shy away and put UHPP)
    it is a regular destination during Wordlflight (only so many ways you can go round) There is some good freeware scenery for UHPP on the disc I sent you, make sure you install it before you go.
    Where after that ? Ancohorage ? if so theres good freeware for there too on the disks.

Oh and look out for the 18,000 foot Volcano's near Pertropa .... Petetro ... Petru .... UHPP just in case that "Huge" 737 of yours can't turn fast enough

Cheers John

G-holt

John, many thanks for the comments, yes I am using the sftware you gave me, and have the majority of it loaded already.

The point about the second runway at Narita, after printing off the approach cards from SIMCharts, it only shows one runway, thats where the confusion is, never mind got away OK anyway.

With regard to the "hard braking", you really do need to read the narrative.

"slight ballooning just before touchdown, but didn't bounce it once on the ground", so I was not on the Piano keys when I made contact with the runway, as you know judging distance with a 2D picture in front of you is not ideal as towards 'how much bleedin runway have I got left to play with'.

Its easier to replace the brake discs than the aircraft!

Best wishes to you all anyway.

Daveanne

ooops, sorry missed the bit about the ballooning.

I see the confusion now, Jeppesen Simcharts were first released many years ago 5 - 6 ?? I dont theink they have been updated since so there will be a few airports that have runways missing.

Cheers John

G-HOLT rides again!

Further adventures of:..........."Two Amateurs and an absent Trolley Dolly" ta ra.....!!

Wakkania (Japan) RJCW to UHPP wait for it (Russia) Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.... everything ends in ski?

Must be something to do with the Yogurt?

John (Mycockpit), said it would be interesting, boy was he right.

OK here we go: Me at the controls, John (Glider pilot) P2, trolley dolly of on a mission of mercy somewhere?

RJCW, Weather: 200 @ 22 kts 8000 mtrs vis Few @ 3,000 Bkn @ 6,000ft 14 degrees temp with a dew point of 12 degrees Q1009.

UHPP 090 @ 1 mps (don't understand knots then), 9999 vis NOSIG Sc @ 7,000 tempo fog 400 ft Q1012, misty man....

20:34hrs local start FMC programming: No SID, direct to LATAK, BUMEN, SENOR, UB and UHPP, no VOR's at all........? except the one at UHPP, but that's only a localiser.... the plot thickens.

So we go for weather and runway in use (using RC4), then the phone rings, not mine, phone in the sim, it dials out and we get ATIS message with the weather, John (Glider pilot) and I look at each other........puzzled!!!

Finish programming FMC and request clearance, once again the phone dials out (realistic sounds), and we get clearance to depart, but contact Tokyo ATC at 1,500ft ?

Hey this is just like flying at SLEAP in my motor-glider mid-week, no one in the tower, but make blind calls so everyone in earshot knows what the **** I'm doing...!

So we backtrack on the active and line up on 26 for departure, blind call again to say we are taking off (20:55), and off we go... fairly uneventful take off three greens, reduce flaps, contact Tokyo and climb to initial clearance of 5,000ft at 220knts.

Given further clearances to: 16,000 turn right, then turn right again on to a Northerly heading, 23,000 (own navigation given), 29,000, 34,000 and then 37,000ft and cruise altitude, we settle down to 0.775M @ 37K wind 320 degrees @ 74kts temp -48C ground speed 450kts indicated 453kts, well I say ground speed we are over the sea now, and lots of it too......

Rather boring now for some 700 miles over 'nowt but sea', however we start to see some small islands on the way.

We are 150 miles out from UHPP and start to get decent's: 35,000, 27,000 24,000 crossing over the coast of Russia, 19,000 (speed 270), 15,000 (speed 249).

13 miles out from UHPP turn right onto 165 for a left hand circuit to 34R at UHPP, we can see the BIG mountains where we are going from sea level up to 11,000ft high, interesting no?

This is where the fun really begins......we can also see fog patches in the undulating Tundra and surrounding hills, also snow on the area we are heading or is that hill fog....? we shall see.

Descend to 12,000 turn left onto 075 degrees still 40 miles out from UHPP, descend to 11,000ft, still 40 miles out turn left onto 015 degrees stay at 11,000ft until established on the glideslope.....?????

Errrrrrrr, we have actually lost the localiser about 20 miles ago, but like dutiful pilots we obey ATC like we should, so we are going forward on the centre line heading and all of a sudden the localiser lights up, but as you can imagine at 11,000 ft the glide slope is way way below us, we throw all the planks out and drop down as fast as we can, but are obviously not going to get in so we declare a missed approach.

Climb to 12,000 (just in case we drift into one of those nice Granite clouds turn left onto 253 degrees and then again onto 163 degrees so we are down wind for a left hand circuit again, 16 miles out turn left onto 120 then left onto 090 degrees told to go to the centre line and stay at 11,000 again, not likely mate!!!

So we do our own height adjustment to try and capture the glideslope, despite getting down nice and low the glide slope indicator still shows it way below us, we are now entering the Hill fog/cloud and know that there is a great massive Granite cloud out there at 11,000ft, getting sweaty now.... still losing height to try and gain the glideslope when we see a bit of land and a faint image of the end of the runway, all of a sudden ATC pops up and tells us to go around, we obey........

Then he tells us someone on the ground had noticed we were approaching with the wheels still up, Christ knows how they saw us we couldn't see them at all, but hey Ho, better safe than.......etc.

Right, now a Russian tart comes on the blower Turn right climb to 12,000ft, bleedin right missus, so onto 010 then 070 then 180, so we are doing a right hand circuit this time.... she say's stay at 11,000 etc.............. bollocks missus!!!

We now note we only have 3 thousand pounds of fuel left, whooops!!

I know, we fly over the airfield and turn away on the runway heading, now heading away from where we want to be going, find the approach centre line and VOR lock, we wait for the glide slope indicator to move up the scale, and low and behold it does, fuel's getting lower ooops.

So just after the glideslope indicator gets to our level we do a quick 360 and get back onto the centre line, reduce speed to 190 5 degrees flap, 180 10 degrees, 170 15 degrees wheels down, three greens.. just in case?

Already intercepted the centre line and glide slope, so just wait for the buggers to tells us to go around again, don't care if they do I'm landing........

Frequency change to approach and given weather details, reduce to 150, flaps 25 then 145kts @ 40 degrees flap for landing, finally see the runway at 7.8 miles and given permission to land at 3.4 miles out still misty but got the runway clear now.

Disengage Auto pilot and auto throttle at 300ft for a manual touchdown, reverse thrust and very light brake application, with the length of this place (11,155 ft, that's as tall as the mountain along side!), we just coast to a slow turn at the end of the runway.

Turn off left and call in, given permission to go to the ramp, turn left again and now parallel with the runway, lots of Hard shelters to our right (if you don't know what they are, us and the Russians used to store fast jets or dare I say it.... Instant sunshine in boxes in them), but no sign of the terminal yet, then John spots it through the trees, it has LARGE, yes VERY LARGE red letters on its top with the name of the place, but that doesn't look anything like PETROPAVLOVSK all foreign to me?

Hey Ho, must be the right place, either that or we are just about to be arrested for trespass?

So we pull up at the terminal, the ground parking don't look anything like the map, but here we are anyway.

Switch over to APU and shut down, thanks for flying "by the seat of your pants airways"......?

Errr that's interesting we only have 1,500 lb's of fuel left, how much does the APU burn per hour....?

Can't manage a flight next week folks, will be taking a real one back to the homestead in Fuerteventura for a couple of weeks, Ah the sunshine, not sure if I can manage all that beer and sun in two week, but I will try very hard for you all. Ta Ta for now

Daveanne

LOL Dave, sounds like you had fun with this one, where is the next destination ?

UHPP has some interesting departures through the mountains / Volcanos too

Cheers John

G-holt

Thanks John, it was, my 1st officer buddy tels me that the wing tanks should never be below 750kg's of fuel, otherwise the pumps burn out (they are cooled by the fuel), now he tels me.........!!!

next one: UHPP, if I manage to circumnavigate the Granite clouds to PADK (ADAK Alaska), one of the Andraeonof islands.

Well actually my next trip is in seat 24D on a 757 out of Manchester to Feurteventura...

See you in a few weeks?

Daveanne

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast