Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

That looks beautiful How did you do the beveled edging??

75+ Posting Member

Wow, I love your FMC!

If you ever decide to sell them, count me in as a customer.
    Count me in for two!

Polmer

25+ Posting Member Lewis Simmons's Avatar

Unbelievable work! Just amazing.
    Many Thanks,
    Lewis Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    That looks beautiful How did you do the beveled edging??
    Ahh! thats easy, an old tried and tested method i call "pinning"

Basically if you have a small milling machine like an X2 or even a decent bench/pillar drill clamp a piece of MDF to it, using a 1mm drill bit drill through the MDF then hammer a small tack into the hole carefully not to bend the tack, file off the head of the tack so you have a small pin protruding out of the MDF by approx 1mm

Like this..

You can use a standard 45 degree countersink bit, i have had a set of 4 flute endmills grounded down to a 45 degree chamfer and some rounded off to produce a radii from 0.5mm to 3mm, but a standard countersink works fine but you just need to run it at a higher speed, i know, just tried it.

Allign the countersink bit top dead centre to the pin in the MDF, adjust the mechanical stop or if using a bench drill adjust the work table up or down to gauge the size of chamfer you want, obviously the lower the countersink is to the MDF the bigger the chamfer, best try with a scrap piece first until you get it right (thats what I do)

And simply switch your machine of choice on, i find higher the speed the better the cut for acrylic, different materials require different speeds, for acrylic i set mine to 2500RPM.

Simply push the piece up against the pin, its hard to explain but you need to apply 50% pressure latrually for it to cut and 50% vertically to stop the piece from bouncing then move the piece in an opposite direction to the cutting face of the bit you are using (clockwise normally) not too fast and not too slow, if you go too fast you get big chunks being removed, too slow and you run the risk of overheating the job piece.

Like this *** PLEASE ALWAYS USE GOGGLES AND GLOVES, THIS PIC IS JUST TO SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN****

It might look dodgy but it works, i have been doing this since school, you just have to practice.

Anyway, this is revision 2 once it was painted and screw holes countersunk, yet another piece that will make its first flight to the bin.

***note to self, tidy up in the morning, it looks like a 747 has actually crashed landed here, there are bits of Boeing everywhere!!***

Not bad for a days work, just noticed its just gone 3am here

25+ Posting Member Lewis Simmons's Avatar

The colour on that fmc is perfect Phil. It's almost got a golden tint to it. Very nice.
    Many Thanks,
    Lewis Simmons

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Nice to have the know how and the right tools!!!! Thanks Phil, learned something new today

Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Phil,
    Awesome,awesome,awesome!

Hi Phil, just seen your thread here, Wow you have really fine tuned your skill. If you keep going at that rate, you`ll be able to form a business out of what you are doing, because from what I can see, your work is top notch! and theres lots of room for skilled, honest people like you in the Sim market.

Well done and great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    Hi Phil, just seen your thread here, Wow you have really fine tuned your skill. If you keep going at that rate, you`ll be able to form a business out of what you are doing, because from what I can see, your work is top notch! and theres lots of room for skilled, honest people like you in the Sim market.

Well done and great work!
    Your not the first person to say that and you will not be the last, right now i dont know, but i have to admit i do enjoy doing this sort of thing, every panel has its own set of unique challenges and as you have probably gathered im doing a few bits for people right now, im just glad i can help in some way, if i was to do this full time i would rather not offer complete sets for currently supported aircraft types, but rather build special "one offs" for people and help those with unsupported sims.

Anyway, more important things.. My Sim!!

Look first panel nearlly complete, well happy with it I am.

My plan is now to complete the cad work for all the aluminium backers, and basically get them laser cut by someone in one whole lot, you have probably noticed ive used another real panels backer to build my evac panel, however i am a real fan of the "tatty, worn, and used" effect, in my opinion it adds a whole lot of depth and realism to a panel. so i have decided to do this to my sim, i want to avoid the brand new look and rather the been in service for 10 year's look. This is going to sound mad but once i have all the backers done i will paint them in the yellow/green base coat then paint them brown, then im going to take the whole lot outside into the carpark and kick them around until they all look battered chipped and scratched, then toutch up using a brush if required!!!

Ok, for the past week i have stopped building because i have had some problems with the panels, it seems that i build one, its perfect, build another and its crap, so i did a small run of around 10 various pieces, ive changed the paint yet again, machine settings and now there all perfect again, let me introduce you to the revision 3 panels, ive even made the very first two pieces for the 767 aswell.

300+ Forum Addict

Very impressive. Looking good as all your pictures do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast