Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Sol 7 test onto the cylindrical screen setup

I have a meeting with a high quality screen manufacturer scheduled within a few days. I might be able to write a mini-review for both products; Sol7 and the screen which has a very high gain value, that is 10. I am not an expert by any standard, however, since I am pretty sure that there are folks who want to see what the outcome of the combination of the two products, I will post at least a short review and throw my two cents on the issue.

Has there been any review or feedback on Sol7?, just curious.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simyoke View Post

Has there been any review or feedback on Sol7?, just curious.
    Not a lot, I think many are still waiting to not only hear from someone as yourself with it used with FS, but for the compatibility with the Matrox TH2Go possibly.

Thanks for your report, it is going to be appreciated.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

I got an email from that company in AU for the sol software, I think they out of the Alpha stage now for the TH2go DH2go. So im sure it's for sure going to be supported. A review of it would be very nice indeed. By the sounds of it, it looks like the next best thing since sliced bread!

The reason for the test.

The main reason for the test is to see how the potential focus range problem would affect the whole setup. The projector lens is designed to throw images onto a flat surface in such a way that when one tries to adjust the focus of the image (s)he doesn't have to look everywhere on the flat screen surface, rather the right focus can be achieved by referencing only one point on the surface which would certainly render the focus of the other parts of the screen right; therefore, as long as a flat screen is used one does not have to worry about the focus. However, when it comes to a cylindrical or curved screen and, to make matters more complicated, the curvature of the screen gets too big--which is tentamount to saying that the radii of a screen gets too small--a certain part of the screen can be out of focus.
    One simple calculation for my two tentative screen setups that have the radius of 1600mm and 2400mm yields 200mm and 700mm throw distance difference respectively. Oh, I forgot to note that the setup will have three projectors each of which will cover 60 degree-field of view. Have I been clear so far? I am not good at this....

If I have been understood....has anybody thought of the focus problem?
    Last edited by simyoke; 04-03-2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo

Any feedback/experience on curved screens?

If there has been anybody with curved screen projection, please, let me know.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Quote Originally Posted by simyoke View Post
    If there has been anybody with curved screen projection, please, let me know.
    Hi,

May be you can ask those guys, one of their screen solution seems to have a small radius and I am almost sure they use standards projectors and optics.

http://www.alsim.com/G-Sim-BITD-Flig...ge=G-Sim_3.jpg

Hi,

I have a front curved screen, flanked by 2 flat screens (caused by the room width), a TH2Go setup with 3 identical projectors.

The front screen is 2500mm radius and 2600mm in width but due to limitations in the projector mounts, on a frame below the ceiling, the images are of different sizes.

The result is - on the curved screen -no percievable loss off focus from edge to centre with an image width of about 1.8m, and two trapezoid images joined on the curved screen, and extending on the flat angled side screens - also interestingly, there is no real loss of focus on the side screens.

The problem is the alignment of the images - as there is a different focal length between the side and centre projectors, mounted in line on a frame above the shell. This is really only noticable on the ground, when you have reference ponts like buildings or paving slabs - in the air, your eye does not see the "joins", and the result is more than acceptable.

I am told that you really need a semicircle of at least 5m to get a realistic image - that is outside of most builders room sizes, and probably needs NicD's 5 views, or 5 projectors!

I am looking at revising the idea of back projection for the front view and 2 x 24" monitors for side views.

Good luck in finding the right solution.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

We've used and tested a fair amount of projectors and as long as the curvature of the screen is not extreme (i.e. very tight) then focus is not an issue.

Because most projectors have a good throw range, the focus also has to be able to compensate for the different locations. Therefore, focal ranges are also generally pretty good.

The only very small downside we've found is that focus is slightly more time consuming for curved screens so an even focal spread is achieved across the entire screen. But this only takes an additional 10% time wise at worst.

Thanks.

Thanks Andy, Paul and Inferno.

I am relieved to hear that focal range problem is not likely to be another hurdle that I have to get over. Just what I needed to hear.

By the way, Paul, you 've got a very impressive setup in your house.

As can be seen from the picture above I took a crack at geometric calibration of the image using Sol7 and MSFS screen shots. Please, bear with the fault line.
    It turned out to be a rather burdensome to do the calibration manually. I guess I might as well use some sort of a measuring device to make the checkerborad look normal on the screen surface.
    Contrary to my worries the potential focal problem didn't seem to be much of an issue as long as I keep a certain amount of distance between the screen and the projector.

Although it certainly looked feasible for Sol7, which is exactly why it was made in the first place, to cope with the make-shift cylindrical suface that was used you need to be really patient.
    If there is anyone who has done this--I am sure there are some--please, share the pictures.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast