Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

NorthCarolina SimRoom

The latest progress for the SimRoom: Wall panels are going up. 4X8 Sheets of 5.2mm (1/4") plywood over the insulation. Half done as seen in picture. Rcvd the 15" touchscreen monitor for the FMC today. Yoke and Rudder pedals from PFC should be here next Weds. Need to pick up some 1X2's for stringers to help support the panels and a lot of molding to cover the joints. After the walls are finished then the floor space will be cleared to start on the shell.
    Regards,
    Brian

If you look to the left of center on the above PIC you will see my MIP monitor. A 26" LCD HDTV that I bought 2 years ago for $750.00. The below PIC is what happens when said monitor falls off the table in the above PIC.
    Man am I bummed out. Knocked it off putting up a 4X4 ceiling panel. Now I needs to rethink my MIP display. Went out and bought a 22" widescreen monitor to replace it. But it's not the same, it's not got the HDTV tuner that was neat to use when not Simming.
    Regards,
    Brian (the bummed out)

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Oh man. That hurts.
    Don't toss it though....
    Those controls are useful in other places.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Here are a couple of update pics. The main walls of the building are up. Covered up all that insulation and has made it easier to keep the temp more stable in here. Still a little bit in the back to cover. Will do that after I get the table moved out of the way.
    The main frame of the shell is up and the rough MIP is up with the monitors in place. One thing about this sim, you WILL have room to get in and out of it without being a gymnest. Plenty of room, It is 87" wide. Had to go that wide to fit the monitors. The end ones are 19" widescreen and the center is 18". Begining to cannablize the GoFlight console to fit buttons into the panel and the MCP into the glareshield. Got the yoke and rudder pedals from PFC yesterday (4/2) WOW! what a difference between them and the CH stuff. I'm glad I got them instead of the FMC. Now I have to build a platform for the CH yoke that looks a little like the PFC ones. As budget allows I will get another set from PFC. As said before the FMC will be a touch screen mounted in the center console under the center monitor. I have another chair to match the one in the pic. I took them from the front of a Mercury Topaz before I sent it to the junk yard. Tomorrow I will connect the monitors to the computer and see just what they look like all lit up. Next is the center console build.
    Regards,
    Brian

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Looking good! I wish I had that much room!
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

If you have the room you will use it. The ERJ is only 5 1/2 to 6' wide so far mine comes in at 7'3" (87") . Much bigger than originally planned for however I at least fit in it.
    Update pics: 1st is one showing a test flight from KINT to KCLT. Today I'm going to add the other 2 overhead projs along with the Matrox box. Next will be the build of the center console. The center monitor is seeing way too much duty. OH,FMC,TQ,ECAS...
    Kind of bummed out, my brand new rudder pedals don't seem to work. FS9 sees them but they give no response when testing them. The same in game controllers. It sees them but gets no return from movement. Have to contact PFC on Monday and see what the fix might be.
    2nd pic is a closeup of the PFD on MY side. How nice to have something that big to look at.
    My MCPPRO can turn the course and heading and the displays shows that but it wont turn the AP on or any of the other commands. Might can map them through the yoke switches. I'll play with it some and see.
    Regards,
    Brian

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Hey Brian, looks like you're moving right along. Good for you. Keep it up Brian

Couple more pics; 1st I got all 3 OH projs up and running with the 3hdtogo. Still have to figure out where to place the screens for the side views and get everything synced up but it still was very impressive to watch the side go by on takeoff. Made for much easier taxi as well. The 2nd is just a shot of the PFD and others all on one monitor. (copilots side no yoke in front). Today I picked up more angle iron for the support system for the projs and also ran more outlets to the front of the sim (12 outlets 3 boxes) I also picked up 4, 6 outlet power strips so that adds an additional 24 outlets. so I now have 32 available. I'm glad most of this stuff is low amp. Tommorow, (Monday) I will work on getting a floor in the sim and raise it off the current floor by a few inches. This way I can set the Yoke into the main floor and have it be a little shorter. This also gives me something to mount the main seats to. Can't keep using my office chair. I'll also (hopefully) get the PFC rudder pedals working with some help from PFC. I hope it is just a loose wire inside. Game controller sees the rudder pedals but I don't get any movement with them.
    Have to take off for a couple of days on Tuesday hope to be back late Thursday night.
    Regards,
    Brian

Super Moderator

Hey Brian, your an inspiration my friend!

Problem with the rudder pedals resolved thanks to the great support at PFC. Sent me the wiring diagram with a talk through on the phone to correct a set of wires that had come loose from the circuit board during shipping. Man are those Jet Bucket pedals cool! Now if I could just budget another set (yoke and rudder) for the copilot he wouldn't have to suffer with my old CH yoke and rudder pedals. First I need to find a copilot though. All youse guys seem to be across the pond or world from me.
    Regards,
    Brian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast