Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Regional & Corporate Jet Alternatives

Hi all,

I was just replying to a thread from Eric Tomlin on the new Lear shell, and almost hijacked his thread into a discussion about RJs

So I thought I would start a new one - I started by saying "Best of luck to all RJ builders - I see lots of comments that echo my feelings from a couple of years ago."

I have been an RJ fan for over 4 years - after seeing an EMB 120 cockpit on the FDS website, I decided I had to have one!

At the time, I was living in Lisbon, Portugal, and flying 3-4 times a week as a passenger in the ERJ 145 operated by Portugalia. I bought the Feelthere 145, and was hooked!

Now, 4 years later, I am committed to the RJ - I have a 5 meter long, full scale ERJ 145 front end in my garage, with more money spent than I care to add up. (and many happy hours spent building, and lately flying it!)

The key to a successful home cockpit build is the software that links it to MSFS, and then, via a variety of possible interface methods, makes it work when you press the switch instead of clicking the mouse.

There are not many alternatives - Project Magenta, some great ideas from Stoney3K, and little else for a full cockpit setup.

There are a lot more Lear projects out there than there used to be - still only a couple of ERJ ones I know of, and some, also increasing (Thanks to Joe!) CRJ projects.

What do we lack? Honeywell clone software!

Why not start to make a user group to show PM and other possible developers how big the market is - it may help the guys at PM to look at their planning for software upgrades, or encourage others to look at the market.

I know Enrico has this on his long list, but the Boeing users, professional and hobbyist, are, rightly, as the biggest (and first) user group being addressed currently, and we can see some good improvements in the latest releases.

However, if we RJ users had a bigger voice?

Please post your comments or views on the Heavy/RJ debate - Remember, we haven't yet got to the VLJ/Corporate debate - A full size cockpit that fits into your spare bedroom - medium range, and full glass cockpit displays - and you can land where you want to - anywhere! Why build a 747?

Don't forget - the software drives the hardware! - If there was a viable RJ software available, hardware suppliers would add the available panels to their range.

Lets debate, not complain about what isn't there to suit our needs!
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

2. Thanks Kennair thanked for this post
    Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Paul,

I timely thread as I have recently been debating my cockpit rebuild. I was very close to building a CRJ pit, partly due to the availability of hardware from Joe but when I looked into the software side there seemed only to be PM available and unfortunately not without its problems. It doesn't seem to be as well supported as the Boeing/Airbus stock. I too am not knocking PM here and understand that they have to prioritise their time and effort to where it's most needed and do a fine job in the process.

In the end I decided to retain and update my PC12 instead (and very happy with the decision to remain with GA at this stage), however if there were an RJ glass along with a similar PM Systems solution I would be very interested for the future when I decide to move into the "semi-heavies". Even so the Next Gen PC12 utilizes a Honeywell Primus glass cockpit, so if there were a sim emulation I would be interested even now.

There are many clever software designers such as FSXpand that hold great promise, but even so it's still the Boeing fleet that is mainly accommodated (again, due to demand). Once again both Joe and Hispapanels realise the need by making RJ panels available and I guess if there is more of a voice, the software might come too. I'd love to hear what others may have done to accomodate their RJ/Glass pit.

Just my 2c worth,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

I echo the most part of both these posts here in this thread. How nice it would be to have a really feature laden Honeywell Primus package. Yes, the PMRJ leaves a bit to be desired, BUT I have been very happy with using it so far. I really hope that they push forward through whatever is going on the past while and continue support for this software since there is a growing base of Learjet, CRJ, and other 'RJ' sims.

If I had the money to invest...boy o' boy...
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

25+ Posting Member

Apparently PM is making a CRJ suite, which uses the Honeywell suite. Don't know when it will be done though.
    I did mention to Enrico that there are quite a few lear builders out there, and that the lear avionics suite is not to far off the CRJ one, and that maybe he could make a few mods to the CRJ one to suit the lear.

Time will tell though.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alaxus View Post
    Apparently PM is making a CRJ suite, which uses the Honeywell suite. Don't know when it will be done though.
    I did mention to Enrico that there are quite a few lear builders out there, and that the lear avionics suite is not to far off the CRJ one, and that maybe he could make a few mods to the CRJ one to suit the lear.

Time will tell though.
    The CRJ suite is Rockwell Collins...ERJ is Honeywell. In my opinion the PMRJ software is very close to the Honeywell Primus 1000 software suite, with just a hand full of lacking things like CAS messages and some ND options. However, it's not complete yet till some of those issues are worked out and hopefully they will one day get a version of the UNS FMS and autopilot created for it. Then it will be really nice. Here's to hoping as Paul stated, there's tons of new LJ builders, plus a growing roster of CRJ builders too and we all need some accurate software. If the RJ software was worked on, maybe it could be like the Boeing suite, where it covers a few different types in one package, I.E., the RJ package would represent the CRJ/ERJ/LJ software.

BTW, although far from perfect, I really am glad I got the PMRJ software as it looks great for what it is at this point.
    Last edited by Tomlin; 05-05-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: clarify
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I know the feeling well Paul.

When the retro- movement strikes a little farther down the road in the sim software industry as it has with American auto manufacturers in the last few years, maybe the first generation Boeing drivers will have something to look forward to as well. But, that's probably wishful thinking.

Most of us are making out OK though, but not fully 100% functional yet.

Not a lot of sophisticated logic involved there. You'd think it would be more popular. Too many kids developing software having never flown on a 707, 720, 727, or DC-8 I suppose.

More's the pity.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!