Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Tony,

This is a subject that you will find a thousand different opinions on, so this is just mine, which is gathered from others who I believe to have experience in the field far greater than me. Basically you get what you pay for. If the deal seems too good to be true it probably is, however it isn't so much the case for PC hardware. If you are willing to do some investigating (and if you're into simming then you are use to this!) you can get yourself a system that will satisfy for the next 5 years or so. A very good piece of advice I read from an experienced hardware simmer on Avsim stated "if you can't get a 10 fold increase in performance from an upgrade it's not worth the extra expense". Many enthusiasts talk about a CPU upgrade that will cost them an extra $500 but give an extra 5 FPS increase. Up to the individual whether that's worth the cost (I'd say not).

Now, with the cost of hardware today being so competitive and sometimes reasonably priced, upgraders are in an ideal position. BUT, you have to know what you're looking for! For example, the system I spec'd, was built for $1600 AUD. Not a bank-breaking amount by anyones language, and it has the capacity to upgrade in the next 12 months to the newest processors (at a more reasonable cost).

To get to your Bare-bones system specs, definitely go for the second deal utilizing the Intel Q6600 and the 800Mhz RAM. I use to be an AMD fan but these days Intel has it over AMD when it comes to processors (that of course may change in future and ultimately is only my, and the general, opinion). Go for the motherboard that will accommodate the fastest processor, plus the ability to have extra PCIE cards. You need to map out exactly what your sim will require such as the number of monitors which will determine the number of video outlet etc.

So in a nutshell: Get a good quality motherboard such as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI etc. preferably of the P35 variety (best value currently), with 2 x PCIe slots (doesn't matter whether both slots run at 16x as the second video simply hangs off the first and SLI doesn't offer a lot with FS. The faster RAM the better, so get the 800Mhz. 2Gb RAM should be a minimum for simming and will assist FS greatly. Get an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan if you intend to overclock, which is a cinch today. Here's a LINK to overclocking the Q6600 which I used successfully. Get a name brand power supply of at least 600W to accommodate the components and overclocking.

The second deal you mentioned fits into my recommended category so you won't be dissapointed. As for the graphics card, FS is more dependent on CPU than GPU so video memory isn't as important an issue, however if you intend running multiple monitors, memory is an issue, so again it depends on your setup. However, the 8800GT is far and above the better deal these days both price-wise and power-wise, so don't go for the 8500 as your main video card, instead use it as your secondary card. As for hard-drives, many advocate RAID but I have opted for a single fast drive as my system is dedicated to simming and will do no other task. Again it's up to your requirements as to what you decide on.

As for operating system, if I wasn't looking to use 4Gb of RAM I would have stayed with WinXP as it is rock solid and there's no issue with driver/software incompatablites, so for you looking at 2Gb of RAM get WinXP Home or Pro (doesn't really matter sim-wise). Vista offers support for DirectX-10 but you can probably do without that for the moment. Having said that I have had no issue with Vista64 (SP1) and all its upgrades so far, and it runs FSX beautifully.

The computer store I deal with will build my personal system for $100AUD if I wanted (which I didn't cause it's fun!!) so getting the pro's to build it for you isn't a huge expense. I would get the second system pre-built and configured ready to load all your favourite FS system and addons and watch it fly when you load it up!!! You won't be dissapointed.

Regards,

Ken.
    Hi Ken.

Thanks very much for the extensive reply. Your time is really appreciated by me, and no doubt others wishing to run from one PC. I will be getting the 2nd deal pre-built, and feeding view monitors from the PCIe cards, and instruments from a PCI slot.

Thanks again.

TONY.

Boeing 777 Builder

Tony, just a word of caution. I tried to run my system initially with the 8800GT plus a 6200 PCI card that I had in my old system however FSX refused to run with this card installed. It said that it didn't support "Shader" technology and then closed. I went out and bought the cheaper 8500GT card which does have shader support and it worked fine. I don't know why this error came up as it didn't on my old system running an AGP card along with the PCI card but it might be worth keeping in mind.

I now have my TH2GO running off one port of the 8800GT and my main instrument panel off the other. The centre avionics display runs off one port of the 8500. The co-pilots panel is simply a VGA split of the pilots screen so no need to tie up a video outlet for that.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Tony, just a word of caution. I tried to run my system initially with the 8800GT plus a 6200 PCI card that I had in my old system however FSX refused to run with this card installed. It said that it didn't support "Shader" technology and then closed. I went out and bought the cheaper 8500GT card which does have shader support and it worked fine. I don't know why this error came up as it didn't on my old system running an AGP card along with the PCI card but it might be worth keeping in mind.

I now have my TH2GO running off one port of the 8800GT and my main instrument panel off the other. The centre avionics display runs off one port of the 8500. The co-pilots panel is simply a VGA split of the pilots screen so no need to tie up a video outlet for that.

Ken.
    Ken
    I'm still on 2004 - hope this doesn't spoil my plans! As a matter of interest, I have a Matrox G450 4 head PCI card that I am hoping to use on one of the PCI slots for instruments - but I will have a few PCIe slots to use another card in if it doesn't work. Here's hoping though I need to watch the cash, or have divorce papers served on me!

TONY

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

When I bought my system in November, I had FS9 in mind.

What would be considered a mediocre system at best by todays FSX standards, it's a smoking system for FS9, and would have been considered a top of the line system back when FS9 was released.

It's still a dual core processor that has no use for FS9, but it's getting harder to find pre-builds that don't include a dual-core but still have enough ram and HD space.

I have no idea which of my programs are taking advantage of the dual-core processors, but it really doesn't interest me in the least.

All I wanted was a fantastic system that would run FS9 at near max settings and all of the add-ons without an 8fps rate, and now I have that.

I've never seen any FS program run before buying this computer that didn't stutter and stammer on an approach to a major metro area, or else flying with virtually no scenery at all.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!