Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

portable cockpit updates

Hi all, thought id break out of the welcome forum and start a thread in here. Just too recap what im doing.

Im Building 2 matching boxes that are aprox 110mmX300mmX400mm each and will form the primary flight controls for a general aviation aircraft (mainly based on the cessna 152) The 1st box houses the yoke; light switches, master switch, ignition key and also a push too talk button (to use with VoxATC) and 2 knobs too adjust the altimeter and heading bug. The second box houses the throttle, mixture, carb heat, elevator trim, flaps switch, and radio controls. I've practically finished the yoke box, just needs a few finishing touches such as steel corners, and the graphics needs redoing. The throttle box ive only just started. Both boxes are interfaced too USB using Leo Bodners most excellent interface board.

heres some pics of the yoke box...

X axis pot

Y axis Pot

And heres sum pics of my progress so far with the throttle box. Ive turned the knobs and trim wheel on a lathe and undercoated them, theyre drying at the mo so no pics of those.

The shafts are precision round chrome plated stainless and are Uber hard lol! They slide in linear bearings, that are commonally used in CNC machines so very smooth and very tough. At the moment ive simply taped the shafts too the slide pots, coz like i said theyre so hard i couldnt even drill em, so untill i think of another way too fix em, the tape will have too do for now lol. The trim wheel fits onto that blue pot, which is a 10 turn pot so shuld be able too make very fine adjustments. Next stage is too fit the knobs, solder up all the connections and give it a try.

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up excellent

Really nice work indeed, very impressive, i wish i had your metalworking skills!
    I can also agree that Leo Bodnars joystick cards are the business! - was just wondering what the extra circuit with the capacitors on was for?
    steve
    another bedroom boeing.....

10+ Posting Member

Thanks The extra circuit with the caps on is a toggle too momentary circuit that uses opto couplers. Basically it turns the on/off movment of the toggle switches into a single blip. Here's a diagram...

LOL at metalworking skills. I dont really have the proper tools or skills too work with metal. All the metal is 2mm sheet aluminum which is really nice too work with as its soft. When it comes too harder metals like steel, i really struggle as i have too cut em with a hacksaw and it takes ages. I shuld invest in some more tools really lol.

Very nice, have you wired all the points on the mag switch out of interest?

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

10+ Posting Member

yep each position of the key is wired and assigned too FSX (off, left, right, both, start) After hours of searching the net i couldnt find a key switch with 5 positions, so i 'made' one by stripping down a 2 pos key switch and fitting the output shaft too a rotary switch, each click of the rotary switch makes up the 5 positions.

Nice solution, I had the same issue until I got a Desktop Aviator panel which has a 5 position switch. However in their default panel only Off, Both, and Start is wired. I am planning to redo it myself at some point with all 5.

I bought it just before they launched the new one which has all 5 as wired as standard, always the way

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

Realy nice job in the stuff you have build. Great to see the pics in how you have done it. This will help a lot of people in building there own sim.

Great Job and great Pictures

Cheers
    Norbert

10+ Posting Member

Hello all, time for the latest update.

I've fitted the roatary encoders too the yoke box and wired them all in. Theyre working fine but the trouble is it takes forever and a whole lotta turns too adjust the heading bug. Trouble is as you turn the encoder faster the pulses get narrower and narrower and FSX cant keep up with them and the heading bug actually starts moving slower. Has anyone got any solutions too fix this? prehaps sumone knows a way too program FSUIPC so that when u turn the encoder fast it sends the "increase heading bug quickly" command and when u turn it slow it sends the normal "increase heading bug" command.

As for the throttle box I've come on great guns with that and got all the controls working. Here's sum pics....

All i got left too do now is skin the box, add the corners and finish off painting the knobs and trim wheel and fitting them.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Coming along real nice... thanks for the update. Love all that wiring

Thank you

Matt O.

Quote Originally Posted by uzi_1984 View Post
    prehaps sumone knows a way too program FSUIPC so that when u turn the encoder fast it sends the "increase heading bug quickly" command and when u turn it slow it sends the normal "increase heading bug" command.
    This task can be solved using IOCards and SIOC from opencockpits.com
    Yakov.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast