Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello everybody

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

hello everybody

hello everyone. I've been building a "portable" cockpit for the last few months and the 1st part of it is near completion so i thought the time has come too share my creation with the world lol.
    Originally what i set out too build was a high quality flight yoke, made of steel rather than plastic with proper bearings and such too give it a nice solid smooth feel. After building a working prototype i rehoused it and started adding all sorts of switches too the panel, heres how it looks at the mo...

As you can see I've gotton on quite far with it Theres only a few things left too do, i need too find some corners too finish off the "buffalo skin" I'm awaiting rotary encoders which will fit in the blank spaces next too the push too talk button and control the altimeter and heading bug; need too suss out a clamping system as at the moment im just using wood clamps; and last off all the decals need replacing as they got a little dammaged during drilling, once ive replaced em and polished up the front panel ill laquer the whole panel too protect it.

So what do you guys think of my project? Would love too hear your comments/ suggestions.

Heres a few pics of the iternals....

X axis pot

Y axis Pot

Super Moderator

Wow, this is very nice.

Welcome!

I like how you worked out the push pull, with the pots! Thats really creative, using a cable system like that

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Nice work!

Is that an amplifier head box that it's mounted in?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

10+ Posting Member

thanks. It seemed the easyiest way too do it. I know a lot of people use the old con rod method; but i figured that could have a bit of play in it. This way even slight pressure on the yoke is picked up by the pot and there is no slop in it at all.

10+ Posting Member

basically yes lol! Or at least the design is the same. I built the box out of 12mm ply and covered it with "buffalo skin" which you can buy from music suppliers; just a case of cutting the cloth too size and glueing it on with PVA; takes sum time and is a bit fiddly but Gives it a really nice finish and makes for a rock steady; water proof indestructable box.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Nice engineering Uzi,

Gwyn
    (Mechanical Engineer!)

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

10+ Posting Member

Thankyou all for your kind words Im rather chuffed with it so far, although not completly satasfied. The biggest issue at the mo is the in out movement on the yoke isnt as smooth as i had of hoped. The rails and linear bearings are beutifully smooth but the whole thing is let down by that forward grommet. It supports the yoke shaft OK and turning is luvly and smooth, but in out is a little bit draggy. I think the main reason for this is that grommet flexes too much, u can't actually see it but i suspect as u push on the stick it flexes inward slightly and tightns on the shaft causing drag. The other factor is the shaft is aluminum which is soft as **** and i dont think its perfectly round. Was gonna try replacing it with stainless steel or even chrome plated and try that.
    Can any of you real pilots try and explain too me how a cessna's stick feels? Is it smooth or can u feel play, drag, mechanical "noise" etc in it? Ive never flown a cessna, would love too; but untill i do im just gonna have too guess how it feels lol.
    The other thing thats not perfect is the springs, they are very tight and center the turning spot on everytime, too find center position again all i have too do is let go and it springs back spot on everytime. In out center on the other hand is any where between an inch lol. tighter springs wouldnt fix this really coz then it would be hard too even move, im thinking of prehaps using springs longitudinaly prehaps connected too the main "carrage" and spanning out too the front and too the back; not sure if this would help or not tho. Any advice anyone?

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Nice engineering job... Impressive!!!! Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing

Matt O.

PS would love to see these pics in our Gallery Hint

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Uzi,

The Cessna's controls are quite free and easy when it is parked but you can feel the weight of the elevator when you pull. Roll resistance is negligable, hardly any weight as the ailerons balance each other. In flight the yoke wants to fix in a single pitch position wherever it is trimmed to and pitch movements become heavier. The yoke tightens up if you like when the control surfaces are exposed to flying speeds. Adjustments in flight are done with very light fingertip movements, I only hang on properly during take-offs, landings and bad weather, (when you need to).

You really must go and have a fly, if you can fly a sim well you will find the real thing a lot easier because of the increased situational awareness, great view and real force feedback. I solo'd at 7.2 hours after 5 years of FS then did about 3 years of real flying. I never stopped FS, it didn't wear off like the price of hiring aircraft! I still like to go for the odd blast now and again but I'm in my 737 sim 2 or 3 times a week. I built it to replace "as costly as it gets"!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast