Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

When frustrated, hang in there guys

I have been having nothing but problems with the controls (read electronics) of my T-38 pit. Nothing wants to work correctly.

I had a wire come loose on one of the control stick pots, during the reassembly. Then I managed to blow the micro chip on the axes card. Ever try and communicate with the folks at Opencockpits? It is like trying to get the girl at the McDonalds' drive up window understand what you want to order.

Anyway, that and problems getting three computers to talk to each other for the FSGuage program had gotten me down.

Well, this weekend, I pulled an old Logitech Wingman apart and use the card for my control stick. Took me most of the day to get everything ironed out right but tonight I flew the way I remember flying in the Air Force. With fingertips on the stick and just flying intuitively.

Guys, being in that cockpit and flying that way made me almost feel like it was real. It was wonderful. All the frustrations are gone.

So, if and when the pit is biting back and sweat is falling from your brow as fast as the bad words are pouring from your mouth. Keep the faith. It will eventually work.

Besides, I had to tell someone who would understand. I knew you guys would.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

I hear you. I'm suprised I'm not bald from pulling my hair out in frustration over some of the things that I've come against.
    My worst one is when I've made mods to a peice of equipment only to find out it wont fit, or its the wrong voltage, or something... and then suddenly a flash comes and bingo! it works!
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

300+ Forum Addict

You are not alone let me tell you. That is what sim building is all about I am afraid.
    I just spent 2 days trying to get a new digital Triplehead2go to work on my 3 projectors. What a nightmare. It turned out that all the trouble was caused very simply by having a 30 foot DVI cable from the computer running to the Triplehead2go. Finally put the computer on top of the cockpit and used the short cable supplied and it worked perfectly.
    Keep at it !!..............Brian W.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

You'd think I'd been in the Navy instead of the Air Force by the language coming out of my mouth on occasion when something just will not work as it's supposed to.

I've taken a well deserved break from building since just after Christmas after getting my radar and a few other components installed. Now I'm doing a lot of flying instead.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and rest a bit and let the wheels turn until another solution presents itself or you figured out what you were doing wrong. The light will eventually come on, and if it doesn't, that's what this place is for.

In the mean time, just FLY IT!
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

LOL

I had the same sort of experience on the day after Christmas. I received 2 new Phidgets LED64 cards.

I had the power transformer blow up and supply 24V to both boards to the point I could smell smoke. Sure enough after much to my dismay, The issue ended up being that my USB extension cords just were too long to allow the LED64 cards to work.

As soon as I got rid of the USB extension cords, Bingo away it worked.

Our hobby does become frustrating, but the main part is to just get back into it as fast as you can. Don't be afraid, things will in fact go your way again.

Brian is right.. sometime the sim likes to bite back, just has to make you want to bite it even harder.

Trev

I think BSW gives good advice. Just fly! I have always tried to fly as much as build...well, almost! Sometimes you get into building and forget the goal at the end of the tunnel. We build these expensive contraptions for a reason. To fly flight simulators.

If I could not have gotten my control stick to work yesterday, I had already planned on yanking it out for the third time. I was going to build a short vertical stand and mount my CH Products Fighter stick on top of it so I could fly.

I would worry about the control stick later.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up frustrations...

Know how you feel!- was having problems on saturday with dodgy saitek yokes and a wire came off in the newly built FMC requiring a complete take apart....so, went and flew my friend Johns 747 sim yesterday (almost complete) and found that even the old hands at this game have the same kind of problems..so felt much better... goes with the territory of sim building i guess- but when it does all work how it should, we all get a great feeling of satisaction from having solved all the problems on the way!

-also great having the fantastic support from fellow builders on mycockpit however much of a novice or an old pro you are!
    Steve
    another bedroom boeing.....

150+ Forum Groupie

My therapy : if I come to a point of frustration, let things go, sit behind your desktop computer and fly ...
    A friend of mine told me that when building a cockpit, don't forget to fly even if it is on a desktop computer, after all, that's wat it's all about !

But the day you are actually flying the thing, you will know it was worth it, working on cockpit number 3 now and just about of flying .. on the desktop !!

Michel if you read this, those words were yours
    [