Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Adding side views

Hi all,

The time is getting nearer to my sim needing an additional two projectors for side views. I need some advice on the easiest way to do it so I will start by describing my current set up.

PC = 2.4Ghz Quad core, 2 gig of ram with a GTS 8800 video card. I use PMDG 737-800NG as my platform. The main feed from the video card goes to a Digital TH2Go. In expanded desktop mode, 3840 x 768, Monitor 1 is my FWD view projector, Monitor 2 is my ATT/NAV display, (same feed sent via a splitter to F.O.s position). Monitor 3 is my EICAS display. This works very well and I'm very happy with it. With all FS9 sliders maxed it easily achieves 35FPS. There is a spare output on the video card.

In the cupboard I have my old sim PC which is a P4 2.8Ghz which still has a 128Mg Matrox Parhelia triplehead video card fitted. I have no knowledge of networking and no idea how to add two more projectors to display the side views. I realize there are probably a few ways to do it but I would like to hear them all!

Thanks in advance,

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Gwyn,

Although I have not yet added back the side views after the rebuild, I was achieving good results by using the left view from the MSFS pc spare video output - adding a new view, and saving the flight.

For the right side I used a spare pc with a copy of FSX and WideView and Wide Traffic.
    I already have a network, so it was simple to add another pc, but if you are only going to use one, you could get a crossover network cable, and just link the 2 together in a simple network.

My next plan is to add 2 more projectors, but I am waiting until I complete a house move.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

3. Thanks Westozy thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

You will need Wideview, your spare PC will do fine but in fact a simple dual videocard would do, the TH2GO is not ideal for this.
    [

5. Thanks Westozy thanked for this post

Does anyone know if WideView will support seperate view angle set-ups from one PC with multiple display outputs??

I'm specifically thinking of setting up a front/left/right display from one PC, 2 graphics cards, using 3 outputs. I've had a number of people say that there can be issues with weather synchronization across networked PCs - but I've not seen this first hand. So with the extra grunt in current graphics cards, it'd be interesting to see if this could be overcome by using just one PC.

WideView recommends one view per pc - I haven't tried more than one, but all the featured builders do that.

I did have issues with traffic and weather, but I understand the latest builds have resolved those issues.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

Yes, with widevieW you can set up more views .

Eg : with a normal graphics card you can expand your desktop over 2 monitors.
    Than in Fs you start with one view on monitor 1 and then create a new view and drag it over to monitor 2.

Weather and Traffic synch across networked computers

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    I've had a number of people say that there can be issues with weather synchronization across networked PCs - but I've not seen this first hand. So with the extra grunt in current graphics cards, it'd be interesting to see if this could be overcome by using just one PC.
    WideView has a weather synch feature built into it and AI traffic synch across the networked computers can be done using a separate software called WideTraffic written by the same gentleman, Luciano Napolitano.

A bit unstable from time to time in terms of Traffic synch but works very fine.
    Certainly the best and cheapest possible solution for FSX and FS9.

Boeing 777 Builder

Gwyn, NicD is the current expert on multiple views and projectors as far as I've seen. However your PC setup is now similar to mine, so I would try the following.

Run the Main and Engine screens off the second video card, use the TH2GO off the main card with 3 projectors attached. That's how I've currently got mine running (albeit using CRT's instead of projectors at the moment) and get good frame rates.

Otherwise network the second PC and run something like FSXpand which has a pretty good Engine display panel leaving the main PC to run the outside view and PFD. You can then run other stuff like ASV6, FSBuild, Radar Contact etc. from the networked PC via FSUIPC. I've networked PC's in this configuration so can give you a hand if you like. This is how Ian Sisson has done it.

EDIT: Ah I now see you only have one video card so can't do what I've suggested, so get a cheapo 8500 or 8600 and double your outputs.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

11. Thanks Westozy thanked for this post
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Gwyn, NicD is the current expert on multiple views and projectors as far as I've seen. However your PC setup is now similar to mine, so I would try the following.

Run the Main and Engine screens off the second video card, use the TH2GO off the main card with 3 projectors attached. That's how I've currently got mine running (albeit using CRT's instead of projectors at the moment) and get good frame rates.

Otherwise network the second PC and run something like FSXpand which has a pretty good Engine display panel leaving the main PC to run the outside view and PFD. You can then run other stuff like ASV6, FSBuild, Radar Contact etc. from the networked PC via FSUIPC. I've networked PC's in this configuration so can give you a hand if you like. This is how Ian Sisson has done it.

EDIT: Ah I now see you only have one video card so can't do what I've suggested, so get a cheapo 8500 or 8600 and double your outputs.

Ken.
    Hi Ken,

I would like to discuss all of these mysteries in detail on your next visit to the growing Boeing! Please drop in sometime and see the new upgrades...

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Boeing 777 Builder

No worries Gwyn,

I sent you an email to your home address, did you get it or have you changed your email?

Anyway how about next Monday or Tuesday round 8pm.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast