Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push to Talk

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Push to Talk

I have searched the forum and can't seem to come up with an answer to what has to have been asked and solved long ago. My apologies if I have missed it.

I have a pair of real 737 yolks in my sim and don't want to modify them. For reasons I won't get into I would like to use the AP disconnect button as the PTT button.

I have Squawkbox installed on the main FS computer to which I have the phidget card plugged in. I have the second part of SB installed on a second computer which is where the mic and sound card are.

I have set the offset (can't remember what it is) in the custom phidget screen (as I couldn't find a PTT button in any of the normal releases eg) 429 etc). When I push the button on the yolk and I look at the small dialogue box that SB invokes on the FS machine I see the Tx light up as it should. The problem is that the mic doesn't get turned on even though the Tx light comes on.

My guess is the command from the phidget card is being sent to the FS machine as that is where it is attached and the little SB dialogue box is, however, that is not where the mic is located which is on the other machine. My guess is the command stops at the FS machine and never makes it across the network to the other machine - and why would it. I haven't told it to push the button on the second machine for the mic.

Does this make sense? Is this correct or is there another reason? If so what do I do to transmit this phidget button to the second machine? If not how do you make the mic come on if you have SB installed on two machines with the Phidget card plugged into Computer A and the Mic on Computer B. If Phidgets only talked to FSUIPC this would be a piece of cake.

Please help..........

Bruce Day
    Toronto

Hi Bruce. I'm not using Phidgets so cant comment on that... but are you using a joystick type card for your yoke? If so, I suggest you connect your button using the FSUIPC interface in FS, rather than externally. You go to the assign buttons page in FSUIPC, press the button you want to use on your yoke (has to be recognisable as a joystick button), and then choose the SB actions for it on the right-side of the window. You'll see options for SB transmit and release (i.e. button down and up)
    Nic D'Alessandro
    737NG builder (Hobart, Australia)
    http://simsation.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by dbday View Post

I have set the offset (can't remember what it is) in the custom phidget screen (as I couldn't find a PTT button in any of the normal releases eg) 429 etc). When I push the button on the yolk and I look at the small dialogue box that SB invokes on the FS machine I see the Tx light up as it should. The problem is that the mic doesn't get turned on even though the Tx light comes on.

My guess is the command from the phidget card is being sent to the FS machine as that is where it is attached and the little SB dialogue box is, however, that is not where the mic is located which is on the other machine. My guess is the command stops at the FS machine and never makes it across the network to the other machine - and why would it. I haven't told it to push the button on the second machine for the mic.
    If the SB3 box tx indicates activity and widefs is properly installed then the signal reaches it's destination. Check if the right sound card is activated as recording device and that the mic volume is set properly.
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Make sure the mic is not muted. If all this still does not work, move the mic to the other machine.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nic I do not have a joystick card. I wish I was using one then I wouldn't be posting this I would have been using FSUIPC as you suggest. Unfortuneately Phidgets don't talk to FSUIPC and vice versa.

Andy, the mic works perfectly. If I push the PTT button I assigned in SB (on my second computer) which in my case I used F11 there is no problem the mic comes on and the ATC etc can hear me fine. Problem is when I use the button (on the real 737 yolks that I have set up the AP disconnect button] in the phidget software) even though the Tx light comes on in the SB dialogue box it doesn't turn on the mic. So it is not the mic, it is that that the mic is not being turned on.

Anders, I think you have the understanding and I would have agreed with you but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can guarantee you that the Tx light comes on when the button on the yolk is pushed. I can also assure you that Wideclient is set up properly because it works for everything else. However, just because the light comes on does not mean that the mic has been turned on as you can see from my note to Andy above. It seems that the command ends at the FS computer. I need to transfer that command across the network to the second computer.

Anders do you have this working on your machine in the same configuration eg) SB installed on two computers, using phidget NOT FSUIPC, to turn on the mic?

I need to find someone who is actually in my situation and has it working.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Every comment counts. Someone might say something that will twig me to the problem/solution.

Bruce

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Were you aware that the AP disconnect switch on a Boeing yoke is a normally-closed type switch?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!