Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Reviews... some comments from the other side...

Hi,

congrats to this new site and the trimmed down forum. Wish everyone involved all the best. I think it is great to have a community beyond the forums of the various "vendors" where information can be exchanged.

This is just a quick post about the reviews... first of all, there should be more of them, for as many vendors as possible, I know it is a lot of work, but it should give a good overview of what's going on. It would also be great if the various vendor entries had some kind of introduction (apart from the link to the website), especially as not everyone knows who is who. You know, like "switches", "panels", "controls", "software". I mean, I do simply never heard of some of those entries.

Now my real motive/agenda is the new review today, as a vendor we receive the new entries via e-mail. We have been blessed with undeservedly positive comments in the past, so it was a bit of a shock. Not because of the entry itself though. While it is perfectly justifiable for reviews to be anonymous, in thise case, there is no dialogue as such, it is a bit like reading about yourself in the newspaper, you can just sit there.

Had I received this survey answer as an e-mail, here would be my comments:

"How satisfied are you with your service from Project Magenta?"
    "Extremely dissatisfied."

What happened and when? Was an e-mail not answered? Was something said that was wrong? Did you try our forum?

"How would you rate Project Magenta's Return/Replacement policy?"
    "Terrible."

Yes, it certainly is terrible, given the cost, but there is no real alternative. We have had a number of tricks pulled on us in the past and this is our only countermeasure. I know the demo method is not ideal, but if in doubt, do not buy. Judge comments by others and check our track record if unsure. Never buy anything in a hurry. I also have to purchase rather expensive software occasionally and I make pretty damn sure it is what I need.

Another comment:

"For such outstanding software, the web site is very poor. "

If I knew what is being referred to, I would do something about it. The website is certainly not incredibly beautiful, but I would like to change it from "very poor" to "marginally disgusting" - and I need to know what can be done to improve it.

"I would like online pricelists. Proper resonse time to e-mails on questions. Proper time limited demo (e.g. 30 days) to evaluate the product properly."

We switched to e-mailed pricelists for a variety of reasons, normally we send them out rather quickly. The demo has to be handled this way, day limitations without being invasive to your computer with registry entries and such is not an option. And the response time... I simply need to know what is meant here, normally we are quite fast with e-mail (it doesn;t leave much room to understand whether technical reasons are to blame for this).

To everyone, enjoy your holidays if you have them and all the best for 2006!

Ciao

Enrico

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi Enrico. You do bring up some good points. I will discuss these with the team and see what we can do. More input would be good..

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Yes maybe some of these comments/concerns could be more specific or give the user more space to comment on or maybe throw them into a Forum where these thing can be handled...
    Sometimes people confuse the fact that the Project Magenta team won´t get back to them with some sort of nasty comment or aggression just because they didn´t like a certain thing or issue about the product or service and maybe they where shy or scared to talk to you about this matter... These are just opinions not to attack a company or individuals but to help you guys develop a better product!
    We all now that Enricco is a very professional person and that he works with a team of professionals that ensure that the product performs as it should... And I´m more than sure that these things could be talked with the costumer maybe he´ll approach you I just hope this doesn´t become a place where companies will think someone is trying to attack them.
    It is not the Idea from Matt and the guys we are trying to help here!

Regards,

Roberto Soriano

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I think everyone makes valid points. My professional opinion is; customer feedback is essential to any business. We all like to hear about happy customers and the good job we are doing. Unfortunately, even though we try are best, we seem to miss a few items, then we have unhappy customers. It's more important to find out about our unhappy customers then it is about our happy customers, because we need to find out, within reason what we can do to improve. We need to find out our customer needs, as a professional that's our business. Here is the UNFORTUNATE part again; unfortunately, some customers are afraid they may be reprimanded by their constructive criticism, which again, is unfortunate. It's unfortunate for the customer and the vendor as well. Because of this our Surveys are done anonymously.

I've talked to many people who have filled out surveys, most say: "I don't mind if anyone knows that I filled out a survey." It's the ones that say: "I don't want anyone to know" and we should honor their anonymity.

It almost sounds like I'm defending IFSBI's survey process, please don't misconstrue. I agree wholeheartedly with Enrico, I would want the opportunity to chat with the customer that is not satisfied and try to make things better and ask more details.

The Survey program is designed to do that. It's designed for a retailer or manufacturer to get responses back from the customer. We modified the program.

Regarding the Surveys, we have two purposes; provide fellow builders and vendors a satisfaction reports from customers. This works for the builders, but, becomes a limited process for the vendor. Of all the vendors we survey, one does not agree with the above philosophy, all others welcome feedback. I've considered pulling their survey, but other vendors expressed their disapproval.

Perhaps there is an other method, perhaps the whole survey program should be pulled. I would like to see IFSBI provide as much information for our fellow builder, without prejudice.

Your input is welcomed here, we're here to serve

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Well I was more talking about just maybe adding a few questions... Like if you where not happy with xx product give reasons and be specific.. Not a re do of the surveys or adding names or things like that.

That IS an option Bob and we need to be open to anything like that.

Any recommendations are welcome.

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattO
    Any recommendations are welcome.
    It boils down to this... the companies surveyed here are new and small - ours included. As professional as one wants to be, some comments made (and I am not only talking about myself) do edge on personal attacks. If PM had 500 employees and I read somewhere "Schiratti is a jerk and his web site sucks" (has been posted in another language elsewhere), it is easier to ignore.

There are concrete problems on various levels in different fields, it is easy to say they are part of the progress but we are talking about fairly complex stuff that has to be made, and at this time the process has flaws, and will have them for a while. For instance.. 10 years ago you could buy various frontplates for aircraft, put them next to the ones made now, and you can see what happened in the meantime very well.

And anonymity - sure, it removes hesitation, but not only in good ways, and people or companies are affected by these comments. As everywhere, there are personal grudges as well (let's not ignore this), and these can't be put on the same level.

I think at the end of the day what matters is the reader's ability to decide how relevant a review/survey answer is for him, a bit like on amazon.com, where the review comments are free text and they can be marked as "useful" by the readers. So the reviewer gets reviewed anonymously. It's a bit of a control mechanism.

Ciao

Enrico

My 2 cents on this. An anonymous survey does not hold the taker in any type of accountability. Therefore, things will be said that are exaggerated, untrue, and have no validity. It allows a "cloak" of secrecy, and the taker never receives any feedback on the specific issues, unless the ratee becomes upset. If I were the vendor in any case, good or bad, I would want to respond to the survey taker. Thats called Customer Care! I find it hard to believe that anyone not satisfied with a product would take an anonymous survey over contacting the vendor directly. I have been involved in the home cockpit arena for many years, and sure, its not all 100%, but if one is not forward enough to deal with the vendor directly, then there are other things that are wrong, and most likely have nothing to do with the product or service.

I once worked for a company that did quarterly inter-department customer surveys. They were too anonymous. Simply answer 5 standard questions with a rating of 1-5, 5 being the highest, and an area to write comments. What consistently happened was a department could have above average ratings, but the comments, because they were anonymous, reflected a very negitive on that department. Now way to correct something like that. This type survey went on for almost 3 years, and the managers discussed the survey in length, and it was decided that the comments were possibly more true than the rating, so the options were to make them non-anonymous, or not do them. It was voted for the latter. Why? No one wanted to be accountable.

So in my opinion, an anonymous survey should carry no weight to even be addressed or read by anyone. Doesn't matter if it is good or bad rating. And I am sure that the staff here thought and discussed the anonymous survey in depth. But I will always believe that anything anonymous is not accountable.

Stepping off my soapbox now.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney
    So in my opinion, an anonymous survey should carry no weight to even be addressed or read by anyone. Doesn't matter if it is good or bad rating. And I am sure that the staff here thought and discussed the anonymous survey in depth. But I will always believe that anything anonymous is not accountable.

It's a good soapbox you're on and I do think that getting feedback, even when anonymous, can point to something that is right, or of course... wrong. You have to credit the writer of the review/survey with having some sort of point, whether and to what extent it is justified or not is a different issue. In the example you made, doesn't it beg the question what the anonymous negative comments were about? What the underlying problem is?

There are other good aspects to the anonymous bit. Let's face it, I would personally have a hard time posting strong words in a forum where I perceive the majority to be against me should I do that (the company's own forum or a place where they advertise ). Then I run to another forum where I think the majority is with me, and post there - or in a place where I am not identifiable.

In such cases, some form of communication breakdown already took place and direct exchanges are not possible anymore. I know of some very practical examples where my only way of reacting was to take notice of it, let others judge the poster's own words the way they are put and - this bit is important - react to the core statement of the poster by doing something about the core of the issue at hand to improve it - if you can. The tricky part is not to get dragged into some kind of conflict because of it.

But back to the reviews....

Imagine I am waiting for a part/feature, do not get it... am upset about it... then I go make a bad review about the entire company/individual. Ok, my bad for not contacting (or re-contacting) the vendor - but the deed is done. Then the issue is somehow independently resolved or addressed...

Can my entry be retracted/modified? Can it be commented? (check e-bay for instance)

Ciao

Enrico

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney
    Soapboxes are good, don't get off

You hit the nail on the head Rodney. I always believe to honest and up front. If there is a problem, I'd rather be up front with a person (vendor) then do it behind their back. But not everyone thinks the same way as I do. That's why we have a secret ballot system when we vote, not just for candidates but for ideas and approval.

Quote Originally Posted by eschiratti
    I think at the end of the day what matters is the reader's ability to decide how relevant a review/survey answer is for him
    Enrico's comment IS the bottom line. You have to take the survey for what it's worth.

If there is one disappointment I have regarding the survey, it's the lack of participation. The more participants the more accurate the results. If I remember correctly, statistical, the average participation of customer survey is around 10%, we're not Even getting close to that. There is ONE vendor (that I know of) prints on their receipts a statement to encourage to fill out the survey at IFSBI.

When it comes to SURVEYS, there is constant research and change of how to perform an accurate customer survey. I've worked with focus groups in different organizations regarding surveys for over 30 years. It's amazing, the same concerns keep appearing as here. I can argue both ways why a survey can work, and why it won't, in the end, vendors still wanted to know what the customers said, good or bad.

Here we stand, throwing our hands in the air. What do we(IFSBI) do to provide a service for both the vendor and the customer?

Quote Originally Posted by eschiratti
    Can my entry be retracted/modified? Can it be commented? (check e-bay for instance)
    Excellent point Enrico. This has been discussed by our TEAM LEADERS, and thought (because of the limits of the survey program) we should set a time limit for the surveys. As an example; display the current results for six months or one year, then delete and start over. Although I prefer the e-bay method, I'll check to see if the program can be modified to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast