Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

SOL7 - not for single beamer setups

Hello

I have to admit, I also should have posted the reasons for my opinion. The setup for my test was:
    - 1 beamer (Panasonic AE900, HDready / 1280 x 720)
    - SOL7 software (demo version)
    - projecting distance 2m (7 ft) minimum
    - curvature screen only available in very small size (but enough to test)

The goal:
    - project a picture with more than 100° f.o.v. = field of view
    - check the behaviour on curved surfaces

Here 4 problems I have encountered:

Problem #1:
    The normal f.o.v. in the flightsimulator is 45°. Increasing this leads to a very distorted view which could hardly be corrected with SOL7. Especially if additionally projected on a curved surface.

Probelm #2:
    within the given distance it is impossible to project a very wide picture. It's the beamer lens which should be "wide angle". SOL7 can not help.

Problem #3:
    The resolution of the beamer has to very high, because with SOL7 a lot of the area is chopped off PLUS the picture is interpolated.

Problem #4:
    If the curvature radius of the screen is small, then the picture on the left and right is not sharp anymore. The depth of focus tolerance is approx. 0.5m (1.5 ft) with my beamer. Also here, SOL7 does not help, it's the lens again. This is even a killer criteria for me for a multi-beamer setup. If one has a less curvy screen, it will not maybe not visible. But my room-size is limited.

Hope this provides clarification why SOL7 is not meant to work for single-beamer setups or screens with small curvature radius. SOL7 can only un-distort the picture for moderate curved-surfaces at a fairly long projecting distance. It is NOT a "picture widener". At least in my opinion.

Regards - Valentin

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Oh, and the 1000 lumens, you think that's bright enough?
    by experience: with 1000 lumen you have to darken the room. My beamer has 1200, but I would like to have 2000 a least.

Regards - V.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Majorfibbs View Post
    by experience: with 1000 lumen you have to darken the room. My beamer has 1200, but I would like to have 2000 a least.

Regards - V.
    Reason I asked, and Rob knows this, I have a NEC LT240 with 2400 lumen and in eco mode, it's about 2000. This to me is about the right brightness. Any more, particularly in a wide curved screen setup, you get white wash So I wondered with a higher contrast ratio the effect is worth having a lower lumen projector. And BTW, dark room is ALWAYS better in a sim...

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Hello

I have to admit, I also should have posted the reasons for my opinion. The setup for my test was:
    - 1 beamer (Panasonic AE900, HDready / 1280 x 720)
    - SOL7 software (demo version)
    - projecting distance 2m (7 ft) minimum
    - curvature screen only available in very small size (but enough to test)

The goal:
    - project a picture with more than 100° f.o.w. = field of view
    - check the behaviour on curved surfaces
    Valentin, and AndyB correct me if I'm wrong. The intent of Sol7 is not to stretch the FOV, but to allow a square or rectangular projected picture, that normally is viewed on a flat surface to be adjusted (moving the edges), so it can be viewed on a curved surface, without losing part of the image.

You're right, if you stretch it, it distorts it. I've done that with curved mirrors....

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    The intent of Sol7 is not to stretch the FOV, but to allow a square or rectangular projected picture, that normally is viewed on a flat surface to be adjusted (moving the edges), so it can be viewed on a curved surface, without losing part of the image.
    You are correct.
    For some strange reasons everybody hearing about SOL7 thinks of streching the f.o.v. Including myself and colleagues.

Hi All,

Starting to hit some interesting subjects . I'm sure more will follow.

Matt is correct. Sol7 is deigned to remap the image, not to stretch the image. We don't do anything with the field of view (FoV) in the software application, but map the FoV of the image to hit the screen's FoV correctly. This is a confusing subject to describe without pics, so I hope I provide some insight.

There are two different problems when projecting onto a curved screen:
    1) distortion correction (taking a planar image and correct it for a curved surface)
    2) getting the FoV of the software to match the screen.

We can achieve 1 with Sol7, but 2 has to be done in the software and here is where I understand there to be a limitation in FS settings. For most commercial sims, the software application will give you FoV settings (and generally multiple camera settings for more than one projector/display), so each projector's FoV matches the software's FoV. All of this infomation is really needed to make everything 100% correct. Sol7 can then warp (and edge blend) this info to stitch it all back together correctly so it's visually correct.

Taking the distortion correction issue, Sol7 will remap the image so flat can become curved. When designing a screen, we make sure that the curved surface is the same dimensions as a planar one. So a 130" screen is still the same physical size, just curved towards the user. This is an important factor to note.

And here's where is starts to get interesting again. The radius of curvature of the screen increases the FoV of the display as the edges move closer towards the viewer. Smaller radii will give more immersion (and FoV) but will effect the focal characteristics and the amount of warping.

So here there are other considerations which include:
    1) the focal range of the projector (too much curving will cause focus issues)
    2) the throw distance of the projector (a large throw distance will cause image shadowing when the viewer sits in the center of the screen).
    3) as Sol7 remaps the image, the larger the curvature, the more pixels that are lost.

We have found that it's possible to go from a planar screen (approx 80 deg FoV) to 100 degs FoV when curved. So in my opinion (I have a single projector onto a curved screen sitting next to me as I type) there is quite a considerable benefit from going single flat, to single curved.

The software settings in FS though are something I'm not familiar with. I run 2004 and X (Demo) without changing any visual settings and the info looks visually correct.

I think the real key when testing on a screen, is to take the same screen size as a flat setup and curve it, rather than making a screen with a new aspect ratio as that will certainly cause all sorts of visual problems.

Once we get TH2Go implemented, we'll work on posting some of this information (with pics) on our website to describe this interesting area in more detail.

Hope this helps.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Good to hear the bit about TH2G work.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Our current thoughts are ....
    - provide a home-sim (non-commercial) version of Sol7
    - add support for TH2Go and horizontal span mode
    - software would be licensed on a per PC model, so a number of projectors can be run from one PC.
    - pricing would be in the region of 350-400 USD per PC with one full year of email support as well as immediate access to all minor and major upgrades
    - optional upgrades and support beyond the first year at $50 per annum to stay up to date with current versions
    AndyB,

After reading and trying to understand just what it is that you have created, I have come to the conclusion that you have a made a remarkable product for the flight simulation community. I like you am new to the whole idea of building a personal flight simulator and the items and software needed in production.

I think your pricing is spot on. The fact that your willing to add/change your software to incorporate TH2GO for the home cockpit builder, and the idea of having free support for a year is another picture of just how your company operates in a professional manner. I believe we will see more great things come from you guys in the future; now understanding just how big the population is in flight simulation.

I wish you all the best with the flight sim community. I promise you, you will not be disappointed and will have many customers in the gates awaiting its arrival.

Please once the "Home Sim" Sol7 version is available for download and key purchasing, please remember to post it.. haha

Do you know if your company will be accepting paypal?

Again thanks and have a wonderful week ahead.
    --

Kris S.
    Seabrook,Texas

www.lear45project.org

Also proud supporter of..
    http://hangar45.net
    www.innovativefsp.com

Cool

Probelm #2:
    within the given distance it is impossible to project a very wide picture. It's the beamer lens which should be "wide angle". SOL7 can not help.
    Please see this thread from FDS forum dated 2005. Would this possibly help for your FOV thought?

Agian Im new to all of this so excuse the ignorance.. haha. Just trying to help. All the best!!

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/f...r=asc&start=15
    --

Kris S.
    Seabrook,Texas

www.lear45project.org

Also proud supporter of..
    http://hangar45.net
    www.innovativefsp.com