Thread: Greetings!

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Talking Greetings!

Greetings from the Air Capital (Wichita)! I'm not really new to simpits, but I'm new to this forum. For several years now I've been researching simpits and technology ideas behind them. I frequent the WSGF, viperpits and fighterops forums. I've yet to make up my mind just what sort of simpit I want to make. Regardless, I have fun batting around ideas and thoughts with the simulation community.

I am a second year Manufacturing Engineering student at Butler Community College in Andover, KS. I have a previous degree (1998 ) in New Media Technology, but got burnt out on that field of work. The idea of artist in your job title vs engineer was a deciding factor for the change.

I've been a game focus tester for EA Mythic's DAoC and WAR MMO for several years now. Also, I'm a community forum moderator for EVGA's forum too. With that in mind I love to game and talk about gaming technology. My interest in simpits has focus upon surround-screen gaming lately. I'm interested in multi-screen display technology and dome projection. For example I've used TH2G+SoftTH to achieve functional 5-screen hardware accelerated generic DirectX 3D surround-screen that works in most games, not merely MSFS. I've also used a mix of TH2G + wall projection when using the space simulation Orbiter. My overall goal would be to help bring new concepts and ideas to the table about home built multiscreen and dome projection projects.

As I'm a full time student, I have the rare luxury of not working atm, so I have a bunch of free time to focus on such projects. Hopefully, I can add something meaningful to this forum along the way too.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Greetings Bhathorne and very nice to have you here. The subject you are interested in is a hot topic at the moment. Take a look at this thread: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11040 There is a lot of data on this site that may or may not help you decide on what pit to build. Have a good stay and when you are testing these different video setups.. We really like pictures!!!
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    We really like pictures!!!
    Here are a few pictures from threads I've posted elsewhere.

Projectors:

Semi-Circle Dome Idea:

5X Dell P1110 TH2G+SoftTH 6400x1024:

DAoC MMORPG at 6400x1024:

Widescreen Projection+TH2G Orbiter sim:

New Phenom/Spider system with 2 Geforce 8800 & 1 Geforce 7800 video card:

Hopefully that'll help a bit with the pics request.

Welcome to the forum, then !!
    Nice to have you around.
    Luis Gordo
    Instructor StationTM - www.iStationGordo.com

Here is some military simpit stuff I have. Mostly F-16.

While I do own a set of Killn/Luckiest F-16 simpit plans, I'd rather use a real cockpit section for the authenticity and history involved. In an ideal world I'd be able to do a small corporate jet, a 737 and a fighter simpit. One thing at a time though. That broad goal makes for fun challenges...#1 being a good generic/adaptable projection system. I guess I go at things backwards sometimes, but projection system design seems more important than cockpit atm. The first fuselage cockpit section that's not outrageously priced will get my priority time though. I pity my future garage space.

Another random pic of interest. Ever wonder how they transport the completed B737 fuselage sections from Wichita to Seattle? Well, here you go. I took this with my digital camera outside while on the way into Spirit Aerosystems surplus about a month ago:

They do everything but wings and interior at Wichita. I got a 5 hour tour of the 737 fuselage production and the 787 building in October. Just wish they could of let us take pictures inside the buildings. It was interesting seeing the 787 Section 41 mounted on a huge rotary that can spin 360 degrees around. Saw them move one of the section just out of the autoclave. Walked through the whole process of that building. The 787 production and 737 production building are vastly different setups. Really, the 737 production area is very confusing and random while the 787 building is all clean and mostly linear to walk though.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Very nice pictures.. Thank you and keep and keep posting!!
    Bob Reed