Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Andy,

I can not speak for the rest, but from what I've seen this is a common configuration. (see pic) P is the Pilot and C is of course the Copilot. The three blue spots are the TH2go screens.

If I use 3 projectors, what is the maximum angle I can have them aimed and still get a correct picture? For example using the same pic I've included, If I Have a projector over the Pilot and Copilot and one between them aimed forward. They would be projecting on the positions shown by the blue areas. The angle of them would be down. About a 50-60 degree angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Here is what I plan to use out to 200 deg http://www.northernflightsim.com/projectionscreen.shtml

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Thanks ivar for the positive response about Sol7 and how it may meet some of your visual needs.

Sol7 currently supports the multi-PC, WideView approach and also works with the TH2Go cards. However, with the TH2Go, it only sees the display as one overall display (rather than three seperate outputs). Therefore, at this point, Sol7 only provides one configuration screen per TH2Go box, so it's only capable of warping and edge blend the whole output.

We are currently working on supporting this set-up to provide a configuration screen for each display, so it would be interesting to know current usage of both the TH2Go and WideView displays.

Any comments on current set-ups and preferences??
    Does this mean that if I use the tripplehead2go my projectors have to be aligned with perfectly edges? And then the Sol7 then can warp the image to get the image perfect without need of curved mirrors.

Or will this work if projectors are not perfectly aligned aswell?

Andy B. You should absolutely look into a private license software with Sol7, with private license pricetag. (Like what project magenta have done). Flight simulator-building has exploded the last two years and all vendors struggle to meet the demand after parts. You can make your own market with this kind of software. Should sell very well with the "right" pricetag

For me this is very interesting. Getting a wrap-around wiew with good quality is one of the biggest goals I have with my simulator.

150+ Forum Groupie

I just did some testing with the software, it is really amazing.
    For my project, I would only need 1 single channel to cover the front. Very easy to use software !
    In stead of using 3 LCD televisions, I can use 1 projector and a curved screen. The display is borderless and as big as the 3 TV's.

This is certainly something a lot of us can use !
    [

25+ Posting Member

Don't forget one important thing : sharpness !

Before I had blown up my 2 projector images to 5,5 ft wide each ( 2x 1.65m ) for a total of 11 ft.
    Now I am using them for 2x 4ft each ( 1.24m ) and my outside view is way sharper.

At Flightsim events you often see the same ; 1 image of 7 ft wide.
    Nice to look at from 10 ft ( app 3.05 m ) distance but when being near to the screen it is not sharp anymore and very pixeled.

So be carefull !

Phidgets

Hi ivar,

Until we implement seperate configuration screens for each output for the TH2Go, (which is currently being investigated) taking a single configuration screen from Sol7 and projecting this onto a multi-channel curved screen wouldn't be easy to implement at this stage.

Because each projector would be mounted in locations offset from the center of each projected display, the map required for alignment on the curved screen would need to be individually configured for each projector.

When a multi-display configuration function is implemented in Sol7, we will be able to warp each projected image so there would be no requirement for curved mirrors. The alignment of edge butting images can be done in the software, rather than by mechanically aligning the projectors.

One feature that Sol7 additionally offers, but will not work with TH2Go, is edge blending. Edge blending is a pretty handy technique to get rid of the shape edges between side-by-side projectors, but requires there to be a repeated image in the overlap regions. This is a sim-software requirement, rather than something that can be generated by Sol7.

I'm looking into documenting this in further detail as it's quite a complex topic to discuss in words. I'll try and get something up on our website in the next week or so, which hopefully helps the explanation of an rather complicated topic

Also, just to note, multiple projector configuration and edge blending is possible for WideView set-ups.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by ivar hestnes View Post
    Does this mean that if I use the tripplehead2go my projectors have to be aligned with perfectly edges? And then the Sol7 then can warp the image to get the image perfect without need of curved mirrors.

Or will this work if projectors are not perfectly aligned aswell?

MyCockpit Support Staff

G'day Andy and welcome to MC.org,

I'm another member interested in improved projection techniques, I'll be watching this thread.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

My overall opinion...very innovative piece of software, but the revenue model needs some tweaking for wider acceptance. A thread over at Viperpits relating to this:

http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.p...43304#msg43304

Hi Andy, another user here just dipping my oar in Unlike some of my esteemed colleagues below my home pit is very much at the lighter end of the scales. With my modest 2 screen setup I can potter around the virtual sky's, but the one thing I know I need to sort out one day is the outside view.

I had been considering the THTG route, I even have one ready to roll. However being a small GA simmer, the advantage to a single curved screen, with a single projector is immense (not least the fact that I need only 1 projector, reducing risk of a hasty divorce if the wife sees the bill for 3 new lamps ) As such I am also keeping an eye on the thread for developments on any 'non commercial' product release you consider.

Its good to see a commercial company like yourselves taking time out for us 'little' people. I know we cant be the most lucrative audience, compared to real clients out there in the military and commercial sectors. I hope we can strike a balance, giving you a valuable test bed, against the impact on your time.

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magicaldr View Post
    ...reducing risk of a hasty divorce if the wife sees the bill for 3 new lamps )
    Got a super secret link to getting those bulbs...hehe. ywh on diyaudio forums is a cheap source for Hong Kong import of projector bulbs. I've yet to find another source that'll price match him. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=59091

That thread is ungodly long, but the gist of it...take a pic of your bulb or get specs for the replacement and he'll tell you what kind of bulb you need and sell you a new one you put into your used lamp assembly. Very cost effective option. I'm using him for a source for my SP5000 bulbs. He price quotes me $80 for bulb and $5 for shipping. Shipping is probably slow as **** from HK, but I can wait for that price. Reading that thread, he has a long established track record. Looks like he started selling bulbs in 2006.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast