Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cheap motion using junk, things about jimspage Questions etc

Hi Guys and welcome to to the world of cheap motion. There are heaps of brilliant idea's out there but not many on the net.
    This would be a good place to toss ideas, thoughts, links etc around so toss them in and see what we can all learn from one-an-other.
    Playing with junk is great fun... Makes the old brain think on a different level.
    I'll hang around this forum if anyone wants to pick my brain, BUT I can be away for a week at a time.
    Get going, collect some junk and toss the idea in.. we all want to learn to do it better and cheaper.

Jim NZ
    www.jimspage.co.nz
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Administrator

Funny motion platforms was mentioned this week. A friend of mine sent me a link.

http://www.force-dynamics.com/video/..._301-lfs-1.wmv

He is not a sim builder but new I was. This video is using one for a car but could easily be used in a fighter, helicopter, or any single seat aircraft.

Administrator

Motion

Jim

While checking membership site's I did get a shot of your motion sim. This is really good. I know someone who is looking at motion for fighters. Will pass this on. Would be neat to have about 3 or 4 players using something like this. So much simpler than most. Great idea!

keeps us informed here if you progress into a version 2

Cheap motion

Hi Larry
    Yes there are a lot of cheap and easy methods out there.. some really ingenious.. I think we just need somewhere to toss these idea's around and this is a great place to do it.
    Not everone has a lazy $20,000 (and thats the cheapest) around to get motion going.
    Some people also just like making do with "junk" and putting in their own ingenuity to end up with the same result.... I actually found making do with "junk" very rewarding and the whole thing ended up a very enjoyable sidetrack from the real mission.
    I have had e'mail and photo's from guys who have made moving sims using car jacks, a wire sort of winch thing and one was even using the moters out of car window winders... all were absolutely brilliant.

It will take a while for word to get out that there is a "cheap motion using junk" forum where they can toss their ideas in and develop them further.. We all want to furthur our fun in the hobby.
    I plan to do a big update on my site with FAQ's and will then point everyone to this forum as this side of our hobby needs some good exposure for everyone to read and take part in.

Thanks for allowing this to happen.... You guys are great... Jim www.jimspage.co.nz

Administrator

Jim:

Thanks for the kind words about IFSBI. We would not be here without the support of builders like you that have ideas that get put into practical use.

We appreceiate all your support and comments. We are trying to bring in as much information for the builders as we can find. Now we are working hard on the tutorial section . If you have any tutorials that you would not mind sharing pass them on and I will get them posted.

Regards

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

I heard someone used an old Junked "Craftmatic Bed for their platform." Wonder if you can find those in the scrap heap..

Trev

Administrator

Now thats interesting. I have an adjustable bed but I wouldn't want to use it for a motion platform. Very slow and was very expensive.

Trev,
    Believe it or not the theory is quite sound... The movement in beds is generally done with a 12 or 24 volt DC linear actuator thru a built in power supply... Probably other methods too but I dont know.
    Now linear actuators are used in small to medium moving platform commercially but the ones in beds are of a very low duty cycle... to quote one supplyer.... 2 in 18... that means it can only operate for 2 minutes and then rest for 18 minutes !!
    The bed ones here in NZ (cant remember the brand) have, after a real indepth search on the net, have a habbit of going on fire !!! Probably due to the duty cycle or sheets getting wrapped in the works... dont know.

As Larry says, they are slow, but the actual movement is depending on a messy formula of force applied, speed, and how far from the pivot point(presumming you are pivoting it.)
    They are generally rated in Newtons (or kilo-newtons Kn) if you find a labell.. divide the newtons by 9.81 to get the Kgs it will lift. (general guide only)

Anyway if you find some, have a play but remember the duty cycle. The good thing about them is a DC moter is easy to control.

So Larry has a moving bed huh ??? The mind here is racing...

Get that junk moving Trev... find an old bed or better still pop around to Larry's bedroom when he's flying.

See ya's JimNZ www.jimspage.co.nz

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Jim, Thanks for the info. Something about "Fire" In your description is what might prevent me from using such an animal. Duty cycle is definitely a concern, we can't have the sim go up, but not come down, although it would be neat hitting my fire pull switches.

I winder though Jim if those motors could be replaced with a standard wheelchair motor. From looking at one the other day, I would think that the shaft of the low duty cycle motor would be removable, and refixed to a wheelchair motor (also 12V or 24V) and they wouldn't have a duty cycle.

Well good thoughts,

Staying away from fires for now!!!

Trev

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

What about a waterbed....... Just kidding

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast