Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi Guys Was just updating my web site and had the sudden thought when going thru all the E'mails I've had to deal with, that the naming on this thread could be a bit "putting off'ish" to the simmers that have built great platforms cheaply but it hasnt been out of junk.

These guys are also the ones we want to hear from and share knowledge.

Lets hear from them, even if its just a theory, toss the thought around.
    Some-one else may have done it before and succeeded.

So,,,, about these linear actuators ???? Any one been down this road ???

JimNZ www.jimspage.co.nz
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Junk is not necessarily bad. We've built a lot of cockpits out of someone Else's junk

BUT, Jim you have an excellent point. See you there.....

150+ Forum Groupie

Planning stages of 3DOF sim based on your concept

Hi Jim sorry to be a pain but just needed some more tech advice ...Basically spent the last week scouring the net for more info and am looking at how to implement a 3DOF sim based on your design but cant seem to find out how the Heave axis is implemented on your system.... have sourced or
    should that found a breakers yard which may be able to get me 3 off Steering boxes and Pumps for a BMW 7 series inc pipes and Arm also 3 off Windscreen wiper motors from the same type of car .. Prop Shaft as well so looking good For the major Elements Coil Spring ???? still trying to work out size Etc .Have a basic Concept and outline Drawing for the Actual Sim Platform But need to Tidy up a load of little details before Metal is Cut .Wood is Chopped , House destroyed LOL .Any info would be Greatly Appreciated as always Hope one day to do you proud... PS as my existing simulator was built around IO Cockpit Interface Cards ( Spanish Company who supply IFC cards Ready Built ) OPENCOCKPITS.COM was wondering if any one has been down this road using your Mechanics and theres electronics One last idea would a Mcpherson Strut ( Coil spring / Damper assembly Typically used for Modern Suspension units ) be suitable for Central support ( With Universal joint Fixed to Floating End ) Spring rating to be sorted..

. Just a thought

Very Best Regards ( Wannabeaflyer)

The planning

Hi Calvin, first of all, yes I have got your email but Ive been away for a week and am just back now. Thought I would answer the forum first. Will get back in more detail when I get onto your email.

The trial sim I built was only 2DOF's (no heave) and it sits on a car driveshaft. I am building YAW into my next one (long story as to why) but if I was going to add heave, I would use "lemon tubing" (it is used on the power take-off (driveshaft) on big mowers (and other impliments) that are behind tractors. There are 1,2,4,and six sided types. I would have used the 6 sided one and put a small truck driveshaft universal fitting on the top. Just under that there would be a disk that was on the top of the spring. etc etc. Getting the right strength spring will be a mission in its-self !!! probably have to get one made ???

The cards from opencockpits.com, I dont know anything about so maybe someone else could fill that in.
    One output card that looks very promissing is from www.flightdecktechnology.com and that is because you can feed in macro's. Ultimately this card could make my second (motion) computer unnessesary as (if) the macro is versatile enough, it could do the hole control bit. I am researching this at the moment so will keep you informed.

You seem to be making great progress in finding the bits and thats the main battle.... keep it up.
    Will send you an email in a day or two.. or three ...
    Cheers ... Jim NZ.
    www.jimspage.co.nz

150+ Forum Groupie

Ref Making Progress

Hi Jim Just an Update from a happy Chappy Had a Play with CHcomm and Hyperterminal yesterday ...We Are talking Major league Grin Here Actually got the Scuse the Expression Damm thing to work ( sorry guys just Riding a high at the moment ) Things are starting to come together Will Keep you Posted

Progress !!

Calvin, what can I say.... How do you Aussies put it ??? something like "bonza ripper dude" or " keeooool Mate"
    I got the feeling there will be no holding you back now !!!! You can actually see progress, and yes,, its a **** of a thrill.

Great stuff Calvin. keep us posted.

Jim NZ

Back from being away !!

Hi Calvin, Sorry to flick you back here but Greg is on another angle (a rather interesting one) and I didnt want to change the flow of his forum there.

Now your steering box's. ... Mine had a 90 degree swing to the arm and it took 6 turns (at the steering wheel end) to do the complete 90 degree swing. That makes it about 24:1 ratio.
    Your idea of including heave (and Roland is dead right here) brings a problem of weight bearing down on the steering box's. it would probably be too much even if they were power assisted ones. Commercial makers use a tube thing (square tubing or "lemon tubing") coupled with a spring to assist in the weight distrubutiion, but, but, you would have to do some homework here.

Using an electric motor to drive a power steering pump is not just a mater of throwing it together.. You will need to work out...

The speed of the pump versus the speed of the input wiper motor (Can it keep up with the volume/pressure)
    The horsepower required to drive the pumps (Power steering pumps run at anywhere between 600 and 1600 PSI.)
    Andd thats just 2 that rattle to my brain. I havent been down that road yet but I would work it out first before spending any money.
    I suppose though, if you dont try anything, you wont be any further ahead. Probably just buy one and sort it out first before buying 3 of them ???

All is not gloom and doom though ,, there are 3 other guys that I know of that are actually going down that road of using power steering box's so hopefully they will pop when they get it going and fire some results into the forum.

Now the wiper motors ... Torgue ... I havent the faintest idea here Calvin !!! But probably they are very much of a muchness as they all do the same type of work (Move 2 blades across a windscreen) The thing here to look out for is how you are going to mount it and how you are going to couple it to the steering box. Some would be **** and not worth the bother. .. Just compare and see what will suit you.

I hope thats of help Calvin, Tread carefully if you have to BUY them as its "see how it goes" sort of engineering. !!

Cheers ... Jim NZ

p.s. Ive been away a few days for work

150+ Forum Groupie

Step by Step

Hi Jim Again you came up with the goods as they say .. Welcome advice from a level head Lol i intend to this weekend haggle like mad witjh the guys and see if they can let me have the units on a sale or return sorta deal, that would allow me to try out the operation config before commiting to the full kit ... Cant seem to find much info ( Free Info ) as to how to implement the Heave function so looks like this will be a two stage project ( 2 axixs learning Prototype) Full Monty to follow.. Have now oredered My K74 Relay Card kit which should be arriving any day now and the post office guys say i have a parcel to be picked up ( should had em send it to work ) so that most likely my 2 Off Motor controller Boards ( Hope it comes with the Extra Device to allow Greater Current Peak.. Staill Looking Around and may have to bite the Bullet with Classic Flight as they seem to have a design for Heave which could be Useful , Will Keep You Posted ... General shout out to all the Veiwers has any one out there got any ideas regarding how we could get the Heave Function implemented on Jims Motion Platform Cheers Guys

150+ Forum Groupie

GETTING THERE THE EASY PART

Hi Guys just got my K74 Parallel port 8 Relay output card built from a kit supplied by Quasar Electronic's Here in the UK ,, hoping that the package i will pick up from the post office tomorow will be my 2 Motor controller Boards From DSE in New Zealand both items as recomended by Jim ...Relay board works a treat kIT WAS EASY to put together and once FS204 & CHcomm were runing switched over to my Platform Controller PC running GWbasic + Motion .bas ...i gotta say it Like the Guys From The A tean=m used to say " i Love it when a plan comes togather " so as isaid above this is the easy part the Mechanical bits to follow once the software and Control systems have been tested, Would still love to hear any thoughts about different drive configurations or ideas as it all goes into the melting pot mix it around and something good pop's out LOL i know they seem tedious posts but its nice when things can be seen in action so just wanted to share the moment ... :P

It works !!!!! and there is more good news !!

Calvin ... I wish I were a fly on the wall and seen your face when the relays started to click and clack intune with the roll and pitch.
    Its a great feeling isnt it ???? You done well .... I can see your grin from here. !!!

I really cant understand why more simmers havent used this method for motion because it is so simple to get going !!!
    Its not complicated like other ways ... Just get one thing going at a time like you have and you will be moving in no time.

Well done Calvin .. Keep us posted...

BY THE WAY EVERYONE ... chcomm3a.zip is now available from www.flightsim.com at long last !!
    chcomm3a.zip is actually chcomm3 rehashed with an automatic free key for FSUIPC so it loads and runs automatically.
    Thanks to Peter Dowson, Claude Hanssens and Erich Leonhard. ... Thanks Guys !!!!
    Get there and download it, read the doc's and you will be hooked on just how easy it really is.

Jim NZ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast