Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Somewhat confused.... SLI not supported in FSX, so that means not supported in FS9? And, SLI only wokrs with VISTA?

Obviously, I have limited knowledge regarding SLI and how it works. Any help in some education would be appreciated
    I am still new to flight sims, so I can't attest to SLI working or not in FSX. SLI works in Vista and XP just fine. Frankly, I'd recommend XP over Vista use unless you need DX10. DX9 works just fine. Some games it's a matter of semantics when they say "support". It might not be supported but it will work. In other games, "not supported" actually means the client software breaks SLI functionality through certain non-standard hacks that game uses. You'll have to investigate on a case by case basis what games do and don't work with SLI. Much is the same with using a TH2G. Some games simply won't work with surround, some have -vert FOV issues, while others work perfect right out of the box. A lot of this information can be answered at WSGF. Wide screen gaming forum specializes in addressing surround and wide screen gaming issues and work arounds.

WSGF: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
    What's a "MOBO" ? Sorry to have to ask!
    Have you tried outside views on this system?
    Looks good.

TONY
    Mobo is just an abbreviation for computer motherboard.

That setup is a temporary one used to see how frame rates are via 6 monitors and 1 system. I don't really like to use those CRTs for much. They're too heavy, the bezels are huge and every one of those monitors has different color settings on them no matter how much I try to get the colors right. One of them is pretty much washed out from too much use. They're just surplus monitors I have sitting around I use to test random stuff.

I'll try FSX with it before I tare that setup down again.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Brad, thanks for your explanations

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Brad, thanks for your explanations
    No problem, I remember how hard this stuff was to learn on my own. I'm just trying to make it easier for others.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    No problem, I remember how hard this stuff was to learn on my own. I'm just trying to make it easier for others.
    How are the frame rates with the 6 monitor experiment? I am thinking of using a dual head PCI card for left and right views. I already use Parhelia and two other low power instrument PCI's. My system is Asus MOBO/ 3g proc/2g ram.
    As you seem to experiment a lot, I thought I would ask.

TONY

Quote Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
    How are the frame rates with the 6 monitor experiment? I am thinking of using a dual head PCI card for left and right views. I already use Parhelia and two other low power instrument PCI's. My system is Asus MOBO/ 3g proc/2g ram.
    As you seem to experiment a lot, I thought I would ask.

TONY
    The 6-monitor setup is up and running. I've just not had time to install FSX on it yet. I have a silly problem of typically trying to do too many personal projects at once and many of the projects suffer in the process. Hopefully, I can get something done about the 6-monitor testing today and see how it goes. 2 of those monitors have some color calibration problems and one of them is outright washed out/burnin age issues. They all work though, so we're good to do the testing with it at least.

With your example question: If they're only pushing instruments, I'd say it's ok. If they're pushing a main view with big pixel count, it would be too much of a slide show for my preferences. When you start stressing the machine with anything over 2 monitors you really need a modern cpu, motherboard, video cards setup or the fps gets really bad. My example is using a Phenom 9600 Black Edition (unlocked), 2 8800GTS 320's and 1 7800GTXKO. The motherboard I'm using has 4 PCIe 2.0 slots that accept 16x PCIe cards and run them in 8x PCIe 2.0 (16x PCIe 1.0) format. There are several factors there that make it so the computer can push that pixel count. Going older video cards and PCI bus will make things borderline. Ultimately, it's up to you if you can tolerate the fps achieved with the setup, I say go for it. It's certainly a lot cheaper to buy a 6-series PCI geforce card instead of a whole other slave machine. The limitation for you would be the video cards. The other hardware looks to be decent. What kind of slots are available on the motherboard? Is it AGP/PCI or PCIe/PCI?

Question newbie question

Ok,
    I thought you couldn't run more than one grafix card on 1 "Mobo"?
    I see it can be done, anything special? I have my new computer coming today, and I can take my old grafix card out.. its about the same as the new one and put it in with the new computer?
    Got Turbine?

Quote Originally Posted by btlnco View Post
    Ok,
    I thought you couldn't run more than one grafix card on 1 "Mobo"?
    I see it can be done, anything special? I have my new computer coming today, and I can take my old grafix card out.. its about the same as the new one and put it in with the new computer?
    That premise is based on obsolete AGP based motherboards. PCIe has been the slot standard for video cards for a few years now. You can run as many video cards as you have slots to put them in. If your old computer is AGP, that card won't work in your new PCIe computer. Ofcourse, if the card is really old, it might be PCI and that could work in one of the PCI slots. Whatever you do, don't mix up the card slot types. Each slot type is proprietary to that card type. PCI card for PCI slot, AGP card for AGP slot, PCIe card for PCIe slot.

Shouldn't be too difficult to do using 1 AGP dual head card and 2 PCI dual head cards along with the matrox 3togo. That's what I'll be using shortly with 7 monitors. 3 projectors for outside view, 2 for PFD and MIP,1 for the FMC or GPS, and the last for the overhead. Need to have a system with a GOOD power supply 500+ watts, and plenty of cooling. Won't comment of how it will work with FSX. FSX doesn't work well with my system. But then I like everything maxed out with the sliders so that's MY problem not FSX!
    Regards,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by PDT 200 View Post
    Shouldn't be too difficult to do using 1 AGP dual head card and 2 PCI dual head cards along with the matrox 3togo. That's what I'll be using shortly with 7 monitors. 3 projectors for outside view, 2 for PFD and MIP,1 for the FMC or GPS, and the last for the overhead. Need to have a system with a GOOD power supply 500+ watts, and plenty of cooling. Won't comment of how it will work with FSX. FSX doesn't work well with my system. But then I like everything maxed out with the sliders so that's MY problem not FSX!
    Regards,
    Brian
    Hi Bri.

Any chance of explaining what monitors are going to go where? If you are using an AGP dual head for two monitors, how will you run your 3togo? From a PCI card? Can this be done? If you could explain exactly what cards are to receive what (view/ instrument/ 3togo) it would be a help.
    Good luck with the idea.

TONY

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast