Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    Um...Matt..... That is a window.... Silly.....
    Yep, and the resolution of that is impressive.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Brad, I haven't heard you mention SLI, unless I missed it somewhere. Any experience there, and please share if you have

I've heard from gamers, that's the way to go, but how about in our application?

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Brad, I haven't heard you mention SLI, unless I missed it somewhere. Any experience there, and please share if you have

I've heard from gamers, that's the way to go, but how about in our application?
    The lowdown on SLI, SLI only works out of a single video port and disables the use of all over video ports in the computer. To make a long (or wide) story short, I'm a surround-screen gamer, not an SLI gamer. My first experience with SLI was back with the 6800U. I do have extensive knowledge about SLI, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

As far as sims, IMHO SLI would only be well suited for a setup using either a single projector overhead with slave computers doing the rest, or with a TH2G box 3 monitors with slave computers doing the rest. You're stuck with single video out solutions with SLI mode.

The advantage that comes along for simpit builders are the motherboard designs that were pushed forward by SLI technology. You've now got 3 or 4 high speed PCIe video card slots available in some SLI (Crossfire) motherboards. SLI (and Crossfire) developed the technology for us, but we'd use it for multi-monitor instead of SLI. SLI gaming has been one of those buzz-words that you hear a lot about. Just as impressive, if not more-so, surround-screen gaming is slowly growing in popularity.

Brad, stay with me a moment.... I hear ya, "not a SLI gamer" but, how would you think dual cards, SLI will work with TH2Go? What's your opinion on that?

Quote Originally Posted by MattO View Post
    Brad, stay with me a moment.... I hear ya, "not a SLI gamer" but, how would you think dual cards, SLI will work with TH2Go? What's your opinion on that?
    I think it's ideal. SLI is for pushing big pixel counts. Some people make the mistake of going SLI on something like 1280x1024. That is wasted horsepower. SLI is ideal for TH2G OR big screens like the 30" monitors. With SLI you either go wide or big or you're wasting it. I am using a TH2G in SLI mode in the machine I'm typing on actually.

Quote Originally Posted by BHawthorne View Post
    I have the ASUS 790FX mobo and run 3 video cards on it atm. If I had the cash to spare I'd sell my 3 2-slot video cards and go with 4 1-slot 8800GT 256. I will be posting soon my experiences with 6 monitors.

BTW: 1000W+ PSUs are overkill. I'm running a 580W just fine.
    What's a "MOBO" ? Sorry to have to ask!
    Have you tried outside views on this system?
    Looks good.

TONY

75+ Posting Member

Tony,
    Many thanks for your response!

There are two matters that I believe should be considered when upgrading video cards (to attach more heads) and impact frame rates:

(1) In quite a few motherboards you will find that if you insert two (dual) similiar graphics cards in the dual PCIe slots the speed of the Primary PCIe X 16 (PCIEX16_1) Orange slot changes to X 8 mode after you install any device in the Secondary PCIe X 16 (PCIEX16_2) Black slot. An example being the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard of which I have three with Intel Quad processors.

(2) SLI is not currently supported in FSX.

I will try and investigate the Utube demo in terms of real delivered performance and understand what is really going on!!

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Bill View Post
    Tony,

There are two matters that I believe should be considered when upgrading video cards (to attach more heads) and impact frame rates:

(1) In quite a few motherboards you will find that if you insert two (dual) similiar graphics cards in the dual PCIe slots the speed of the Primary PCIe X 16 (PCIEX16_1) Orange slot changes to X 8 mode after you install any device in the Secondary PCIe X 16 (PCIEX16_2) Black slot. An example being the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard of which I have three with Intel Quad processors.

I will try and investigate the Utube demo in terms of real delivered performance and understand what is really going on!!

Bill.
    As I am not (currently) with PCIe, I am in a different experimental area but am convinced that one computer will be all that is needed in the future. The games market is knocking on the door of the designers already!

TONY.

Tony,

Bill.
    Me again!

Try going onto Utube and look for flight simulation and Ghost|Vian. His email details should be there.

TONY

Question

Bill.
    Somewhat confused.... SLI not supported in FSX, so that means not supported in FS9? And, SLI only wokrs with VISTA?

Obviously, I have limited knowledge regarding SLI and how it works. Any help in some education would be appreciated

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast