Im using the popup ATC window and option 1, 2, 3, etc. currently :P-
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A bit more work done.... also did some painting....the paint I used was American Accent "satin Nutmeg" which was recommended as a close match to Boeing brown on MikesFlightDeck.com:

The Altimeter is Goflight rotary encoder connected to remote RP48

All switches are connected to Hagstrom except for AutoBrakes which is Goflight rotary encoder to remote RP48. I had to do a lot of head scratching to figure how to get a toggle switch on the Heading Ref and pushbuttons on the Thrust Rating Panels since they are over the LCD. Alright, I guess I should confess that the Altn Flap is just a knob with no switch behind it (yet).

No panel cutouts on LCD so that I can use the FO side for flying other planes - it's a copy of Capt display using VGA splitter cable

The EFIS (made from Goflight remote RP48 and Parking Brake (push-pull boat switch to Hagstrom):

I still need to add some annunciators.

Regards,
    Henry

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andarlite View Post
    Thanks guys.

And yes, the Goflight modules work great..... I'm using the RP-48 for the MCP (see one of my previous photo in the "Starting Over" link for the complete MCP panel)...... I don't have that panel in the picture as I am currently wiring up the switches... the only thing that it won't have is the display for the speed, heading, etc. Anyway, it's just a temporary solution until I can afford a MCP. I'm also using a GF-166 as my Com and ILS radio. I would like to get 2 more GF-166's (3 in total) for use as (Com1 and Com2) , ILS, and (transponder and ADF). I also have a remote RP-48 kit that I am using for the altimeter, auto brakes and EFIS.

Regards,
    Henry
    HI,
    Nice setup Henry,
    Just for information: If you would use Opencockpits IOcards and SIOC software you can interface almost every switch, led, 7-segment display of the Level-D digitally with my free Lekseecon program (that connects SIOC with the Level-D SDK). Far more cheaper then GOFlight modules and with lots of more functionality. It only costs you a lot more work in building.
    Nico Kaan

Hi Nico

Is it possible for me to keep my current setup and use the OpenCockpits USBOutputs card (for the annuciators) with your Lekseecon program?

Regards,
    Henry

Hi Henry,

Yes ofcourse!

That would indeed be a simple and cheap solution for controlling 64 leds (with dimming). You can pick any led/annun in the Level-D panel you want by using the right pre-defined SIOC vars. The SIOC code is not difficult, you can find it at my site.

Regards,

Nico

150+ Forum Groupie

Which materials did you use? How did you cut?

Hi Henry,

Nice work. I'm now building a 767 myself although I'm not happy with my homebuilt panel and plan to redo it, possibly get it made by a sign maker with backlighting etc.

Which material did you use for your instrument panel? Looks like 1/4" panel board. If this is the case, what did you use to get such straight edges on the (square) instrument displays? I bought and tried every tool that exists short of a laser or CNC Router. Even by cutting rough with a jigsaw and then using a metal edge to mark the desired cut and using a rotary tool with a sanding cylinder, I didn't get perfect results like yours. I found where I did manage to get a straight edge, the particleboard I used is not really robust and started to chip, despite painting it with an enamel paint.

I like your choice of using Level D 767 instrumentation over PM. Despite being a very sophisticated and advanced system, LD provide keyboard shortcuts for just about every control. So should be easy to practically replicate the whole thing without stretching the wallet to PM and then getting a hybrid boeing instrument display.

I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress.

Paul
    VANCOUVER
    Jet fighter / single pilot sim, plus thinking of a 777 as a secondary sim.

Hi Paul

Thanks.

The material I used is "1/8 inch standard hardboard". Costed me a buck 35 at Home Depot for a 24"x24" sheet. Also comes in larger sizes..... it's nice to work with and I wasn't too concern about having backlighting on the MIP. I also wanted something cheap as I knew I would be making mistakes and have to re-do (believe me, I went throught a lot of sheets).

To get the straight edge, I first put masking tape over the area where the cut would be made (to prevent chipping), I clamped a steel straight-edge on the cut line to use as a guide and I cut it by hand with what I think is called a "keyhole saw" with a fine blade. I then use a fine file to finish off. At first I tried the jigsaw and it was terrible.... same with using the dremel tool to sand...... I could only achieved satisfactory results with non-power tools. I'm sure someone like Gynn could have done it perfectly on the first try in his sleep with one hand tied behind his back (and probably no filing required either) .

Level D is certainly made for the cockpit builder in mind (unlike PMDG). Are you using Nico Lekseecon program and Opencockpits boards in your build?

Regards,
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    ... LD provide keyboard shortcuts for just about every control. So should be easy to practically replicate the whole thing without stretching the wallet ...
    Even better then that, Level-D provides an SDK, so you can interface digitally with the Level-D. Keyboard shortcuts is a bit primitive interface (of the previous century ), they do not work for instance if the panel has no focus, and if you want to set Alt to say 23000 feet it is a bit clumsy to do that with keystrokes for increment and decrement; you want to be able to set the altitude at a certain value. The latter is possible with the Level-D SK. My freeware programs FSCONV and Lekseecon make the SDK available in FSUIPC offsets and as SIOC Variables, so home cockpit builders do not have to program in C to use the SDK.

Nico Kaan

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    Keyboard shortcuts is a bit primitive interface (of the previous century ), they do not work for instance if the panel has no focus, and if you want to set Alt to say 23000 feet it is a bit clumsy to do that with keystrokes for increment and decrement;

Nico Kaan
    Hi Nico

The part about it not working if the panel has no focus is not true. As long as the keyboard shortcut is provided for a certain command, it's irrelevant where the panel is...... your statement only applies if you were using a program such as Key2Mouse, but thankfully with the Level D you don't need it. You can also get by with incrementing/decrementing the Alt using a Pulse switch connected to a Hagstrom card (with keystroke command) or even Leo Bodnar card.

Anyway, not trying to be difficult or anything. I think your Lekseecon program along the OpenCockpits cards is the ideal way to go for a 767 cockpit............but there are also other simpler solutions (ie. keystrokes) that also work and it all depends on how much effort and at what level the cockpit builder is at.

Once again, thanks for the incredible wealth of information you have provided on your website for us 767 builders. I espescially applaud you for providing FSCONV and Lekseecon AND support for them all for FREE.

Regards,
    Henry

I don't agree with you. I have used Knitter switches (a pulse switch) in the past (the previous century actually ) connected to a Hagstrom KE72 card and if another application at the FS9 pc has window focus, for instance Servinfo or SB3, then the keys arrive in these applications and not in FS9/Level-D ...

I 'm not saying keystrokes do not work, and I agree it is a simple to understand solution, but come on guys, lets' make some progress now , and lets step into the world of real interfaces! They are also cheap, that is not the problem, they are only a little bit more complicated to learn and apply, but after you have seen the light, you will never go back to keystrokes again .

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast