Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung 245BW

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Samsung 245BW

I just ordered a new Samsung 245BW 24" widescreen monitor from Newegg.com.

I was over at my parents house tonight setting up a wireless lan when my step-Dad showed me this monitor he bought a week ago. I ordered it the second I got to the computer and saved $100 over what he paid.

Awesome clarity and sharpness. I'll be using it for the main outside view. This should hold me over for quite some time for this small sim.

This monitor is only one inch taller than my 19" Samsung 931C, but it's 7.5" WIDER! What a view thisis going to give me out the front.

Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

I got the baby brother of the one you are getting.... mine is the 225BW as my main outside view..... these are fantastic monitors. Eventually I want to get 2 more of them and the triplehead2go.

We have all Samsung monitors here.... except for the one 17 inch Acer that I bought as one of my MIP monitors.... what a piece of crap.... no wonder the price was so cheap.... I put it over on the FO side. I ended up getting a Samsung 730s for the captain side.

Regards,
    Henry

This is my third Samsung and second LCD from them. I've always had good performance and reliability from Samsung. My instrument panel monitor is a Hanns 17"WS and it was cheap too, like the Acer, but it is a amazing monitor for the money.

Now if I could stuff my 931C behind the instrument panel for my engine gauge stack that would be great...but it's way too big.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Boeing 777 Builder

Hey BSW, now you just need to get 2 more and hook all 3 up to a TH2GO for an absolutely awesome view!!

But seriously I agree with you on the Samsung quality. I have a Samsung, Acer & BenQ for my three instrument panels and they rate in that order in my opinion (all purchased off ebay!). Probably will be getting 3 x 22" Acer widescreens for my outside view eventually as they are the best bang for buck at the moment in Aus I think. I disagree with Henry as my 17" Acer is sharp and nearly as good as the Samsung.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Speaking of TH2GO, can I use my 931C 19" normal aspect ratio monitor with the new 24" widescreen with TH2GO, or is that not wise to mix monitors with different resolutions?

I'm trying to think of something to use this 931C for since it won't fit behind the instrument panel. I guess I'll save it for the new computer early next year and use it for internet.

I could use it right now on the old 400Mhz machine for internet.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Do you guys find much difference in brightness and color levels with all your different LCD's?

I currently have 4 LCD's in my cockpit and the Acer just does not look good next to the Samsung's. I have tried adjusting brightness, contrast, colors and I just cannot get it to match the other 3 (or even come close) ..... the difference is quite noticable. Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Henry

Boeing 777 Builder

BSW, yes you can mix monitors with the TH2GO. I'm not doing it myself but I've certainly read extensive threads on Avsim where people are using one large monitor for the centre and two smaller left and right. Even mixing LCD's with CRT's isn't a problem, although not an ideal setup. You just have to tinker with the overall resolution setting for the TH2GO in Windows as it thinks there is only one monitor, so whatever screens and res you end up using, add them up and pick the closest TH2GO resolution available.

Henry, I have an Acer 17" and I must say the first thing I noticed was how bright the whites were, it's my BenQ that's the dullest which of course I have relegated to the FO. Comparing it to my Samsung reveals little difference. Can't think what might be causing yours to underperform if you've tinkered with settings? Maybe a dud monitor??

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

I've read about the Samsung's being so bright out of the box it's like looking at the sun. My 931C was no different.

I read an unsubstantiated statement saying that Samsung did this intentionally to lower the life of the backlighting tubes and TFT panel. Probably not true, but it makes one wonder.

Thanks for the TH2Go info.
    Boeing Skunk Works