Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Why I decided to leave this forum

In my last post in the topic 'Airbus panels', I said that would be my last post. But I got to know many very nice people in here and I feel I owe an explanation to them since they may not have read an Airbus post if they are building a Boeing Sim. Hopefully this will clarify my reasons and maybe improve the atmosphere for all the people here.

I decided to leave because on many occasions, I have seen cheap shots being taken at FDS and this can only hurt the Sim community, especially when there clearly is a personal vendetta by some members, including some of the IFSBI staff against FDS. I said I now felt un-welcome here & with all due respect for Bob Reed's opinion, I do not think enough is being done to stop the bashing.

The various posts on the ‘Airbus panels’ topic are only the tip of the iceberg. Time & time again, I have seen sarcastic & even sometimes derogatory comments about a company which I have got to know quite well and which were totally unjustified in my opinion.

Bob, it is true that I wasn't personally attacked, but frankly I would much prefer that as I'm very capable of defending myself. I think I have a very good command of the English language and I can certainly detect sarcasm, innuendos and half truths in many previous post whenever someone mentioned FDS.

I feel un-welcome because these posts attack someone whom I know personally and for whom I have the greatest respect, and who has made an incredible contribution to this hobby. I'm not saying that either because I live practically next door to FDS. I do not get preferential treatment in any way, shape or form. I have waited just like everyone else for parts, and in fact, because of my close association with Peter, sometimes even longer than others since Peter knew I would be more patient.

FDS is not a charitable organization; they are in business to make money like every other business. Sometimes, they have to make difficult decisions since their growth has been phenomenal and that has very often made it very hard for them to fill all their orders in a timely manner, or to satisfy every customer who wants a particular, one of a kind special part worth a few dollars and who demands an instant response (and there are many, many of those).

I always considered this forum a great forum with great people but I cannot in good conscience participate in it any longer until I see a real effort that this type of bashing is no longer permitted as evidenced by such posts being removed immediately by the moderators.

There is nothing wrong with someone relating a particular bad encounter with any vendor as long as they present all the facts and not just a wide generalization. If your dispute is because a unique panel took 6 months for delivery, or whether the vendor would not build something special just for you, it has no place in this forum. If your dispute is because you paid for something and never got it for instance, then by all means, warn others if you wish.

In conclusion, thank you to all the people who helped me on several occasions, and hopefully I was also able to help some people occasionally. If anyone wants to find me, you can do so in the FDS forum

Happy building everyone,

Maurice

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Sorry to see you go Maurice, I hope one day we will see you again.

Best regards,

Trev
    Mycockpit.org - Administrator

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Hate to see you go Maurice, you've been a fantastic support to MyCockpit.org and it's fellow builders.

In case you don't know, all but one of my panels of my A340project are FDS's. I have Peters original A320 Project shell, side sticks, and Rudder pedals. I may not necessarily see eye to eye with Peter, but I certainly admire his contributions and achievements regarding our hobby.

MyCockpit.org (IFSBI) started 2 years ago today, with the intent of Flight Sim Builders helping each other. That we've accomplished.

Occasionally someone will make derogatory remarks regarding vendors. What you don't see behind the scenes is our intent to stop this from happening. We will not allow bashing!!! That's not our objective, our objective is Flight Sim Builders helping each other.

I remember the spat that happened on the Avsim forum quite a few years ago between "deleted by administrator" has made quite a few derogatory remarks towards FDS on these forums. As a team member I would like to see these types of posts by him stopped as it cannot promote that flightsim company which goes against everything this website was built for as we all know.

As with Maurice I have been a very happy FDS customer for many years.

Gary
    Last edited by W9XE/Project777; 11-01-2007 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Mycockpit.org Policies

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

"The various posts on the ‘Airbus panels’ topic are only the tip of the iceberg. Time & time again, I have seen sarcastic & even sometimes derogatory comments about a company which I have got to know quite well and which were totally unjustified in my opinion."

So you are allowed an opinion when no one else can???? Not everybody has had "great" dealings with said people. They are allowed an OPINION just like you.

Glad Chevy didn't quite making cars because Ford people say they are junk!

Same principle here, opinions will be found everywhere, ignore them by sharing your good examples and not running to hide.

On a side note,
    I have spent SEVERAL THOUSAND dollars with FDS so i have a RIGHT in the USA to voice my opinion.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

737Nut
    Money does not give you any right whatsoever....even in the USA! Pure and simple.
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    737Nut
    Money does not give you any right whatsoever....even in the USA! Pure and simple.
    Are you kidding me??! That gives me the right because i have first hand knowledge of products and customer service.

Now if i was going on internet gossip only, then you would have a point!

Like Matt said, we now have choices and to each his own on what companies products they deceide to use.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi,

Not everyone has the same experience with a supplier and it's ok to state an opinion based on the service and quality.

I spent a few dollars with FDS at the very beginning of building a sim, however I found them to be somewhat obnoxious and they still haven't sent me a part I complained about 18 months ago. My own experience helped me to decide not to purchase further parts from them.

I would like to hear what individuals have to say about suppliers - it may help prevent a bad experience of which I have heard several over the last 2 years, and I've taken note of them and avoided some suprises

We have a thing called freedom of speech - so allow for diverse opinions.

Rob

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Angry

Since we are all saying what we think, let me chime in here.

1. This thread should be locked.

2. To help prevent this kind of thread in the future, we should have a 'Rate the vendor' section where the vendor receives a score from 1 to 10 on various factors that make for a good experience. No individual comments should be allowed to prevent any possibility of legal harrassment from either side.

3. A link should be on the front page 'Vendor Ratings' for anyone that wants to find it.

4. Limit the number of times someone can rate a vendor to once. No stacking the deck allowed.

I really hate these kinds of threads because no matter how well-meaning the original poster the very nature of the post itself is inflamatory and is exactly the kind of thing that can destroy the family athmosphere of a forum.

Free speech is a right given to us by the US Constitution and so we like to say what we think no matter how much it might hurt someone. That needs to end. Its just one of the many things that are destroying our world. We must learn to be considerate of others even if we dont feel like it. Thats what civilized people do. Idiots and fools fly off the handle and start fights and flame wars. I pray in the name of Jesus that the membership here is not a gang of barbaric fools.

I truly hope that there are no more responses to this thread and my suggestions are implemented.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

Boeing 777 Builder

Here, Here AndyT.

No matter where you're coming from there is just too much hate and derision in the world. Please lets not make this happy and enjoyable forum, which reflects the happy and enjoyable pass time we all enjoy also become a vehicle for that derision.

I understand Maurice's frustration. I'm building a Pilatus PC12!, how many comments, good or bad, are made about that, far less the availability of custom panels! But at the end of the day, it just serves to inspire creativity. We're really all out to help each other, even FDS.

BTW. I love the Airbus.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast