Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hey Andy,

If you don't mind I would like to respond to your suggestions, so I will Try.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Since we are all saying what we think, let me chime in here.

1. This thread should be locked.
    At this point. There has been no attacks on individuals, or direct slander towards a company or person, so Locking the thread would be acting as a form of censorship.

In the past we have Locked threads, when the posting switched from attacking a product or a supplier (ie. Project Magenta) To directly attacking an individual supporting such a supplier.

If that Occours here, where someone deliberatly turns the finger on someone and users slanderous or defamatory comments. We will lock the thread.

2. To help prevent this kind of thread in the future, we should have a 'Rate the vendor' section where the vendor receives a score from 1 to 10 on various factors that make for a good experience. No individual comments should be allowed to prevent any possibility of legal harassment from either side.
    I like your idea about a rate the Vendor section, and we should consider this as an alternative, however As previously stated by another individual, it is only fair that you can describe "PERSONAL EXPERIENCES" We do not accept hearsay as a form of "PERSONAL EXPERIENCES"

3. A link should be on the front page 'Vendor Ratings' for anyone that wants to find it.

4. Limit the number of times someone can rate a vendor to once. No stacking the deck allowed.
    If we add the poll, it can appear on the front page, as well as by default people can only vote once.

I really hate these kinds of threads because no matter how well-meaning the original poster the very nature of the post itself is inflamatory and is exactly the kind of thing that can destroy the family athmosphere of a forum.
    You are 100% right. The issue is people have a bad day, and when they read the forums, they misinterpret what that actual goal of the conversation is. I see this issue every day at the office with email. I for one know, never reply to an email at the office unless you have well rested and consider all the possibilities that the writer meant. I have been caught many times from snapping back at someone, only to find out that I wasn't focusing on the core element.

Free speech is a right given to us by the US Constitution and so we like to say what we think no matter how much it might hurt someone. That needs to end. Its just one of the many things that are destroying our world. We must learn to be considerate of others even if we dont feel like it. Thats what civilized people do. Idiots and fools fly off the handle and start fights and flame wars. I pray in the name of Jesus that the membership here is not a gang of barbaric fools.

I truly hope that there are no more responses to this thread and my suggestions are implemented.
    Free speech is a common element throughout many countries in the world, but people need to understand what the rules of free speech are, for instance, you cannot threaten to kill someone and claim free speech, just doesn't work that way. Ultimately, people are responsible for their actions. No if's and's or But's.

It is a shame that people get so upset over hearing things they appear to not agree with.

Great closing Andy, I for one, wish more people thought as you do, people need to realize this is a hobby for most, and therefore if your not having fun..... maybe it is time to find a new hobby.

Best regards,

Trev

I don't know anything about the source of this problem but I would offer some observations:-

- I did read the "airbus panels" thread at the beginning and did think that some of the comments about FDS were a little immature in nature.

- What I personally find ugly about this post is that it seems to be spilling over into a political argument. Without meaning anything derogatory to my American friends, too many people are making statements like "...I can say that because this is the USA", or "...as an American". This is a forum with an international community, well represented from many nations and cultures. Americans, Canadians, Brits, Aussies, Dutch, Germans French, Indian, etc, etc, etc ...... I just don't think patriotic overtones belong here. Whether or not open free derogatory comments about vendors are allowed here is not down to the constitutions of the USA - it's down to the environment and rules that the administrators here want for the site!

Site owners of forums all over the globe make choices on how they want to run their forums - the extremes being a 'completely uncensored, say anything at all' style, and a 'Heavily censored, avoid all contention' style.

Let's not get carried away about human right of freedom being opposed !!

I have never dealt with FDS but I am sure they have a mixture of happy and less than happy customers out there. It's true of all vendors. Some people said to me "CP Flight are useless, they offer no support at all", yet I have spent £650 ($1300) in the last month with CP Flight and I find them absolutely exemplary in every way. Product quality, delivery times and costs, and support.

Perhaps in that specific thread, FDS were getting a harsh appraisal but in other forums people will talk of how good their experiences have been with them, I'm sure.

I'd just like to close by saying that in the 2 months that I have been on this forum, I have found it the most adult, balanced, genuinely helpful forum I've ever attended. There is virtually no flaming, no childish bickering, just like minded people helping eachother and sharing their enjoyment.

Let's protect that !

David R
    Durham, England

1979 Mooney M20J Cockpit builder ......

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

David R, I'm with you 100%

I've got to tell all of you, we (the partners, team leaders, administrators) get tremendously frustrated when post like this are started. We have the power to delete ANYTHING, but we bite our lip and persevere.

I and the TEAM, would rather see this not happen and continue with our commitment to help others be the focus at MyCockpit.org.

David R, thank you for your wise words

I just wanted to add, I look at today's post, and except this thread, I'm exited and proud of it's contents. I see our mission being met. I thank those for ignoring this thread and going on to the business of building our dreams

25+ Posting Member

Get back to work(building the cockpit) guys ..Every thing is under control ..

Pankaj

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Trevor and Matt,
    PERFECT wording in your post!!

I couldn't agree more. Not ONE thing was said directly to an individual or company that was THAT bad.

Come on guys! Loosen up and grow some thick skin!

What happens when a passenger complains your landing sucked! Do you cry and quit!

Well maybe if you broke the gear! LOL

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi all,

As a team member I am disappointed to see a member leaving over what I see as just frustration over a case of differing opinions and mis-interpretations.

I think what isn't being said here is that these negative comments towards our hobby's vendors are usually caused by a builder's own frustrations and impatience. This relatively new hobby of ours can be incredibly frustrating as we all know, we are all experimenting and trying to build our cockpits in many different ways. We have over 2,100 members and probably each member is using a different method to build their cockpit. There are no right or wrong ways to do it when you think about it. No company has yet seized the opportunity to provide an all up package to be able to build a plug 'n' play cockpit.

My own fledgling business "Aerosim Solutions", has already been attacked by a frustrated builder. I was told that my business was doomed to failure by this guy because I could not supply him with a Boeing throttle quad immediately because he had the cash ready. I work alone and I only have 4 contracts at the moment which will take until about March 2008 to complete because my magic wand is on the blink! These four contracts will completely recover every cent I have ever spent on my sim and I haven't placed an advertisement yet so I don't see any failure or doom for my business on the near horizon. Will I lose sleep over a lost customer? I think not as there are plenty more to take their place. I am sure FDS, FDT, PM or whoever are all in the same boat. We are all making unique parts that take an incredible amount of time to create and most customers expect perfection and want their products immediately, it's human nature. Fortunately, my current customers are patient and mature enough to be aware of the difficulties to be overcome producing these type of products. In fact they are all involved in the development of their parts and are helping me.

This is a minor hobby and it is true that the vendors are few, it is through no fault of a vendor that his waiting lists and lead times are long. I am not attempting to compete with any other vendor as I respect them all for helping our hobby grow, I just imagined that Aerosim Solutions could fill a few gaps here and there and it is astonishing to me that I have already received criticism. I choose to ignore the "bashers" as I'm sure the other vendors also do, we're all too busy to worry about crap like that.

To all the builders who are dumb enough to criticize a vendor, I suggest the alternative is that you go out to the shed and make your own throttles/panels/circuit boards/cockpit software etc. The vendor critics are the people who are generally suffering from their own defficiencies of IQ and are unable to see the big picture, condolences to you all!

My $58 worth!!!

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Guys, read Pankaj's post one more time.

There will allways be different opinions of any company, and people will allways experience the service different. Some has unrealistic demands for the service, others are in a rush - and other again don't care too much as long as they get what has been promised.

Using myself as an example: I am very satisfied with FDS and their products, but I am still thinking that they could be better. They lack that little extra which would make them perfect. The quality is very, very good, and the missing things lies in the details.
    I also am a very happy customer of FlyEngravity, but I don't like the somewhat steep pricerange and the lack of information. On the other hand, the level of detail and quality is very, very good.
    I am also a customer of Simparts, and I think their products are very affordable and of a great quality. I am not that satisfied with the finish on SOME products, but it is easy to fix that myself.

Overall: There are pro's an con's for every company doing business in our line of hobby. I am not afraid to express my opinion, and will do so as I see fit (promising to tell the whole story). If any company has a problem with that, they are not serious.

Maurice, which forums you prefer to use is up to you. But by posting this thread, you give me the impression that you are on some sort of crusade to stop critizism of FDS. That is not good, neither for you or for FDS. If you want to help FDS, then post your good experiences and tell people about it. Don't leave a forum because some people are posting their frustration. As I use to say: You have that friend which will tell you to not do business with that or this store, because of that and this. Knowing your friend, you subtract VAT and a generous discount, and you get the true story. Because said friend is known to be both demanding and exaggregating.
    I work in a furniture store, and we are NOT afraid of the customers that get angry with us and "will tell all my friends about it". Because we trust that their friens know how the customer in question is like, and that they can make a sound judgement themselves.
    So please give me the same trust.

Now go back to building, folks!

PS: Here's my latest experience with FDS (since FDS is in the wind in this thread):
    I have ordered the MIP, MCP+EFIS and landing gear. The MCP and the landing gear has arrived. The MIP and the EFIS haven't, and it has been a couple of months since I placed the order. I knew that there was a big backorder. Peter Cos has been nothing but kind to me, and has answered my questions all the way. I know I'll have to wait some more, but in the end I will get my stuff.
    Oh, and the MCP had a malfunction in the V/S wheel. FDS will cover all expenses to get the unit working again. You can't demand more than that! I am very satisfied with the service, even though things are somewhat slow going. But I am in no rush.

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Vidar
    I agree with you .......just add one note:
    This is not an industry as such and production schedules cannot be "industrial"
    Peter Cos always refers to his "Shop" ..never mentionned "Factory"
    Besides, FDS is solely a flightdeck parts manufacturer...they do not have any other activity to subsidize their business..no wonder production has to be run tight, and finally they have been THE innovator in our Hobby...takes money and time..and more demanding than following a trend.

Just to be fair Guys! ...I would not stand for them if I was not satisfied with their products and their extremely cooperative attitude.

End of that post for me..
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVERY AFTER!

(fingers crossed )