Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Airbus

Have to disagree John, most of these guys nowadays have charged the development costs into the builders that is us and the real money is being made with the PRO market... So that is the reason they cannot focus into this market which is logical but then again there is a commitment towards the builder at least that is what I think.

Regards,

ROberto

Quote Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
    I'm thinking that it might actually be exactly the OPPOSITE going on. That pit hardware / software suppliers are maybe discovering that selling high development cost, limited sales potential niche market items has proven that it is VERY difficult to provide the kind of customer service that is EXPECTED from consumer's experiences with mainstream mass market items.

They might tend to "nickle and dime" people to death because those nickels and dimes have actually turned out to BE important in the cash flow picture. And when they find the the old adage, "Time is money." is far more true than they want to admit.....and the "time" part is becoming all consuming.

When a "hobby love" turns into a "business venture"...... there are often many "shocking reality lessons".

best,

...................john

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodiano View Post
    ......the real money is being made with the PRO market...
    Roberto,

Most pit suppliers seem to me to be either smaller ops or are "hobby turned business" sidelines to the real money makers...... which might even be in other fields. Such is the nature of this kind of obscure pursuit.

The fact that the "real" money and business commitment lies elsewhere has nothing to do with the fact that the home simpit market is VERY SMALL (as much as we all like to believe that it is huge.....to prove our sanity if nothing else). So one has to decide how much time he/she can AFFORD to devote to a limited income/ labor of love "business". Keeping the wolf from the door obviously comes first.

From what I've seen... too many people expect too high a level of support .... particularly in the form of "instant solutions" ........ for a product that on a relative scale compared to the features offered.... costs very little to the end user and makes the company very little money. That level of support is fine if the company selling the "widget" is selling 20 million of them at $1 a pop. But if they are selling a few thousand at $200 a pop...... the 24/7, "at the drop of a hat" support model does not work.

best,

...................john

10+ Posting Member

I understand what your saying but in this instance its more about stubborness than anything else. How difficult would it be to just add the item to the list of other purchases and send it along with them. Its already been payed for. If the shipping cost goes up then send a friendly email asking for more cash to be tranfered to the account to cover the difference. Not hard really. I have made purchases from different vendors and alot of the time the need to use the online ordering system is not required to make changes to the original order. I think this company is being ridiculous about it.

Gary

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Airbus

Roberto,

Most pit suppliers seem to me to be either smaller ops or are "hobby turned business" sidelines to the real money makers...... which might even be in other fields. Such is the nature of this kind of obscure pursuit.

The fact that the "real" money and business commitment lies elsewhere has nothing to do with the fact that the home simpit market is VERY SMALL (as much as we all like to believe that it is huge.....to prove our sanity if nothing else). So one has to decide how much time he/she can AFFORD to devote to a limited income/ labor of love "business". Keeping the wolf from the door obviously comes first.

From what I've seen... too many people expect too high a level of support .... particularly in the form of "instant solutions" ........ for a product that on a relative scale compared to the features offered.... costs very little to the end user and makes the company very little money. That level of support is fine if the company selling the "widget" is selling 20 million of them at $1 a pop. But if they are selling a few thousand at $200 a pop...... the 24/7, "at the drop of a hat" support model does not work.

best,

...................john
    The thing Here John is that some people are paying up to $2000 or more in panels and stuff which basically they have payed for developing costs for certain companies... And people are not receiving support or worst they ask a question they are publicly hushed or driven away!! Also you pay for a product you are right you might not have an overnight solution but at least a way to work with your proble, or a realistci deadline or goal for it!! I have been around in this hobby since 1996 and have seen the developments since day one **** I磛e been trying to setup my own company since 1998 and been failing but keep trying but still the aim is the builders!!! Whether the money is or it is not on the builders you pay for a service or a product and you expect to receive support for it and someone to respond for that! Again we created this place so that this type of things could be publicly addressed!!

Take care,

Roberto

500+ This must be a daytime job 737NUT's Avatar

Roberto,

best,

...................john
    Keep one important thing in mind. 90% of what is sold to us is 'made to order' hence notice the "lead times" on all these sites. 4-6 weeks min. to as much as 4-6months. When doing business that way, it is ALLOT less complicating and cheaper versus keeping a stock of items. I have owned my own business and the consumer dictates what and how we do and act, period! If you can't live up to or hold those standards then you shouldn't be in business. I am a very patient person for all but simple things. It's those easy to remedy simple problems that drive me nuts. Language barriers make it even harder for us all in this hobby. We all have a common goal, common means, and expect the same in return. I appreciate all the vendors and choices we have but i wish the lead times were allot less. At least the communication could be much better while we are waiting on the parts.

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 737NUT View Post
    When doing business that way, it is ALLOT less complicating and cheaper versus keeping a stock of items.
    Actually that is one of the most expensive ways to manufacture things.... as one-offs. Mass production is the cheaper way to go. Just-in-Time manufacturing works for BIG companies because of the mass production tooling. Just-in-time for the small guy drives labor costs thru the roof. And purchase of materials is smaller lots keeps their cost high too.

The long lead times likely have more to do with finding the EXTRA time AWAY from the real money producers that support the business (and feed the owner's kids) to devote to supporting the hobby at what is likely a far reduced profit per unti time...... than any strategic business profitability plan.

Don't get me wrong here... I think the added shipping cost thing on the original concept of the thread is absurd.... but the conversation veered away from THAT topic and got into sort of a "general bashing" of the flight sim suppliers. THAT is why I responded.

best,

.................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodiano View Post
    The thing Here John is that some people are paying up to $2000 or more in panels and stuff which basically they have payed for developing costs for certain companies... And people are not receiving support or worst they ask a question they are publicly hushed or driven away!!...

Take care,

Roberto

Gee, I wonder what site that has happened on?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!