Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motion Software

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by TronicGr View Post
    The KT5198 needs PWM input to set the speed and the direction of the motor. Thus another microcontroller is needed to read the serial data and pulse the KT5198 with the appropriate PWM signals.

And the position feedback should be connected back to the microntroller to know how to drive the KT5198 with PWM to set the position of the motor(s).

I'm currently building such PWM controller that can cooperate with such PWM driven motor controllers including KT5198. Its not ready yet but you can see the progress of its construction here:

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/tron...nput-t559.html

It will read data from Ian's BFF driver interface too (now debugging some baud speed issues with Ian on this).

Thanos
    Hi Thanos,

Thanks for the info. I have read the entire thread you have pointed me to.

A couple of questions.

How far off are you from finishing your board design?

Will your design include the driving software or will it use x-sims? (from what I can understand, x-sim uses joystick position and forcefeedback info and does not allow for washout - please correct me if I am wrong)

If I used your design, could you please tell me what boards I would need ie: k8055
    KT5198

Would I only need the KT5198 as the motor controller and your board to feed the PWM signal to the KT5198 and your board for the positional feedback.

Your help is greatly appreciated. The motion side of things has only now become the important bit. Up til now, it's been panel building, cnc building (to build the panels) interfacing blah blah.... you know what goes into cockpit building. I now have my fully enclosed cockpit ready for motion.

Thanks again
    David

Hi RobiD

Yes, you need the KT5198 as the motor controller and my avr motion board to provide the PWM pulses and read back the position feedback.

I have yet many code parts of it that need to be assebled toggether without causing conficts to each other, and redesign the PCB layout a bit. I hope that I will have it available in less than a month (if I find the time offcource).

It will be able to connect to various motion software:

1. X-sim (CAR DRIVING, LFS etc)
    2. Ian's BFF motion driver (3DOF)
    3. Keith's Portdrvr (gauge) motion interface (FS2004)

I succeded serial connection speeds of 115200bps on all of the above software, meaning it will have much free proccesing power to control fast the PWM or other servo systems!!

Note: X-sim can read real game motion data that are provided by the games thru plugins. So its no need to use the joystick position or the forcefeedback effects!

Regards, Thanos
    My 6DOF motion controller project:
    http://motionsim.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanos, it sounds like it will fulfill my needs (and many other peoples too).

I look forward to further notification from you on it's readiness.

Regards
    RobiD

Velleman K8055 With KT5198

Quote Originally Posted by RobiD View Post
    Hi Ian,

I have been waiting for Jim to finish his motion software and saw your post. I have had a look through the manual and it looks interesting.

One big question. Can I use the Velleman K8055 board for positional feedback and the KT5198 board from www.oceancontrols.com for the motor contoller using your motion software?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

David
    Hi David,
    Waiting? Me, too!! Jim's in the Oz outback, at the moment, combating flies (fliers never give up!!).

Seriously---last I heard form him before he left, he had achieved very satisfactory motion results, using his own software in VB, but had a minor glitch--end stop problem. Meanwhile, I've acquired both the boards, and everything will be ready by the time he gets back. I've already built the 2 axis motion part (fully enclosed) driven by car window motors ( though I think windscreen motors are better).

So if you're going this way its patience, my friend until first week November.

But I must say I'm absolutely heartened and zapped by the number of hardware/software routes being taken, and stand in awe of the individuals concerned and how generously they share!! More Power To Them!!!

In passing I'll add----this is my first post!

Erich.

Hi Erich,

Thanks for responding on behalf of Jim.

I will hold off and be patient.

I did notice it is your first post and you have been a member since December 2006. I figure you must have felt that my question was worth your first post.

Thanks again
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12