View Poll Results: What's the percentage of your demand for Full-Scale Realism?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to 25%

3 7.69%
  • Up to 50%

3 7.69%
  • Up to 85%

24 61.54%
  • Higher than 85%

9 23.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What is your required Level of Realism?

Hi all

Westozzie's (Gwyn) 85% rule has really got me thinking and it has been a real blessing to me, helping me to relax on some little items that could bug the daylight out of any sim builder that demands the ultimate in realism for their sim. Well, that and Maurice's recent discussion on rudder pedal force and other intricacies!

So, here's the Poll and keep in mind that the last choice doesnt have to mean 100%, just more than 85%.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Although at the end of the day I spend hours and hours...well, days and days, months and months, and now even years and years stressing over each little millimetre, I know that compromise will be made, and what iI realy want is the "feeling" of being there. Really, if it feels right, and looks "in place" then thats what matters to me.

This compromise wont stop me though; striving and dreaming and thinking and imagining and drawing and designing and testing and mocking(not in the making fun of sense) and building and rebuilding and redoing the whole bloody lot until i get it "right".

What that is...... well, "right" is whatever I want it to be.

If your not enjoying it, either finish and fly or keep building and try.

Cheers
    Chris

2nd Anniversay since i first started my 767 overhead

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Having a "generic" pit..... I guess I have to hit the lowest item.

best,

...............john

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I chose 85% but it is probably closer to 75 or even 70 and here is why.

This realism thing razes it’s head every little while. Now before I go further, this is not aimed at ANYONE this is my opinion and that is all it is, not a slam or a swipe to anyone or there project. What is realism.. You know what, it is different for everyone. Now lets look at cockpit simulators specifically. To start with most of us are using Microsoft’s Flight Simulator, a $50.00 program. Right there says something. So we start out having to make a compromise, right before we lift 1 soldering iron or wire or board. The flight characteristics of FS are not even close to real, yes you can get them pretty good but… See what I mean? Aircraft systems? Nope. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. Now the visuals, they are the second big compromise. We will never have the type of visuals some of us dream of affordably in our lifetimes, so compromise number 2 and we have not even installed the software yet. Lets take the simulator itself. It is called a “simulator” for a reason. It simulates a aircraft, it does not have to look like it 100% to simulate it. The idea is to “fool” yourself into thinking you are in a particular aircraft. Take mine for instance. I would say right now it is about 60% real as I want it. It has 2 747 EFIS panels wrong color but function is real close and the back lighting is GREAT after all they are real panels. The MCP is 777 why? Because it is what I had. Now in that panel I am using real AML switches. When I trip a switch on my MCP it feels good! I fly this thing as 737. Had a guy here and we flew it as a crew and all I can say is the sim worked great! The buttons are where they are supposed to be and they do what they should. When I am flying I do not look at my MCP and say you know this would be so much more fun if it looked like a 737 panel.. I do not even notice what it looks like in fact I hardly look at it at all I reach up and grab the knob and spin it to where I want or I trip the switch I want barley noticing the panel at all. I have also had no problems with the wow factor when people see it for the first time… I get it WOW and then “ you are nuts”. I think a lot of folks get side tracked from all the building they are doing with no flying that they lose touch with what they started it for in the first place and you see those sims and parts up for sale before too long. If I wanted to build a model I would have bought one, would have been a lot easer to do, but I wanted a working cockpit. Hardware, real parts are hard to come by and when you find them you better have DEEP pockets. Now you spent all that money on real parts, how do you hook them up to your computer? Gut them and rewire them… A lot of money for a face plate. So we use “replicas”. Some replicas look good when you get them but they become a real hardship to get them working and mounted in the cockpit. They have the wrong font! (oh my gaud!) or the color is not just right…..compromise. I know I have never seen a Go Flight module in a real aircraft, but I have them in my sim and guess what, they work great. Some of them will get replaced down the road but I have working radios and transponder and so forth right now. If I get tired of working in it I can fly it! This post is all about if you can not accept compromise then do not even start. You will spend your entire time frustrated and not happy (ask Tomlin). Know that this is a great hobby as long as you tell yourself you will have to compromise on some things and it will make all the better for you and get you in the air a lot sooner, because after all it is all about flying!

Just my 5 cents... I know but inflation!
    Bob Reed

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Red face

I have to agree with Bob, but pushing all that aside, it comes down to this; How much time do I want to put into this thing, and what level will I be happy with?

I'm a real world GA pilot and my reason for building my pit is to give myself a place to practice and keep current on various things, because lets face it, it costs a small fortune to be able to fly as much as I would like to. My BIG focus is motion because of all the things we can build into the sim to make it look real, motion is something that makes it FEEL real, and that my friends is where my focus lies.

Added Later:
    JBaymore,
    Just because its a generic pit does not mean it has a low level of realism, I fly mostly Cessnas and a piper here and there but if I get in a Liberty or something else, then I still know pretty much how to fly it because the instrumentation is mostly the same. Most GA pits are generic in their basic layout and makeup. So you are building your own plane, that means that your level of realism is actually 100% within the bounds of simulation because it matches your design exactly!
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

I have to agree with Bob,

I started this adventure with flat wooden box to give some idea of an enclosed cockpit, and now have a real size tube, with all the bits in the right place.

How far will I go? About as far as I've got. The focus now has to be on optimizing what is available, and small tweaks.

85% gives me a high score, but the feel of being there is high on my list.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEMB View Post
    I have to agree with Bob, ............

...........but the feel of being there is high on my list.
    Ditto, times 2.

Best,

..............john

MyCockpit Support Staff

Spot on Bob, I totally agree.
    I could replicate every piece to 100% as it would be a person of my type of trade designing the original parts in the first place but why would I bother? For instance, my gear lever is not operating hydraulic valving behind the panel, it contacts two microswitches. I haven't fitted a locking device because there is no danger and it's another thing I don't have to explain to a novice. I replicate from pictures and Boeing manuals, I don't think I need to climb all over a real NG with my vernier calipers. My A320 TQs will probably have less than a hundred components, it only has to drive 3 pots and has two button switches after all. I've basically finished my sim in 3 years, if I had gone for absolute realism 3 years would hardly cover the planning and drawing stage.
    Guys that do go "all the way" still have a lot of respect from me, it's incredible work they do and incredible time and money the spend. My sim has just reached the AUD$7,000 mark and I have refused an offer of 20k. It's time to fly it and build parts for others, I have to be making something in the shed or I'd go mad, lol! 85% for me, 95% for customers...

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I chose "up to 85%", but it's actually what I can afford or build to get it up to 85%. It will never get that high on a 727 build for me.

I really want an accurate panel, control stand, and overhead. I'd be fooling myself if I though I could integrate every detailed function for an unsupported 40 year old jet into my computer. An engineer's station is OUT. There's a big compromise right there on a 727. I'll rely on the on-screen panels for every one of those functions. And that's about half of the operations on the jet! The FE has more workload than either pilot ever has.

I need only the essential functions for the time being. If I can get my MIP functioning where I don't have to use the DF on-screen instrument panel, that will be the biggest hurdle I have faced on this build. If I can accomplish this feat, then I will be satisfied that I did a good job.

Most builders start with the MIP. For my build, this is the last piece of hardware to finish. The reason I chose this order to build it was because the preceeding projects were child's play compared to the 727 MIP.

After completing the rest of the hardware, I was commited to finishing the build with the MIP. I wouldn't have allowed myself to back out of this build after completing so much of the rest of it. If it takes another five years or more, the MIP IS going to be finished, look like the real thing, and operate like the real thing.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!