Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Well, thanks everyone.

Regarding the 85% rule, I have to rope myself back in sometimes, but it will definately be used for the yokes and pedals!

Gwyn mentioned that seeing it all coming to life is a great way to push forward- I would have to agree but add to that comment, that the biggest issue is what most of us have- money! If it werent for that, then I would be done in about a month!

It's been fun so far and I might be able to mount my switches in the panel sections temporariliy till I get the real ones made. If so, then I plan to fly along with some of the World Flight routes hopefully. Lots to do in one month though!
    For me it isn't the money. It is the time, or lack of. I sometimes think that maybe I should retire. Then I will have the time and no money.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Update on General Status

Hi guys

For the past several weeks, I havent 'been around' quite as much due to lots going on, here on my side of the fence. However, it's all been 'good stuff' for the most part and I wanted to post a little update on what's happening with the Learjet sim, and some other recent events. Beware- this could get a bit long!

Although I havent gotten around to posting any photos yet, I now am glad to say that I have seats for the Learjet. In the spirit of holding to Gwyn's 85% rule, I refused to allow my self to buy real seats and I dont have the time to build any. As a result, I went with my cousin (who's helped a lot on this project) to a local junkyard. As you may imagine, I didnt really want to go into what I needed the seats for when the yard owner asked what car I needed seats for. I just basically replied that it was for a project and started looking for the narrowist seats in the best condition. After looking thru a few cars, I found what was initially suggested- a Porsche 924. As I opened the door, I couldnt believe what I was staring at. At the youngest, these seats are 19 years old, but they look brand new. Black leather w/ gray center material and a very light 'Porsche' embossing in the fabric. I needed seats that were clean- these are exceptional. I needed seats that were 20" wide or less. These are 19.5" W. I needed them affordable. These were $75.00 for the pair!

Needless to say, Im very excited. I wish they were gray or tan, but the black will do! No tear-spots or stains of any kind. I believe the owner must have been one person, and very meticulous.

On other parts of the sim, I have recieved a 2nd CH yoke and have now made 2 matching custom columns that are made of high quality materials and painted, looking very professional. This will serve me well until the two yokes can be interconnected sometime next year. Just dont have the time or money to link them right now. Both have been test flown, and there are no problems with conflicts in FS. I have also started the sim base and look forward to finishing it. Brand new grey outdoor carpet purchased last night is going to really bring it together in appearance. I just need to decide how Im to install it on the base.

Several other little things must be done, as well as taking the whole sim apart in about a week for a temporary set up at our church for a charity flight event. No small task!

In real aviation, this past week I had to travel to Tallahassee for 3 days for work training, and it was a year to the week that I made the decision to change from the 737NG to a corporate jet sim. While there, I was thrilled to get the chance to climb aboard a real Learjet 45, and take several pictures as well as talk to the crew to confirm some items for performance/operations of the type. They were very nice and very accomodating! They went as far to say that they would have given me a 'test' flight, if it werent owned by a very popular fractional owner.

All in all, I am plugging forward on the sim and will post lots of new photos soon!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

I look forward to seeing the results. I bet the new seats relites the fire to get it finished. Then...when is a sim ever finished?
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

That's good news about your seats. If anyone asks, they came out of a Porsche Mooney.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!