Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: Sept 07

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org Update: Sept 07

Hi guys and girls. I've been busy with work and other non sim related stuff so I'v not posted for a while. I hope everyone is feeling good.

I've posted a few images in the gallery to show recent progress.
    I had to have a total rethink of where and how I sited the pc's I had.
    I was only using two pc's and the heat generated in their box was unbelievable. I had a 70w fan trying to cool the box and the noise was unreal. I really didn't want to fly.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...php?photo=1774

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...php?photo=1766

I reckon I can get by with 4 pc's. I'm now running 3 spread further apart from each other with space for another upfront. I'm water cooling the front
    (main view machine) and will water cool the other front machine when i can afford to build it!

The rear pc's are a little noisy but I'm working on that. I've now got much better access to all pc equipment and the noise levels have me flying late at night again. hurray.

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...php?photo=1763

While I was at it I've popped a 10.4 inch touch screen in the front this size fits much better than my temp 15inch display. I can start to think about a mip at some point now. I've also connected my psone display to pc number 3 now. I've put GAPanel on this as well and put the navigation instruments up there. this helps compensate for the loss of screen size on the main display.

Bill
    My setup:
    pc 1: MSI K9NSli, onboard sound and lan, LC AMD 6400X2, 4096mb corsair 800ddr2, Pcie 7600GT with 32" lcd@1360x768
    pc 2:Asus mobo, onboard sound and lan, Athlon xp2800, 1.5gb pc4200, agp 4200Ti and 10.4" touchscreen lcd@1024x768
    pc 3:generic mobo, Athlon xp2400, 1gb 133 ram, agp Radeon 9200, pci Radeon 9250 with dual psone vga lcds @768x576
    Cougar, f16u, 7.1 sound, 4.1 sound, Trackir 4pro and vrf tfs seat pack.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Thanks for the update.

I had the same problem with my computer. After moving my sim from the shop to the room where it will be finished and flown, I had no place to put the computer.

The only spot it would fit was in the forward radio rack and I don't have to tell you how hot that got. Even with piping in cool air from the outside, the computer kept crashing from overheating.

Since the shop area is right on the other side of the sim room wall, I built a sturdy shelf on the shop side and moved the computer there. A 2" hole and pass-through pipe routes all of the cabling to the shop side and I have a 14" free-standing room fan blowing into the case.

Temps have dropped to below what they were even before sticking the computer into the radio rack, and crashes have been eliminated.

That 14" fan moves a lot of cool basement air.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

25+ Posting Member

A 14 inch fan sounds good, it seems like bigger slower fans are the way to go. I want ot hear quiet in the cockpit on the few occasions it is supposed to be quiet.
    I can't put my pc's in another room, makes me wonder how others take care of noise and heat. My 2 worst enemies it seems.
    My setup:
    pc 1: MSI K9NSli, onboard sound and lan, LC AMD 6400X2, 4096mb corsair 800ddr2, Pcie 7600GT with 32" lcd@1360x768
    pc 2:Asus mobo, onboard sound and lan, Athlon xp2800, 1.5gb pc4200, agp 4200Ti and 10.4" touchscreen lcd@1024x768
    pc 3:generic mobo, Athlon xp2400, 1gb 133 ram, agp Radeon 9200, pci Radeon 9250 with dual psone vga lcds @768x576

In addition to the heat mine was generating, the six fans in the case contributed to a LOT of room noise. Imagine a small vacuume running the whole time you're using the computer.

It sounded as though the aircraft was running without even having FS started up.

You can hear a pin drop now in the room. My TV set and stereo are now at a normal volume when I'm using them.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hey Bill... Looks great! I would be a little worried about getting in and out of the cockpit with that tower there. Kick splash and then the computer goes Lock up..!! Just kidding but the project does look good!
    Bob Reed

25+ Posting Member

Thumbs up

yeah I just put it there to make sure it would work with the pipes laid out like that. It's quite secure though so no worries. I'm due to start a more permanent bracket soon I hope. I can hardly imagine the damage if a hose pulled off a heatblock.
    My setup:

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wollo View Post
    yeah I just put it there to make sure it would work with the pipes laid out like that. It's quite secure though so no worries. I'm due to start a more permanent bracket soon I hope. I can hardly imagine the damage if a hose pulled off a heatblock.
    OUCH!!! Had not even thought of that!ZZZzzzzZZZaaaaaaPPPPPppppp, poof.... Out goes all the magic smoke!
    Bob Reed

I followed a hack on the internet for my PS1 screen, but I've never gotten it to work correctly. Could you tell my how you have wired yours?

The site I used for the hack is here: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004/07/07/psone_lcd/2

I followed the wiring diagram, tripple checked everything, and the computer won't recognize that it's pluged in, nor will it turn on.

Nice shots on your sim!
    Boeing Skunk Works