Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EL Lighting

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Of course you could avoid any backlighting issues by using panels with integrated backlighting such as the IBL panels produced by FDS. The extra cost for these panels is well justified in my opinion when you consider the extra cost & grief associated with EL sheets.
    But that's just my opinion and I don't work or have any business association with FDS (I'm just a happy customer

Maurice

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by mauriceb View Post
    Of course you could avoid any backlighting issues by using panels with integrated backlighting such as the IBL panels produced by FDS. The extra cost for these panels is well justified in my opinion when you consider the extra cost & grief associated with EL sheets.
    But that's just my opinion and I don't work or have any business association with FDS (I'm just a happy customer

Maurice
    That of course would be nice if FDS made panels for my said Aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by alaxus View Post
    That of course would be nice if FDS made panels for my said Aircraft.
    That is indeed a problem, although new panels are in the works. That is also why I picked a 737 since I wanted fast progress and a 737 seemed like the best choice to me since parts are plentiful.

But anyway, my only point really was to consider all available options and to weigh the pros & cons of the different methods of back-lighting. Sometimes the hidden costs & problems are way more than you anticipate and paying a bit more at the beginning can be the cheapest option at the end (assuming you have a choice of course).

Maurice

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

In some ways I'm fortunate that the 727 was retired by most US domestic airlines. Parts are plentiful for the most part, and relatively cheap as far as real aircraft parts go.

The average control head or module sells for $25 to $100 and it includes the whole thing. Knobs, lights, switches, Dzus fasteners, and the important factory backlit panel.

I don't know what an aftermarket backlit panel costs, but by the time you add the required switches and/or indicators the cost surely climbs up into the real used aircraft part range.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!