Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Encoders and Rotary Switches

Hi,
    Pleased to meet you! This is my first post. The subject of rotary encoders was so intriguing, I thought I might say something!

I caught Clint's rotary encoder query on google actually. At first, I looked at the whole subject and promptly shelved ever using them. And then I built the MJoy16 (two actually!) and went bonkers when everything worked except---you guessed it---the rotary encoders! I thought they were just fancy switches. So I built Jim's design ('jimspage', your neighbor!) but missed the fact he was using it with a special keyboard encoder and was disappointed when it failed to work with MJoy16. Roland (simprojects.nl) to the rescue with the simple advice that an encoder was actually two switches in one, working out of step to give a phase shift.

Fed up with all this and the fact that they are not off-shelf items, cost a lot for what they do, and are cloaked in mystery---I said to **** with it, I'll roll my own. And I did---and turned out 4 designs---and best of all, they all WORK, very well, I might add. With, of course, the MJoy16. Some of the models I made cost practically nothing!

Briefly---first made a rotating PCB model, then one with a cogged actuator (modified toy-car gearbox hacked) moving leaf contacts---then went on to trying microswitches in place of leaf switches----and finally, what I should have done in the first place, and completed today (not yet tested---tonight!!) I used the two 1 pole, 12 way switches Jim had recommended mounted one behind the other on a common driving 'shaft', but offset 15deg to give the 'out-of step' pulsing. Jim gave lots of advice on actually modifying the switches, I just modified to put them in tandem. Big thanks to Jim for the original concept, and Roland for the education. There's more 'education', if you like, in the form of tutorials on the Grayhilll website.

The only disadvantage is that they're all a bit larger than the cute 1/2" models floating around----small price to pay!!

I can send some of the pics to you which makes the whole thing practically self explanatory---or if you think they might be og general interest to others, I'll have to learn to post on the Forum---which I haven't done so far.

Look forward to hearing from you. I clean forgot that I have a 2 DOF generic sim which has been quite neglected because of my 2 month infatuation with rotary switches, encoders, thingummies---take yer pick!! LOL!!

Regards, and nice to meet you,

Erich.
    Last edited by Erich68; 11-04-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: update

2. Thanks sacad, 737Steve thanked for this post

Hi Eric,
    i too built an Mjoy16 (or rather a MegaJoystick, available here: www.rvdijk.nl/pcb.htm).
    And in my case the rotaries work like a charm.
    I make use of the Mjoy Mapper utillity with which you can convert the rotary outputs to keyboard strokes.
    With the registered FSUipc these keystrokes can be programmed to change the radio settings for instance.

Then i went on and installed a rotary 6-position selector switch which controls the function of the rotary encoder. Now i set the selector switch to a certain position and if i operate the encoder, the nav2 radio frequency is changed.

This combined function requires some programming in the FSUipc.ini file, which in turn needs some reading the manual and a lot of trial and error. But once you got it working it is just great.

With this you can overcome the 4 encoder limit of Mjoy.
    For now i have programmed the nav1,2 and com1,2 radios. Still to do are ADF, various autopilot settings etc.
    The encoders i use come with an integrated pushswitch so i use that for swapping the stby/active setting of the radios.
    Also they were quite cheap (approx 1,50 euro each), i got mine here:
    www.voti.nl

As for the need of the Mjoy Mapper Util, it is also possible to change the mode of the Mjoy by use of a jumper. This puts the encoder inputs within the first 32 switch inputs and now show up in the default windows game controller application.
    For me this mode does not work for some reason as it screws up other inputs, hence i use the keyboard mapper.

All in all i am very very very pleased with the Mjoy16!
    That design was way ahead of its time man!
    Also if you like to tinker with soldering iron and electronics, it is just plain fun to put it together!

grtz
    Willem

4. Thanks sacad, Erich68, 737Steve thanked for this post

Hi Clint,

I too was looking (for about a year) for good, cheap rotary encoders for my relatively basic 737NG home build. No one in Aus has the CTS288's offered on every site in the rest of the world. I finally got hold of my 10 x encoders plus grey knobs from Sure Electronics on ebay.com.au (after Ian Scissons posted good things about them on his website (http://www.737ng.co.uk/index.htm). They only cost about $18 AUD including free shipping. I now have the Leo Bodnar BU0836X joystick card ready to go with these. For now, all we can do is order from Opencockpits etc. Someone (with much more capital than I'll ever have) should fill the niche because I'm sure there are more of us out there looking.

Cheers,
    Ian Lane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123