Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Multiple Video Cards Question

Hello - I am currently using an NVIDIA 6800GS AGP card with 2 video outs on FS9. When I enable dual monitor and undock my instruments to the second panel the frame rate drops significantly. I am considering a second video card in an open PCI slot. Can anyone suggest if this will resolve my issue and recommend an NVIDIA PCI card. Does anyone use GA Panels or have a better way? Thanks in advance.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Same thing happened to me. I used to undock the radio stack and move it to another monitor...goodbye frame rate.

Hope some will jump in here to answer your question.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi ddimm,

No the second video card won't really solve your frame rate problem, that's mainly down to your CPU power. Yes undocking windows will lower frame rates, but fine tuning your system can alleviate a lot of this (but not all). I have a fairly low end system by todays standards running an nvidia 6600 256MB AGP along with a 6200 128MB PCI card in order to run two monitors for panels and a Triple Head 2 Go with 3 monitors for outside view. I run the TH2GO out of the AGP card and the two monitors from the PCI. I can get 20 FPS in the air and 10's in detail scenery with 3 windows undocked.

If you're looking for a PCI card, the 6200 is the fastest they made before going AGP, but it doesn't really matter as all the processing is done via your main card, the second one simply hangs off it to give extra video outputs.

If you want to fine tune your system for better frame rates follow these instructions on Avsim. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...sg_id=25&page=

Good luck,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Thanks - I'll give the tweaks a try this evening. My hardware is BFG 6800 GS AGP, 1.5Gig,AMD processor. Is it worth while to set up a second pc and use GA Panels or something similar on a network? On a side note I am happy to say I ended up going back to FS9 (+++ addons) after months of frustrations with FSX not performing and really giving me only marginal improvements on my current hardware.

Boeing 777 Builder

Yes you will definitely get lower frame rates on your system, but you will also benefit greatly from the tweaks. My system is slightly faster than yours at 2Ghz and suffers still. Most certainly FSX will be little more than a slideshow on your system with those specs. You will also benefit from 2Gb of RAM.

As for network panels, you can go down that road and it should take some of the load off your FS PC, however at a cost. Extra PC's for a start and then the software can range from free (FreeFD) to slightly expensive (FSExpand) thru to Project Magenta which will cost you a lot more. I don't have any experience with these but many others here have.

I would look at a PC upgrade in preference and utilize the MS FS panels out of the box. With a good system of today FS9 will fly, in more ways than one, with multi screens and maxed scenery.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Thank you - the tweaks helped. It looks like a 15-20% over all gain without any loss of visual quality. I assume my pc is more CPU bound than graphics bound b/c the traffic slider has the most negative framerate impact. I think I will get an NVIDIA 5200 or 6200 PCI and try running my instruments on it. I can always use the card with the next rig....

Boeing 777 Builder

That's great and a very typical increase with those tweaks. No it's not your PC that's CPU bound it's flight sim itself. It is very CPU intensive, which means that fast and big video cards aren't necessarily essential. And yes traffic is a big framerate killer. On your system I would try and live without it, but if you want it on, go for no more than about 5-10%.

The next big tip is to get yourself a good payware defrag program. I use Ultimate Defrag but there are others such as O&O defrag. However I believe Ultimate Defrag is the only one that will let you place certain programs on the outer edge of your disc, which makes them run much faster. However I'm not sure if it is the only one. One thing is for sure, it will also increase your framerates by about 20%, almost guaranteed!

Have fun,

Ken.

The results with the Nvidia FX5200 PCI card looks promising. Installation and configuration was very easy since both cards are Nvidia based. I am able to maintain 21 fps with the traffic reduced to 25%. I also used a demo copy of Ultimate Defrag and moved all the FS9 files to the outside of the disk platters for better I/O performance. I will return the FX5200 to the computer store and purchase a 6200 version that has 2 video outputs and more memory. I believe there is still a lot of life left in my current rig and FS9...

Just a quick follow up. I installed the eVGA 6200 PCI and had many problems with screen locking and the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. I found several posts pointing to some driver related issues and decided to go back to the FX 5200 PCI. I am not sure if it was related to the combination of the 6800 GS AGP, 6200 PCI and the latest nVidia drivers. I guess I will settle for a single display output for now and get back to enjoying my flight simming.....

Boeing 777 Builder

Hmmmm! I've certainly not experienced any problems with my config using very similar hardware. However we all know the nature of windows and combinations of programs working on a PC. Often if a video driver is suspected, rolling back to a previous version can fix the problem. Basically you should be able to run the two cards as expected, the fact that it causes problems more likely points to incompatibilities with other software. Finding it is the issue! Could be an IRQ conflict? But if it's adversely effecting your simming, give it a miss.

Good luck,

Ken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast