Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote- Gwyn: very nice project! How much space do you use for your cockpit?

The frame is 1.45m square with the screen mounted on the frame and the projector is 3.5m away in front of it. (5.2m x 4.1m room). It's on trolley wheels and can be rolled. It dismantles in 30 minutes for moving, all the major components have multipin plugs. It began life in a 2.1 x 2.2 room with bounce projection from a mirror. It would be ok in a small room using monitors instead of projection.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Ah, this sounds very good...

To be honest, I didn't really consider choosing a Learjet, yet. But studying several phantastic sites documenting impressive craftmanship I suddenly remembered one thing:
    Whenever flying "serious", i.e. PMDG, F4U-4 w/ Manual, DC-6B etc. there was always one point I just wanted to relax and let it go. Imagine what aircrafts I chose then... Piper Cub or the Lear. "Entering" the Cockpit of the LJ 45 is like "coming home" - no confusion, everything is simple, you can concentrate on just flying the bird. The last days I spent reading tons of postings on this forum, and one thing was repeating very often:
    Never forget what you are building. It's just a tool. Everything is meant to be flying high. So don't idolize the tool.

As I've got years to build such things I'll study some more sites about this aircraft and ask stupid questions all day, you've been warned

Further explanation why that plane is close to touchdown:
    Flacon 900EX is a phantastic aircraft, and the glasscockpit is just incredible. But I always thought "Well, it's a big bizjet, yeah. Quite cool, but to be honest, the Citation Bravo looks sexier."
    Citation X is a great piece of software for sure, but it's the same itch like the Falcon: I would have to get used to it (IMHO it looks a bit strange... pregnant with a mustang?). It's not that "yeah baby, I'm comcing home" feeling.

So now I'm curious how that Lear will behave in my stomach when planning bigger things

Cheers

Yoshi

P.S.: I'm going to ask technical questions in appropriate sections from now

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Well, you definately have started off on a quest with the right attitude- it can take years to complete (if ever) and of course it is heavy on the wallet/bank account. The way I see it is that I could do this, or some other hobby that wouldnt teach me nearly as much as this does, or keep me home like it does! (I have to remind my wife of this at times!)

You may want to read my 'FAQ' section on my site- has an interesting section of potential questions from those who wonder why anyone would ever want to build a home flight sim.

Re the sim dimensions, no, my friend. That is the sim's base/foot print. The 8'Lx 7'Wx 6'H is just for the base/shell. Any visual is outside of that UNLESS you go with large LCD screens, which is very doable, but just as, if not a lot more than a projection system. Plus you deal with the bezels on the displays.

A Learjet is an awesome plane in its simplicty, yet airline-style avionics and FMS. Another great thing is a very simple minded point. Back when I was building the 737NG (an airplane I still hope to build one day, if not the 777) people would alway confuse the 737 with the 747 or 757 or something else. People KNOW the Learjet name. It has a legacy like no other. Spend some time listening to those who see a corporate jet that has no idea what actual make/model it is. It's just like when they see a passenger jet- they are all 'jumbo jets'. Well, when they see a corporate jet, they are all 'Learjets'. The cool thing is, the project IS a Learjet, so no confusion ever again from friends and family! (this is a very little thing, but it saves time of correcting them).

The abundunce of info that I have found/created for the LJ45 makes it the perfect plane for me, but not for everyone. And, honestly, I do think I will slightly miss pulling up to the gate at a nicely detailed scenery, or the push back from the gate and seeing it off to my extreme left being projected. BUT, I also cannot afford a 737 sim right now and Im happy to fly into really small airfields that cant support a 737.

Regardless of your decision, you will have fun if you stick to it.

Now Im off to go make a new post about some GoFlight questions...
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12