Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Amazing work and great tutorial Matt! Truly inspirational.

O'Malley

75+ Posting Member

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I have often wondered how you did such nice work. I think this tutorial should be a sticky to make it easier to find. I think anybody building a cockpit shell with a focus on a realistic exterior would find this extremely helpful.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

You mention using 4mm plywood. I am in the US and plywood that thin is difficult to find unless you buy marine or aircraft grade plywood from a distant source.

5.2mm luan plywood is cheap and available here. I guess my question is whether the 4mm spec is that important for a good result. I would guess that the 5.2mm would work too, but I thought I'd ask.

You mention using filler over your second layer of plywood. I was just curious as too what you used for filler. My preference would be to use a high quality auto body filler. It sticks to anything, sands easily and remains somewhat flexible.

If you haven't guessed I am building a 737 cockpit based on your design. At this stage, I have completed much of the framing, but still have the eyebrow windows and nose section to go. I am happy with the results so far.

Thanks for reading my post and thanks again for your helpful tutorial.

300+ Forum Addict

Well I am glad my tutorial can help you

4mm ply is very common material here in Norway and we can buy it in all hardware stores. It is also cheap here. The obstacle you will get if you utilize 5,2 mm is that it would become harder to bend. But you can also adjust this with making thinner ply-strips. Aircraft plywood is even better material to use but also more expensive. If I would have 3mm ply, I think that would be optimal to work with.

I think you should try the 5,2mm. Cut some strips and try to bend around something. If hard to bend, adjust strips until you are satisfied. Pretty sure it will work out.

I used the cheapest filler I could find. Filler for gyproc-panels (If that is what it is called. Dont know the english word, sorry). But you would have a much better result with a filler that is some kind of flexible. Same goes for the paint. Use paint that have an elastic component added. My paint is the hard type, and have cracked some places due to the wood is a living material. But plywood actually dont move alot though.

Just ask if there is anything I can help with And would love to see photos of your progress

4. Thanks orwell84 thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

I have uploaded the tutorial to the file library. Should be available in a while

6. Thanks Geremy Britton, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I will give the 5.2mm a try. I used to live in Canada and they had a better variety of wood products including 1/8" baltic birch which is what I use as interior panels in my 73 VW Westfalia. I have not found them anywhere here in the US except in small sizes.

Gyp-roc I think is a brand name that refers to what we call drywall or sheet rock. In Quebec they call it jeep rock. It sounds like you used spackling compound as filler.

I will post some photos at some point. It is still a bit rough.

BTW, I created the support arcs by drawing them in autocad and finding the radius of the circle that the arc was part of. I then traced them on plywood using a large compass I made. My drawings were based on the autocad drawing widely available on the net. At some point I also converted a photo of the interior of your cockpit into an autocad drawing and scaled it. I was surprised to find that the measurements of the arcs I drew were very close to yours, at least those visible in your photo. I would be happy to share these drawings with you. Sorry to blather on.

Thanks again.

300+ Forum Addict

[quote=orwell84;77173]

Gyp-roc I think is a brand name that refers to what we call drywall or sheet rock. In Quebec they call it jeep rock. It sounds like you used spackling compound as filler.

quote]

Yeah, thats it sir. Fireproof drywall spackling compound as filler. Sure there are better ways to do this. But it was cheap.

Airbus

I think Im gonna fly to Norway just so i can fly in Ivar's Sim lol I drool everytime I look at video or pics of it That thing is a true masterpiece of workmanship and Ivar is without a doubt a mastercraftsman Sorry but it had to be said! But its JMO which im sure is shared with many.

Tim

300+ Forum Addict

Thanks Tim

Welcome anytime. I make coffee and you fly the sim. The best visitors in my sim-room are other builders. All builders are most welcome. Not to many around my area of Norway. Only me and Svein K (ENKB) as far as I know.

So the forums here make it a smaller world for sure

300+ Forum Addict

Magnificent work Ivar as always. That gives a lot of people access to building their own shell that would not have been the case otherwise.
    Congratulations.......................Brian W.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Though mine is not finished on the outside like Ivar's, his is what pushed me to build mine.

Thanks Ivar!
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!