Thread: No autoland

75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

No autoland

I am not able to fly an approach on autoland. Every time I get the message NO AUTOLAND.

At he moment there is no documentation on the PM site (please coorect me if I am wrong) that gives a good explanation on how to use all the software. (there is about installation, setup, but I mean normal standard operating procedures). I still have some older docs from the site on my harddrive, adrressing these issues.

They say , you could intercept with 90-110 degrees when on appr/loc. I inetrcept with 30 degrees the ILS, aboiut 15 miles out. Standard B777 and full PM suite of softwarer, aerosoft 747 mcp.

The docs are saying that you should push AP 2 and 3 to get autoland. But whatever I try, ap1 is lit, but I cannot push the ap2/3. They do not lit up.

I
    I also tried first loc and later on pushing appr, but sometimes it was even not possible to go into apprmode when on loc hold.

know I have used autoland 3 years ago, but I upgraded sw in the meantime and build my hardware, so I am re entering the pm world

Does anybody know of a recent PM manual, describing how to use the sofware? I mean how to fly the plane. The manual about setup and .ini files is clear, I have everything up and running without any problem..

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by npbosch View Post
    I am not able to fly an approach on autoland. Every time I get the message NO AUTOLAND.
    The docs are saying that you should push AP 2 and 3 to get autoland. But whatever I try, ap1 is lit, but I cannot push the ap2/3. They do not lit up.
    I think PM may have improved in realism since you last had autoland working. This is from Jonathan Richardson on this subject (regarding the 737, but I think most things will be the same):

For the avoidance of doubt, the PFD will indicate Single Channel with both CMD engaged, down to 1000ft (or 1500ft [airline option]), then the AP makes a check, if all conditions are met then the Single Channel should go away. The normal conditions have not changed (to my knowledge) and should be for Land 2 / 3 are:

FD’s on
    Both AP’s engaged
    Both Navs to same ILS frequency
    Both QNH set the same
    Approach mode selected
    (in theory but not implemented) CRS inbound ILS course selected.

The main additional needs that you may be missing is for both NAV radios tuned to the ILS, both altimeter BARO settings set, and of course both FDs would be on already, or not? Something else to check.

Regards

Pete

75+ Posting Member

Thanks Pete, setting both navs on the same ILS freq did the trick.
    After that, I was able to select AP 2 and 3 and got an autoland.

75+ Posting Member

Is it the same in real aviation? Do they have to select the ILS receiver on nav 1 and nav2 for a CAT3?

Some ILS approaches do not have a colocated DME. Then you have to get DME info from a nearby (terminal) VOR. But we have only 2 radios.

Should I conclude that in real life only cat3 landings are done on ILS transmitters that have a colocated DME?

For Cat III on most airliners, both NAV receivers need to have the ILS freq tuned.

On the likes of the 737, this is done manually (both tuned), on other airliners, the ILS is auto tuned when the approach is selected in the box, and the systems automatically tune it to both receivers.
    David R
    Durham, England

1979 Mooney M20J Cockpit builder ......

Boeing

From the top of my head for CAT3 autoland on the 767300 three seperate power sources have to be online, ie both Engine driven gens and the APU. Will confirm this when I get home.

James

Boeing

Ok slight correction to my last post, below 1500RH the electrical systems selftest and isolate.The left and right Autopilots power from the Left and Right electrical systems respectively. The Center AP powers from the standby battery system.If a power system fails between 1500RH and 200RH the electrical system reverts to normal operation and you get a change in the ASA. Land 3 becomes No land 3 etc..I think its good practice to have the APU on though if in CAT3 conditions.

Hope this helps

James

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by npbosch View Post
    Is it the same in real aviation? Do they have to select the ILS receiver on nav 1 and nav2 for a CAT3?

Some ILS approaches do not have a colocated DME. Then you have to get DME info from a nearby (terminal) VOR. But we have only 2 radios.

Should I conclude that in real life only cat3 landings are done on ILS transmitters that have a colocated DME?
    That is an interesting point. Since FS is limited to two VHF radios, and if both have to be tuned to the ILS Q if a CATIII autoland is performed, I don't know if that could be done without a co-located DME.

Frankfurt is a good example on 25L.

Of course, since it has the vertical guidance of the GS maybe it's not required. Interesting.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!