Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I have another question

Since flying the PMDG 737 I have really enjoyed the experience of flying this bird but, I still love flying the 747. So the question is:

Is it possible to fly 2 jets in one simpit? Not at the sametime of course. I thinking it can be possible. The 737 and 747 MIPS are almost the same. If you use a GoFlight MCP, its pretty much rigged to work with both jets. If I chose to use a 737 throttle quad, it can be programmed to run the 4 engine setup of a 747. The overhead panel though, maybe a little difficult.

I have envisioned that the simpit would have 2 over head panels. The 747 panel above the captains seat and the 737 panel above the flight officers seat.I had also envisioned that the simpit would significantly be wider than then the traditional cockpit. The overhead panels would some how be on a track that goes from right to left. So essentialy say, you want to fly the 737 but the panel is off to the right and you don't want to reach all the way over there to switch on stuff. So you could push the 747 panel off to the left a little bit so that you can drag over the 737 panel to the middle where an overhand panel would be. (You still with me? lol) Of course there would be alot of wires and stuff. Maybe make it to where if you wanted to fly one of the jets, you can unplug one of the overhead panels and plug in the one your gonna use.

I also thought about maybe instead of 2 panels, just have 1 panel that has all of the knobs switches and what have you one panel. Obviously the panel would pretty much span the length of the cockpit, but now you can fly both jets in one cock pit.

Your thoughts?

25+ Posting Member

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

The other thing you could do is use a generic panel with the best from both aircraft. If I was going to do it I think that is how I would do it..
    Bob Reed

MyCockpit Support Staff

I would suggest sticking to building the 737 because of the ease of getting parts if you choose not to make them. You can always switch aircraft in FS to say the PMDG 747 and use the same controls and panels as you say. You would just have to remap the throttles to work 4 engines. Why do all of that extra work? It's tough enough as it is! I often switch to fly an FA18 fighter for some 'valley bashing' or sometimes the PMDG 1900D turboprop still using the same cockpit, it works good. The cockpit is basically dark when in use for the best quality projection anyway and most of the time you are looking at the Att/nav displays or outside view. My 2 cents worth!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I would suggest sticking to building the 737 because of the ease of getting parts if you choose not to make them. You can always switch aircraft in FS to say the PMDG 747 and use the same controls and panels as you say. You would just have to remap the throttles to work 4 engines. Why do all of that extra work? It's tough enough as it is! I often switch to fly an FA18 fighter for some 'valley bashing' or sometimes the PMDG 1900D turboprop still using the same cockpit, it works good. The cockpit is basically dark when in use for the best quality projection anyway and most of the time you are looking at the Att/nav displays or outside view. My 2 cents worth!

Gwyn
    Good point there. I was just uncertain whether a 737 overhead panel would be compatible with a 747 but it all depends on how you program the switches.

Does anyone know if these diagrams of the 737 overhead are to scale when you click on them?

http://www.artietheairplane.com/737_panels/737_main.htm

MyCockpit Support Staff

Looks right to me...

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go

Cool thats what I was hoping. So essentially I could go ahead and use the templates and get the appropiate holes cut without having to order all of the switches and knobs and stuff.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Boeing

Hi Lee,

My bitmaps for making a 737 overhead will be available on CD shortly if you can hang on for a while. You will be able to get the individual panel bitmaps printed on waterproof sticker paper and apply them direct to your O/H panel. These are the same bitmaps as used in my latest O/H pics. They make the FWD O/H about 650mm (25 1/2") square which must be pretty close to the original size.

Gwyn

Another question again

What would be the "smart" thing to do? Build a 2 seater 737 sim or a 1 seater sim.

I'd like to go for a 2 seater just because they look really cool but then I would only be the one flying the thing. I don't believe anyone around my neck of the woods is interested in flight simming because the main form of entertainment in my small town is bars and drugs lol.

A 1 seater looks more appealing because its smaller and less monitor setup.

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast