Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Various Views with 1 pc and a 2 head video card?

Hi guys

Right now, just for kicks, I have two 17" CRTs displaying identical views from the 2 head card on my FS server sitting on my MIP stand for the forward view until I can get a projector.

I was wondering, is there a way to effectively stretch the forward view across both CRTs for a wider view? I think I tried it a few weeks ago but had problems (maybe the two 17"CRTs have different max resolutions?)

I also was wondering if I could have it setup with 1 CRT showing forward and the other CRT showing either the left or right view.

Thanks for any suggestions, I was just curious what is possible till I get the projector(s).
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Thumbs up

If you don't want to loose a lot of frame rates, buy a Matrox Duel head to go

Thanks, that's okay. I dont mind the 2 exact same views, as they work quite well for now till I buy a TrippleHead2Go and the projectors. A dual head would be a waste of money, but thanks none the less!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Eric

If you go into the Control panel -> Display -> Settings, there should be a Display dropdown that would show the 2 monitors as a selection. One of them would be your Default or Primary display and if you select the 2nd monitor, there should be a checkbox below "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". Check that checkbox and it should do it for you.

Regards,
    Henry

Tired something similar.

I found a four head card at a rummage sale, I tried it with four monitors. It was not 3D, so MSFS only ran in "software mode" whatever that is. Anyway when I tried to "stretch it out" acroos the four displays it only went so far and displayed a black bar on the far right side of the displayed view. Okay now this: I believe that you would have to have your video card set up to display a different view for each monitor, i.e. NOT cloned. Then after firing up MSFS use your front screen for your windscreen view and choose "views" on your top MSFS "toolbar" , select "New View", choose the view you want like VC then pan your VC to show which side you want.when the window pops up on your main view, right click it and choose "un-dock view" then use your mouse to drag it over to your side screen then drag the corners to make it the size you want. Now save this flight or "situation" as some call it and the next time you open this flight/situation everything should be there for you. I'm guessing this only works for that aircraft in that situation. I myself like to fly all the 'heavies' so I sat down one night and configured each plane this way to have the views I wanted. Check out my images at mycockpit.org and you will see. For my sim, I do not use the dual view option for a second "windscreen" view, but rather for other instruments/avionics. MSFS feeds into my video card, the primary out goes to a VGA splitter with one line going to a projector, while the other line from the splitter goes to a monitor set outside and to the left of my 'pit, so I can navigate my desktop easier or "fly" without my projector whilst I toil away in my "laboratory' saving electricity and precious bulb life. The second out from my video card is "DVI" which I plugeed a vga adapter into, this line goes to a monitor that sits where the TQ would normally be, on this I display; (depending on aircraft) GPS, payware FMS/CDU, TQ, Squawk Box 3 "transponder" (for VATSIM), SA_WXR from Reality XP, and the moving map from FS NAvigator, all this fits neatly onto a 19" LCD monitor. There you go a long answer to a short question. I have heard that this will eat your frame rate, but both my sims are on low performing systems so I am used to 30 FPS. Good Luck P.S. If I am not procedurally correct, please feel free to correct me to help him out.

[QUOTE=ak49er;43552]... For my sim, I do not use the dual view option for a second "windscreen" view, but rather for other instruments/avionics. MSFS feeds into my video card, the primary out goes to a VGA splitter with one line going to a projector, while the other line from the splitter goes to a monitor set outside and to the left of my 'pit, so I can navigate my desktop easier or "fly" without my projector whilst I toil away in my "laboratory' saving electricity and precious bulb life. The second out from my video card is "DVI" which I plugeed a vga adapter into, this line goes to a monitor that sits where the TQ would normally be, on this I display; (depending on aircraft) GPS, payware FMS/CDU, TQ, Squawk Box 3 "transponder" (for VATSIM), SA_WXR from Reality XP, and the moving map from FS NAvigator, all this fits neatly onto a 19" LCD monitor...QUOTE]

Hey, that was a great reply. I too plan to do exactly as you say in regards to having the video split off of the FS server. 1 output to a TH2Go and another to an Instructor's station monitor. Another good thing about this setup is that it allows you to fly your full sim when you want to, but you can try different aircraft like small GA or helos or whatever from the instructor's station when not flying the big sim, just for fun. DAL900 was talking about the LVL D 767- That's a great package that Id like to try again one day when I get a better machine, along with tons of other aircraft besides the Learjet sim.

Back to the question, I guess I was just wanting to know if I could have two different views or a big strectched view without any additional hardware at this time. I use the two identical forward views on the two 17" CRTs simply to allow each person to have a direct forward view since I currently dont have a projector yet.

Okay, so what payware FMS/CDU are you using? I really wish there was somthing out there that I could buy besides the PM version.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I can not respondproperly right now because I am not athome, but, yes you can have a "stretched" view over 2 screens. I have 1 video card, 2 outputs 2 42" screens 1 view. If you look at my pics that is how I am setup.
    Bob Reed

Fmc/cdu

I am at work now, I fly home tonight (Piper Navajo PABG-PANC), when I get home I will get the name, I think it is Friendly Panels FMC? It works fine for what it costs, I need to use it more though, I find myself relying on FS NAV too much. I have not used it much since purchasing, I have involved myself in another project. It is related to the FAA CAPSTONE Program, this is really exciting stuff, I'll explain it in a new post later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    I can not respondproperly right now because I am not athome, but, yes you can have a "stretched" view over 2 screens. I have 1 video card, 2 outputs 2 42" screens 1 view. If you look at my pics that is how I am setup.

Is it a nvidia based gfx? I tried with an Ati but no luck. It's okay to stretch the desktop but fs refuse to stretch.
    Regards Anders Eriksson

www.simcockpit.se

FS9

ak49er,

I took a look at the Friendly Panels FMC. Seems like it would be a great way to go, but it's not networkable from what I can see.

To all:

How bad would frame rates get if I placed the FMC on one monitor along with the ATC window, and had the outside view on the other output of the one video card?

Even better, how well would this work if I had (in the future) a TripleHead2Go on one output, and a touchscreen monitor for the FMC/EFB/ATC Window on the 2nd output?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast