Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Spitfire Fighter Recon Project

The opportunity to get hold of a replica spade grip of airworthy quality and a gunsight convinced me to begin building after a long hold off.

The Realair Spitfire for FSX (now including a Mk IX ) was the "nail in the coffin". It is a beautiful aircraft and handles very well, as close to the original as possible if the review by a Spitfire pilot and my knowledge of the aircraft are anything to go by.

Unfortunately, although it rapidly overheats if you mistreat the engine in the air, there is no penalty for sitting on the tarmac ticking over for an extended time, no matter what the OAT is at ground level. Oh well, you can't have everything I guess.

Pictures of the collection so far (not much) here:

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...00&ppuser=3947
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Good luck with the project, Tony.

I have a similar plan sitting on paper at the moment, but some advanced ideas on construction and visuals in my head

Maybe I will give some time to it after my house move in the summer.
    Please keep us updated with your progress
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

3. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEMB View Post
    Good luck with the project, Tony.

I have a similar plan sitting on paper at the moment, but some advanced ideas on construction and visuals in my head

Maybe I will give some time to it after my house move in the summer.
    Please keep us updated with your progress

Good luck with the move!

It will be good to have another Spitfire being built, we can trade ideas and plans.
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

Nice I like it. I'm going to build the a Lancaster sim when I'm done working for the summer. I've got the preliminary drawings done. I'm going to have both the pilot and bomb aimer positions running on two computers so I can multicrew in Battleground Europe.

6. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Finally! someone else who is making a spitfire! yaaay!
    Oh yeah, guys, my Spitfire is really coming on nicely, I'll make sure to upload some pictures when its done.

Hey, Tony Hill, depending on how much you are willing to spend on this, theres a nice Spitfire seat with all mechanism on ebay for £1000

8. Thanks Tony Hill thanked for this post

Thanks Gentlemen,

The spade grip and gunsight arrived today at last, despite Oz post's best efforts (WHY does it take longer to get stuff from eastern Australia than from Canada?)

The gunsight has a crisp clear reflector image and the sighting rings still alter the size for wingspan and range!!

Very happy with them.

Even happier to meet Gwyn on Sunday and see his 737. It is amazing and his hospitality was great.

I can't wait to see the Aerosim solution to my control column, throttle quadrant and maybe even rudders. Thanks Gwyn, once again.

More soon,
    "Tony"

Smile Update on Spitfire IX

Well, I have not got much to show for it but have actually done quite a bit of planning and sorting out. The F-16 is almost finished and that gives me more time for the Spitty.

I have not been able to catch up with Gwyn, so the controls are not done yet but I have a "no problems" assessment from him on making them functional.

Recent acqusitions...the Sutton is "period" and I am wrapped!!!
    The release functions perfectly.

I picked up three of these...spare lights which sit high on the right side of the cockpit.

Gunsight Dimmer Switch.

I have also found that Flight Illusion have done a few more "antique" gauges and some Spitfire specific. I am about to go to the War Office for funds. Not sure how THAT will go as the gauges alone are worth more than my total budget for the sim!! (and which I have already spent in full on controls and gunsight.)

Well, she should'nt 'av joined if she couldn't take a joke
    "Tony"

Hi Tony,

I also love the old birds, I am looking forward to viewing your progress with your spitfire project. What main software are you going to use ? is it FSX, 2004, IL-2 ? or combat simulator ?

My favourite is the HE-111 Bomber used in WWII, My grandfather used to fly these during that time.

Padraig,

Mainly FSX with RealAir's MkIX / MkXIV. I will look into IL2 down the track.

I have a plan to slightly modify the layout to include a small Collins type Com radio next to the gunsight and have a lift off plate on the left with a fake clock and Triple Brake gauge. Under that panel will be, eventually, a VOR, and ADF with corrosponding Collins radios on the right cockpit wall where the Remote Contactor and Morse Key would have been.

Whilst not "scale" this will allow me to use the pit for GA as well. I want a GA pit but already have the F-16 and only have room for one more pit!!!!!

The NAV stuff will be last priority though as my immediate dream is to fly some mock PRU missions with "dead reckoning" navigation.
    The challenge of that and fuel management, in bad weather, in a fast prop is something to really look forward to.

Always loved the Heinkel. Looked like it meant business.
    "Tony"

Sounds like you have it all planned out, please keep me updated on your progress, I am very eager to see it come to reality.

As in IL-2, It would be great also, if you could just switch between the two, (FSX / IL-2 Compatibility) FSX for what you were talking about, and then Il-2 for some online action !!

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
    Padraig,

Mainly FSX with RealAir's MkIX / MkXIV. I will look into IL2 down the track.

I have a plan to slightly modify the layout to include a small Collins type Com radio next to the gunsight and have a lift off plate on the left with a fake clock and Triple Brake gauge. Under that panel will be, eventually, a VOR, and ADF with corrosponding Collins radios on the right cockpit wall where the Remote Contactor and Morse Key would have been.

Whilst not "scale" this will allow me to use the pit for GA as well. I want a GA pit but already have the F-16 and only have room for one more pit!!!!!

The NAV stuff will be last priority though as my immediate dream is to fly some mock PRU missions with "dead reckoning" navigation.
    The challenge of that and fuel management, in bad weather, in a fast prop is something to really look forward to.

Always loved the Heinkel. Looked like it meant business.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast