Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

On/Off switch with led

Hello,

Totally novice on electronics but with 15+ well known cards on my desk and I can't figure out how to do the simplest thing. To activate a led when x button is On and turn led off when button switches off.

Can someone help me?

Thank you
    Maria

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Hi Maria

Can you give the names of the in/out card and software that you are trying to use it with? Also, what simulator, and do you have FSUIPC? Also, what type of function are you trying to control, and what type of function do you want to cause an LED to light up when the button is pressed?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Hi Maria

Can you give the names of the in/out card and software that you are trying to use it with? Also, what simulator, and do you have FSUIPC? Also, what type of function are you trying to control, and what type of function do you want to cause an LED to light up when the button is pressed?

Thank you I've ALL the cards from OpenCockpits, the same from DesktopAviator and yes, I've the register version of FSUIPC. I'm using FSX.

What I want to do is simple. I want to assign keystrokes to switches. But for the keystrokes that are On/Off type I want to turn On/Off a led.

Thank you again.
    Maria

I Maria,

Nice to see woman are taking up with cockpit building. As to your problem, If you have a Flight Illusion I/O module, you can do exactly what you want. the card has 48 inputs (can be switches, microswitch, etc) and 36 outputs (LEDs) as well as 8 analogue inputs.
    The software allows to triggger a switch and according to the position of the function in FS assign a LEd on/off
    For more information visit this link: http://www.flightillusion.com/iomodule.htm

hope this helps

Simbuff

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

I wish more would get into this hobby. I don't understand why more women don't take an interest in airplanes and mechanical things.

Hey, I sew, I can cook, and raised a son. Wouldn't hurt for women to be interested in things that are usually 'guy territory'

My second flight instructor was a woman. Took me through commercial and instrument. She went on to fly 727's for TWA before they were bought out.

She was so different from my Private Instructor and so good at transfering useable information. It made the learning process and understanding the concepts so much easier.

I'll never forget her. God Bless you Lisa Yokum, where ever you are now.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Well Maria, I can't help you with the OC cards, but what I think I am best to offer you is this advice.

Don't aim your expectations to low.

If you wanted to use keystrokes you could have done it much cheaper then with the oc cards.

Why not use the oc cards the way they should be used.

Once you have the sioc code installed (others in this forum can help you through this part) You use the software to say put up the landing gear or put down the landing gear.

You can use that by keypress if you want, but you may as well use it to command the gear through fsuipc seen as you have it.

Then you would use SIOC to read the position of the landing gear and provide an LED to indicate its position.

Like I said others in this forum can help you with the SIOC programming, but I just thought I would help you understand the concept behind the in/out cards.

You can use them more efficiently by abandoning the whole keystroke idea.

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by MicroHellas View Post
    Thank you I've ALL the cards from OpenCockpits, the same from DesktopAviator and yes, I've the register version of FSUIPC. I'm using FSX.

What I want to do is simple. I want to assign keystrokes to switches. But for the keystrokes that are On/Off type I want to turn On/Off a led.

Thank you again.
    Maria

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    Well Maria, I can't help you with the OC cards, but what I think I am best to offer you is this advice.

Don't aim your expectations to low.

If you wanted to use keystrokes you could have done it much cheaper then with the oc cards.

Why not use the oc cards the way they should be used.

Once you have the sioc code installed (others in this forum can help you through this part) You use the software to say put up the landing gear or put down the landing gear.

You can use that by keypress if you want, but you may as well use it to command the gear through fsuipc seen as you have it.

Then you would use SIOC to read the position of the landing gear and provide an LED to indicate its position.

Like I said others in this forum can help you with the SIOC programming, but I just thought I would help you understand the concept behind the in/out cards.

You can use them more efficiently by abandoning the whole keystroke idea.

Trev
    I'm fortunate that my simulator has to use real equipment since no reproductiona are available. All of the switches on Boeing panels I've bought have multiple poles that I can control both indicator lamps and the function through the Hagstrom card I use.

If you buy multiple pole switches for your sim Maria, you can do the same. One leg of the switch will control the indicator lamp on a voltage circuit for the indicator, the other leg of the switch will control signal to the board for input.

This is a primitive way of wiring a cockpit but you get the same indications whether the old way or the new way with input and output cards.

The only difference is that the cards will incorporate the logic in some cases that will sequence indicators like landing gear indicators and flap indicators.

For common indicators such as pitot heat, anti-ice, yaw dampers, engine start (depending on your aircraft), stall warning, etc, etc, a two pole switch and the Hagstrom card works fine.

I'm working with DC aircraft voltages, your requirement is much lower for L.E.D.'s and resistors would have to be used. Mostly a headache for me as I wanted something simple and straightforward using real aircraft equipment.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!