Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile New Learjet on approach

Hi everyone

I have been lurking on the site for ages researching information about how to build my sim. Like most people on this site I started siming with 98 then 2000, I misses 2002 for some reason and ended up with 2004, I haven’t tried X yet.
    My aircraft of choice is the Learjet 45 and now I finally have enough built to share it with everyone. As with most people money is short and siming can be expensive so I have built mine so far without buying any commercial parts or expensive software.

The heart of the sim is one home built pc AMD 6000 with two 8600 graphics cards giving me three monitor outputs and one for a projector. The software is FS2004 with Reality XP jetline 4 gauges.

I have modified the aircraft config file to give me Captain and FO PFD and ND in the right places with RTU and standby gauges in the middle. I need to figure out how to make pop up gauges to make them interchangeable, but for the moment both have PFD with captain having the ND and FO the ECAS.
    Building the shell, seats and the MIP was not difficult as I have most things that you would need to work with wood, but it is time consuming. I built the MIP as a desk top sim first, this let me figure out most of the software and interfacing first , I then the pedestal and throttles.

I have a set of FDT boards that operate the gear lights and light switches so far and I use the fantastic BU0836X from Leo Bodnar (http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/) to control many of the other inputs. Most functions in Reality XP works with key strokes so I just set them up with FSUIPC.

I must however say thank you to so many people on the site, without them sharing information building my sim even to an early stage would not have been possible.
    First of all Mr learjet Eric Tomlin, your files on the shell and MIP have been a great help in given me the all the sizes I needed. I managed to get your auto cad file printed full size to use as a template with a slight modification due to the size on my monitors. Elekwind who sent me some coreldraw files to make the panels (work in progress)Per Alm for your air file which has made the FS2004 learjet much more flyable.
    I have also just purchased two dual rotary encoders thanks to John at http://www.boeing737ng.co.uk/ which I will use for the RTUs.
    At the moment I am using the CH yoke and rudder pedals, but a dual yoke system will be next on the `to do` list, Westoz, thank you in advance.
    There is still a lot of work to be done and much fun ahead. I wanted to build a two seat cockpit to share with my son Gavin, but he is to busy with his internet radio station. Please take a moment to visit his web site at www.centralscotlandradio.co.uk I may just get to have some pages on his web site for my sim. My wife thinks I am mad, but she has to put up with a flightsim in my workshop and a radio station in Gavins bedroom.
    I have attached some pictures of my sim sofar. The homebuilt (with a goflight RMK) 737 style MCP will go when I sort out the pannel.

Douglas
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post

Thumbs up

Douglas,

Looks great to me!

Cheers
    Mike

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Douglas,

Thanks for your kind words. Your project is really taking off and Im glad to see that you've found a way to have a fun project on a tight budget. I too had/have the same issue and slowly but surely my project is growing by leaps and bounds now.

Be advised that the actual size is a bit bigger than what's posted in the files I put in the d/l library here since at the time there were some scaling issues that I was unaware of. The nose is approximate too, but at least it gives an idea.

The Innovative FSP products that we have for the LJ45 are 100% accurate, and was built over many months and hundreds, if not thousands of hours of research and development. Maybe one day you can invest in the LJ45 parts from Innovative, as they are spot-on.

Please keep us all updated about your project, it's exciting to see other's find pleasure in such a great little business jet!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

Welcome aboard

Hello and welcome to the Learjet family.

Nice pictures. You have done a whole lot. I'm looking forward to see more pictures.

Thank you for your kind words on the airfile. It truly makes me happy that someone can use it and enjoy the new flight dynamics for the Learjet 45.

If you have a homepage you are very welcome to send me the adress so that my friend Lars can add it to out list of links.

Best Regards

Per Alm

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Per Alm, dispite working with computers on the sim, I still havent worked out how to setup a small website on my free space, but I think I will have a go having looked at everyones smart web sites.

Eric, by chance I have built the MIP a bit wider to accomodate my center monitor which has been rotated 90 degrees. I also made the windows a bit shorter than the real 45 as there is now way I will get 180 degree visuals. Although my sim is based on a learjet it will close to scale but not 100% acurate, there will be some variations to make a workable sim.

Hi Mke thanks for the reply, I hope the weather is better in down you way its strickly IFR up here tonight.

Cheers

Douglas

Great work so far!!
    Nice to have another corporate builder around Best luck with building and keep shooting the pics it keep us motivated.
    rgds,

Adino,

Hi, and welcome.

It's really nice to see another Lear builder out there. You've made some really great progress.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Welcome to the site.

That looks really nice. I'll bet it's a ball flying it.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!