Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by warvet View Post
    AWWWWW Joe wheres my " Tim your a definite Pain in the A$$ Man ! lol

Tim
    A340
    Tim you know I love you like a brother!(click on image to see full detail)

Please don't kick my arss?

True Friend,
    Joe

Airbus

LOL @ Joe Too funny thx bro.

Tim
    A340
    Canada

25+ Posting Member Lewis Simmons's Avatar

I lit them up this morning and they look amazing. If I can get the right LED colour, it should be perfect.
    Many Thanks,
    Lewis Simmons

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Folks... Lets get back on topic here..... Take the rest of this banter to the lounge!
    Bob Reed

150+ Forum Groupie

Ladies and germs, here's my thought on the matter:

If anybody - no matter how old or young they are - wants to build a sim, I'll help out as far as my knowledge goes. But I do not want to spend a lot of time on people that talks rather than do. Do not ask me intricate questions about how's and why's if you're not actually building something!
    Why do I say that? Because I've been doing this hobby for some years now, and I am just getting warmed up in the building process! And if I have learned one thing, it would be that you do not waste time thinking and looking for specific answers BEFORE you've got the actual items in your own sweaty paws! The reason is very simple: Things are not as they appear. Products do change, every sim is different built and we all have different approaches and knowledge. For instance, there would be no reason for me to purchase a lot of dingies and doo-hickeys before I know what I'll actually need. I did that a couple of times, and have wasted a lot of money that way.

Another thing that I find annoying is threads like this. Going out boldly and stating that you're going to build 4 sims - I don't care how old you are or how much money you have; Building one sim takes HUGE amounts of time, money and effort! Even if you buy finished products from the different companies. Being a normal guy with a normal job and a slightly over normal salary, I must save up money to buy stuff. The next months I will buy 2 LCD monitors for my MIP, and some MDF to build a base for it. And then I don't have more money for my sim that month.

But here's the encouragement to the thread starter: Once you have ONE sim built, building the next one will be a LOT easier. Because you know what you're doing, what not to do and how to plan the process.

Get ONE sim up and running, then you can go crazy and build three more!

Can't wait to see the panels up and running! Posting images of a few panels is simple, now do the rest.

Can't help quoting Yoda here:
    "Do, or do not. There is no try"

Keep that advice in your head, and you'll do wonderful things. Not just in the simulator world, but in the "other" world as well. Good luck!

PS: People, remember that we all were young, bold and unrealistic once. Looking at this thread, I can't help but thinking: "Boy do I miss being that enthustiastic and naive!" And in a great sense, we as simbuilders should not forget that we're just a bunch of grown kids! Why else spend so much money on something that can't be classified as anything else than a huge toy!
    Being a grown-up kiddo is great though! Because we CAN buy the toys we want, and we can "get some" from the flight attendant as well!!! See where I'm going with this?

150+ Forum Groupie

Lewis, look for "wam white" LED's. Should do a nice job. If not, you could paint the LED's with transparent paint used in model cars. I used an orange paint from TAMIYA. Water based, so you can wipe it off should you mess it up. A thin coat of that paint (can be thinned with water), and you'll get a nice orange-looking light. Which is about the right color. Real lightplates uses bulbs (tungsten?).

Airbus

VIDAR! lol
    There is nothing normal about you at all stop trying to fool these nice people, I've known you for years and you've never been normal LOL As for the YODA, yes you do have a striking resemblance to him LOL Irts ok you know I love ya my Norse friend..All hail the Vikings ..Vidar's new name...VIDAR THE WISE SIM BUILDER LMAO

Your Friend always

Tim
    A340
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by vidarf View Post
    Being a normal guy with a normal job and a slightly over normal salary, I must save up money to buy stuff.
    Can't help quoting Yoda here:
    "Do, or do not. There is no try"

Hey Lewis,

I am glad you like your panels, you know how much of a struggle those where, i will try and email you some sketches ive done of the 787 to help you along.

With lighting them Vidar is totally correct, the tamya paint is ideal, i just add a bit more red in there, your panels are drilled for the LED map using 3mm LED's that should not get in the way of any switches, displays and encoders, mix some of this paint and simply dip the LED's in there then insert into the back of the panel and let them cure, thew will hold themselves in there nice and tight so no need for additional glue, if you do nuke the led's by accident and need to replace place one finger on either side of the led and pull using a small pair of pliers, they will pop out, the panel itself will take a lot of abuse. Try and use the warm white led's (i think i sent you some) using pure white led's will give you a slight purple tint to the glow because of there blue content, however playing with transparent paints you can overcome this.

Lewis, My only advice to you would be throw all your enthusiasm into one aircraft type before moving onto the next, get it to flying stage before reaserching another, Yes I am mad wanting to build two and i know if I attack both now in 4 years i will just end up with a pile of parts and no sim, so.. doing the 74 first and sticking with that with only a few bits of 76 in there when i get bored, after 4 years i will have a full flying fixed base 747 sim and enough parts to start building a 767 that will probably only take 1 year to complete because of my own experiance building the 747.

But like a have said to you before, you need help you know where I am.

But most of all Lewis, enjoy the ride

Phil

9. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Nicely said Phil, and Lewis you can certainly count on most of us to provide the help you may need in your flight-sim building adventure. That's what MyCockpit.org is all about

Matt Olieman

Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Yup Lewis most of us will be there for all your triumphs and falls.

We will all get there together

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast