Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Basic questions from newbie about software

Quote Originally Posted by Vonduck View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for chipping in.... a couple questions in my journey if i may...

The thought of 2 PC's i must admit scares me... i have not the foggiest how to link them together to achieve one for instruments and one for P3D.. any ideas? Where to look? I have one powerful PC at the moment but could easily assemble a lesser version if need be?
    The connection between two PCs for FMGS is VERY simple. That is the easy part. I am having an issue with offloading VATSIMs new client to my laptop for P3D, but Im sure I will manage when I put some time aside for it.

I do fly online on Vatsim which is the ultimate goal...

Where do you get the PnP boards form and is it hard to assembly and connect them? I am not much of an electronic whizz sadly so this i must admit scares me too! The cost factor is welcomed and i like the suggestion but doubt my ability to pull it off ...
    Until now I have only purchased the two panels, but talked with a number of people so I am sure the DIY solution with todays interface boards is manageble. You need to decide if you will do the solding of the panels yourself or not. I see that when you purchase panels separately with each their own USB PnP interface - THAT is where things become expensive.

I am very interested in the OH projector... does this give you a wrap around effect or a massive in fornt image? The immersion sounds ideal though... life size!
    I have one front facing OH projector projecting an image of 100". Sitting 115 cm away it generates 85 deg wide screen, which is very nice. Of course a warp around would be better, but space (am in an appartment) and budget permitting this works, and has a low enough WAF factor.

I enjoyed the YouTube clip - thanks for sharing and would be interested in you comment on the FCU when it arrives and how it operates...Sure will

What Airbus do you use when flying?
    I use the stock A320-214. Have previously flown the A321 alot but decided I want to learn Jean Lucs setup in depth.J Just spent my holiday READING the FCOM volume 1, 2, 3, 4 and a couple of instructor documents from Airbus I found online.

Thanks Stephen
    Any time Doug
    Hi Responses above in Bold.

/Stephen
    Cheers Stephen
    P3Dv4 Prof, FMGS A320, 1080p OH for ext. & 1080p 24" for int., TM Warthog, VATSIM (vPilot)

A couple of additions top down points:
    - Your sim will develop over a looong time.
    - Therefore KEEP IT FLYABLE
    - Your idea of where to develop the sim WILL change along the way
    - IT will most probably always be a compromise (time, space)
    - There are no overly complex issues by them selves.
    - There are however a LARGE number of items that has to work together. (new versions of software, new panels, Weather, VATSIM, Flight planning, Scenery, textures and Windows)
    - Decide early what is most important for you to fly (one aircraft as A320, or a large variity of aircraft). This will influence your panel setup and purchase. I would love to fly the Phenom 100 and the Twin Otter, as well as the A2A Cherokee, but for now I decided to focus on the A320-214 with JH package.
    - I find the proportions are important for my realism and this I get right with my setup. An example of this is the outside view and judging distances and angles. A lot of people post videos with very wide views which are skewed and where the proportions (in my view) makes precise flying difficult. (Eg. If you fly with a Field of View (FoV) of the double of what you actually have just to have a virtual cockpit, then a pitch change of 1 deg, will only result in a view pitch change of 0.5 deg.)

THAT was just my personal advice, and others may differ
    Cheers Stephen
    P3Dv4 Prof, FMGS A320, 1080p OH for ext. & 1080p 24" for int., TM Warthog, VATSIM (vPilot)

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

What zoom factor do you use Stephen? I am on 1.0x, and this works well when trying to land.

25+ Posting Member

Hey everybody,

yes it works perfectly with Skalarki. I have a complete setup from him except selfmade Wrapscreen:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28025

Regards Henrik

I dont use zoom factors. I have set up my FoV precisely. As my projector is tilted and corrected via Keystone, I needed to adjust the FoV separately for Hoz and Vert. with my eye-to-screen distance I have a 85 deg H view.
    Cheers Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by SSO View Post
    I dont use zoom factors. I have set up my FoV precisely. As my projector is tilted and corrected via Keystone, I needed to adjust the FoV separately for Hoz and Vert. with my eye-to-screen distance I have a 85 deg H view.
    P3D/FSX has a default zoom setting -- 1.0? If you use your +/- key it tells you what it is regardless of your vertical and horizontal size.

7. Dislikes SSO disliked this post

Yeah, it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense, as the FOV is more precisely set through the aircraft.cfg and is separate for Hoz and Vert.
    It shows as 0.63.
    Cheers Stephen

75+ Posting Member

Hi guys,

Been making progress as are now getting my MIP custom made (to scale) by the panel shop not far form here... should save a pretty penny!

I have been following some threads and i know Skalarki is mentioned as the hardware to get but i have been looking at a thread that seems to indicate Cockpitsonic also works ok with revised drivers etc...

Reason i mention this is the cost... Skalarki for the FCU and 2 x EFIS is $1649.00NZD and cockpitsonic is $775.00NZD for the same thing...

Some things are cheaper from Skalarki like the MCDU, Gear lever and Glarewings...

Is cockpitsonic THAT bad or is it just unreliable service? Also, can we mix and match hardware or will this cause unnecessary issues?

Just trying to keep costs down as best as i can

Thanks guys

Doug
    Last edited by Vonduck; 07-14-2014 at 02:42 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Hi guys,

Been making progress as are now getting my MIP custom made (to scale) by the panel shop not far form here... should save a pretty penny!

I have been following some threads and i know Skalarki is mentioned as the hardware to get but i have been looking at a thread that seems to indicate Cockpitsonic also works ok with revised drivers etc...

Reason i mention this is the cost... Skalarki for the FCU and 2 x EFIS is $1649.00NZD and cockpitsonic is $775.00NZD for the same thing...

Some things are cheaper from Skalarki like the MCDU, Gear lever and Glarewings...

Is cockpitsonic THAT bad or is it just unreliable service? Also, can we mix and match hardware or will this cause unnecessary issues?

Thanks guys

Doug
    I now have the following two modules:
    - CockpitSonic RMP
    - Skalarki FCU+CPT EFIS

No doubt that the Skalarki feels much better. Its actually a GREAT quality and feel to it. I am very impressed already before connecting it...
    The buttons of the CockpitSonic are sort of minisliding in their seating (its the actual push button, not their build), which gives it a cheaper feel. But it does the job it was made to do, and the Radio works fine with FMGS and the Project Airbus as well as VATSIM.

/Stephen
    Cheers Stephen

Hi guys,

Thanks guys

Doug
    Not too sure where you got that price for cockpitsonic from -- http://cockpitsonic.org/shop/fcu-usb/

Which plans are you using to build the panels?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast