Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

HELP ! HELP ! HELP !

I put the following mail in General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types, got 85 views but I am afraid not one reply. I realize now I put it in the wrong forum, should have been here. I know you guys will give me some help ! !

I have a generic cockpit, which I have built over the years but I am afraid that I have run into a problem when I updated to Windows 7 (64). Up to now I have used a TRC Multicontroller board and two TRC Controller Boards to feed TRC Gauges and provide info for O/Head panels. All of these I have had to remove due to none compatibility between my new OS and TRC. I have replaced them by using three of Leo Bodnor’s BU0836X Universal Joystick Controllers in conjunction with FSUIPC4 and using a further three monitors and turning more to software than hardware.

My problem is that in my older cockpit I had a small O/Head panel which I used for aircraft lights and warning lights which was fed from one of the TRC boards which was programmed with built in offsets which included Out Marker ,Mid Marker , In Marker, Overspeed, Doors Open, Stall, Gear Busy, Gear Up, Gear Down, Nose Wheel on Ground, Left Wheel on Ground, Right Wheel on Ground, Low Fuel and Low RPM. I have no problem with the aircraft lights as I have provided these through FSUIPC4 and the BU0836X’s with the use of buttons, switches and rotary encoders.

Now I looking for a replacement output/display control board preferably with offsets included (same as the TRC board) but are compatible with my Windows 7 (64) OS. The only item that I have not replaced in my cockpit at this stage is this small O/Head with about nine warning lights as outlined above, nothing else.

If it is not possible to have the offsets available directly off the board I believe that it would be possible to use the offsets which are in FSUIPC through Lua Plug-Ins . However this would involve writing Lua files which I know nothing about. I also know very little concerning which board would be the most appropriate to carry out the functions that I want.

I would be most grateful for any guidance in this area.

To put it in a nutshell. I want to buy an I/O card that has some offsets preset and contains the software to communicate with FSX. This card will only be used to feed an O/Head panel containing warning lights. My knowledge of useing I/O cards is very limited and I would be most grateful if someone from the site could advise me as to the best way to achieve this.

My sincere thanks in anticipation

300+ Forum Addict

Re: HELP ! HELP ! HELP !

There is only one lot of cards that I would recommend and they are:
    http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/c.../interface-it/

Regards................Brian W.

THAT is just a ...bad... answer Brian.

Sorry I do not know anything about you TRC boards,
    I've been into the building sceene for about 5 years, and actually, I havent even heard of the brand.

There is a lot of good solutions out there, and those thinking that FDS is the one and only should start reading up.
    In my sim I have many different cards, and they are easy to set up and have been stable across xp and win7. Besides the opencockpits cards, no programming is needed.
    Present is: OC, LoeBodnar, Phidgets and pokeys. Have also ordered a Arduino card to use for two spesiffic functions, and this needs some scripting.

FDS SYS is a good card, but stop telling ppl it's the only thing to choose.

4. Dislikes Westozy, StephenBalmer disliked this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Besides that, they are ridiculously expensive.

6. Thanks StephenBalmer thanked for this post
    Likes StephenBalmer liked this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

My sincere thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

The company’s name is TRC Simulators and their gauges,boards etc go under the name of “Simkit” perhaps that will make it clearer ?

When I see you say "Besides the opencockpits cards, no programming is needed" my eyes light up for as I have said in my mail my knowledge of programming is very limited. Could you perhaps tell a little more about how the communication commands between the card and the PC is established ?

I have read through other problem mail on the site here and found it most interesting and informative. As I explained in my own mail I do not require the card to carry out any switch, pushbutton or macro commands as I have these taken care of by using three of Leo Bodnor’s BU0836X Universal Joystick Controllers in conjunction with FSUIPC4 and using a further three monitors and turning more to software than hardware. My cockpit is generic and the commands that I am trying to get at are some of the offsets available from FSUIPC4, which would not involve more than ten or twelve.

From reading at the site and downloading tutorials and I have come to the conclusion that two Open Cockpit cards would be essential to go down this road and they are "The Master IOCard" and the "USB Expansion Card". Is this correct ? Is there any other card required ? Now I also understood that SIOC programming was required (this scares me) and that is why when I see the above comment regarding no programming required I feel the answer may lie here. I can accept that you can not expect anything to be handed to you on a plate but just within your capabilities.

Now I have read some tutorials on SIOC and also that you are a very friendly lot on this site and are prepared to share scripts I would very much like to understand how to interface my hardware with my own very limited knowledge. Is it through what I see referred to as "Basic SIOC" ? Does this require more common sense than programming knowledge ? Is their sufficient software provided with the cards to create communication and functioning of same ? I have read lekseecon's tutorial on how to compile files and it is excellent and easy to understand, however , one thing that is not explained for dummies like me is how to write the file initially.

As I have said above I very much appreciate your help.

300+ Forum Addict

nax228,

Please read what toktiny was asking:

"To put it in a nutshell. I want to buy an I/O card that has some offsets preset and contains the software to communicate with FSX. This card will only be used to feed an O/Head panel containing warning lights. My knowledge of useing I/O cards is very limited and I would be most grateful if someone from the site could advise me as to the best way to achieve this."

I therefore passed on to him, MY OPINION, hoping this would help, with respect, I still feel this is the best card for his job.

If you have some differing opinion on helping the gentlemen concerned, please do so, But please do not critisize my contribution to him. That is not what this forum is about. It is about helping others who may have some questions about their project and need some constructive advice.

......................Brian W.

9. Likes Westozy liked this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

+1 for FDS cards as Brian Williamson Says.

Can I just add, that sometimes money doesn't come into it, and there are many cockpit builders who buy the best, and that's their choice. For all the members who mention 'overpriced' in regards to a cockpit product, can I just ask 'over priced to who?'. There are plenty of people out there building cockpits who splash the cash, and why not, they have probably earn't it and worked hard for it, and as a result have great looking cockpits. Again, their choice, it annoys me when people say 'this is over priced'. Its what an individual is willing to pay for it. As they say, if you have to ask the price then you probably cant afford it.
    GA or the Highway!

11. Likes Westozy liked this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Well, I'm very happy for those people that can splash out unlimited cash for their cockpits. There're are, however, more builders that have to economize.
    And when I see a product with about 30 euro's worth of parts + a 50 euro circuit board selling for over 300 euros I have every right to shout overpriced, they're just taking advantage of the fact that it's a niche market.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

they're just taking advantage of the fact that it's a niche market.
    Everything to do with cockpit building is niche, its a niche market indeed. Don't get me wrong, I cannot afford FDS but if I could, I would buy, but I don't criticize them because I cant afford them, its 'courses for horses' at the end of the day. I buy the best I can afford. An I/O board isn't just about the cost of component and the PCB it sits on. You are forgetting the cost of their time for the development, design, planning, research, expertise, skill, testing, marketing, and everything else that goes into the overall cost OTHER than the $30 of components + $50 pcb. PLUS they are a business AND they need to make a profit and their business seems to be thriving, although they are on the higher end of the niche business, they market themselves as a premium and professional company that targets professional aviation business & training organisations that need professional products and cockpits. If the home cockpit builder can afford FDS in their home, then they are very lucky and I understand too why someone that can afford to, can buy their products. You buy the best you can afford!
    GA or the Highway!

500+ This must be a daytime job

To get back on topic

The main factors for selecting IOCards should be

1)Your own experience, competence and enthusiasm for learning new things

2)How much time are you prepared to invest in learning new skills etc

3)How much money do you wish to allocate

4)The functionality of the various cards, ease to use, software, expandability.

One persons choice is unlikely to suit another, all the cards mentioned above have their merits and supporters. However, it is better to do the research and make a decision based on the above factors.

If you like lower level programming, have the time but not the money then Arduino are good. If you have no programming skills or much time then FDS boards are good. The OC, Pokeys and Phidgets come in between - I have excluded Leo Bodnar cards as they have no output functions.The OP needs to make the decision based on research and a realistic interrogation of his own capabilities.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast