• MyCockpit Announcements

Published on 03-19-2010 06:08 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. MyCockpit Announcements

MyCockpit ® Introducing ""Mike Powell" to MyCockpit

I'm very excited to introduce a new segment to MyCockpit. The renowned Mike Powell will be presenting "Tips" regarding flight simulation building, his section is called "Mikes Tips."

Most of you have know Mike because of his continued contribution to our hobby. I think everyone knows of mikesflightdeck.com Mike was the first to present such a site and personally I couldn't of build my cockpit without it. His continued support throughout the many web sites related to Flight Simulation has been enormous.
    Published on 03-19-2010 03:57 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. MyCockpit Announcements

MyCockpit ® Presents "Mikes Tips" by Mike Powell

Choosing a Potentiometer for Sim Controls

We use potentiometers (“pots”) to convert the mechanical motion of our simulator controls into electrical signals our computers can use. A pot is a three terminal variable resistor. Two of the terminals connect to the ends of the resistance element. The third connects to a moveable contact called the wiper. Moving the wiper changes the resistance between the wiper contact and the other terminals. Interface circuitry uses this changing resistance to create a changing voltage which is converted to a digital number which is passed to the simulator application which does really neat things (hopefully). While there are other devices that can be used to sense control movement, the potentiometer is the most common.

Click on "Read More" for detailed article.